From: Helmut Meukel on
"Ulrich Korndoerfer" <ulrich_wants_nospam(a)prosource.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>> Seriously, do you remember yet, how and where you got
>> the information, which groups are there to discuss VB-topics?
>> Was your first try, to open a NewsReader and check what
>> your ISP had to offer - or did you searched the Web?
>>

> Surely not from fishing from a NNTP-providers group list ;-) To be honest, I
> don't remember, nowadays I would search using Google :-)

Thought I should answer to this:
Starting about 1993 I subscribed to some mailing lists at
peach.ease.lsoft.com (VISBAS-L, VB-DATA-L, ...), but in mid 1996
I set my subscription to NOMAIL, due to the fact that I was for weeks
at customer sites without internet access, and got overwhelmed by the
masses of mails waiting for me for download over a 64k ISDN line.

I received quartely mails from the listserver to ensure my mail account
was still valid.
Last fall I got a new Vista PC and transferred my emails to Windows Mail
on this box.
Since February I'm retired now and have more free time.
In January I looked at the entry Microsoft Communities in Windows Mail
and found the VB groups there.
Now, after the anouncement of M$ I looked up the mailing list VISBAS-L
- I'm still subscribed there - and found the traffic there is extremely low.
The problem with this list is - AFAIK - you must subscribe there to get
access. It's free, but it's a closed group.

Helmut.

From: dpb on
Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:

> Everybody (and MS did so) can open up one or more news server (like the
> news.microsoft.com I'm using) and provide news services from there, and
> establish a group hierarchy there on its own likings.
>
> The question is: will this hierarchy be mirrored by the peers you named

I've never accessed the microsoft servers...I used my own ISPs
newsserver until they dropped service; since then I've used several
different services; each has mirrored the MS hierarchy.

> And what happens when MS now kills its own news servers including the
> hierarchy? Can MS demand to remove them from the peers that currently
> mirror them? Will perhaps some peers sigh and say: finally we can get
> rid of them?

I'm not positive -- initially I was thinking there would be nothing
missing except that the MS servers wouldn't be there. Schmidt did
remind me of the usenet control messages -- if MS were to choose to do
so they could broadcast a "rmgroup" message that, if it were honored,
would aiui, remove the group from a mirror. If that did happen, then I
guess the death star scenario would possibly come to pass.

> There are unanswered questions, of course. But I think, it is better to
> react "proactively" than sitting there and wait until it may hurt, at
> least as long nobody can definitely tell what consequences the MS
> announcement has.

I'll just wait and see if they do actually pull the plug on the group(s)
am watching and if so, move to comp.lang.* If there's traffic I'll
stay, if not, ...

Anyway, that would be my recommendation of the path to proceed instead
of trying to create a whole new hierarchy.

From: Leo on
dpb used his keyboard to write :
> Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:
>
>> Everybody (and MS did so) can open up one or more news server (like the
>> news.microsoft.com I'm using) and provide news services from there, and
>> establish a group hierarchy there on its own likings.
>>
>> The question is: will this hierarchy be mirrored by the peers you named
>
> I've never accessed the microsoft servers...I used my own ISPs newsserver
> until they dropped service; since then I've used several different services;
> each has mirrored the MS hierarchy.
>>
>> And what happens when MS now kills its own news servers including the
>> hierarchy? Can MS demand to remove them from the peers that currently
>> mirror them? Will perhaps some peers sigh and say: finally we can get rid
>> of them?
>
> I'm not positive -- initially I was thinking there would be nothing missing
> except that the MS servers wouldn't be there. Schmidt did remind me of the
> usenet control messages -- if MS were to choose to do so they could broadcast
> a "rmgroup" message that, if it were honored, would aiui, remove the group
> from a mirror. If that did happen, then I guess the death star scenario
> would possibly come to pass.

>> There are unanswered questions, of course. But I think, it is better to
>> react "proactively" than sitting there and wait until it may hurt, at least
>> as long nobody can definitely tell what consequences the MS announcement
>> has.
>
> I'll just wait and see if they do actually pull the plug on the group(s) am
> watching and if so, move to comp.lang.* If there's traffic I'll stay, if
> not, ...
>
> Anyway, that would be my recommendation of the path to proceed instead of
> trying to create a whole new hierarchy.

Im only posting new threads over at comp.lang.basic.visual but will
keep replying here just incase MS can and do kill this heirachy

From: dpb on
Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> dpb schrieb:
>> Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:
>>
>>> Surely not from fishing from a NNTP-providers group list ;-) To be
>>> honest, I don't remember, nowadays I would search using Google :-)
>>
>> For usenet users, that's surely what I'd expect.
>
> I remember I had done that then in the olden times ;-) But I quickly was
> lost in the ultra deep hierarchies. The most annoying thing was that to
> get a grasp what really was going on under the advertised name I had to
> sign them on in my news client and then had to scan some posts to see
> whats up. That was very time consuming and frustrating.

Guess we're so different as to make t'other's style incomprehensible,
Ulrich... :)

I just used the newsreader's facility to search on the hierarchy for
keyword or two; if it looked promising title and showed signs of
activity, addeded it to the "watched" list (all of a checkbox and
acknowledgement in most current readers) and then lurked for a few days
and decided "Up/Down". Within a couple days was down to the groups have
followed for years...I'd never go back and try to read previous postings
a priori unless was searching for answer to specific question. For that
the old dejanews was the cats' meouw; don't know there's better than
google groups at present as sorry as its interface is... :( But that's
a far different story than trying to find a group.

From: dpb on
Leo wrote:
> dpb used his keyboard to write :

>> I'll just wait and see if they do actually pull the plug on the
>> group(s) am watching and if so, move to comp.lang.* If there's
>> traffic I'll stay, if not, ...
>>
>> Anyway, that would be my recommendation of the path to proceed instead
>> of trying to create a whole new hierarchy.
>
> Im only posting new threads over at comp.lang.basic.visual but will keep
> replying here just incase MS can and do kill this heirachy

What one might want to consider for the regulars as a migration aid
would be to pick one or the other (I'd suggest given this one is
..*.general.discussion c.l.b.visual.misc instead but no terribly strong
feeling) would be to start including both groups in all future posts to
start some continuity going forward if the ms groups do get yanked.
That'll also find a few new posters as they come if so...

--
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: data disapear