From: Ulrich Korndoerfer on
Hi,

dpb schrieb:
> Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:
>> Hi Karl,
>>
>> this is my third attempt to get my post through. I attach it as
>> zip-archive. Hope that helps.
>
> Well, not really since usenet is a text-only format; only some web-based
> front ends or extended mail/newsreaders know what to do w/ attachments.
>
> --

Thunderbird seems to have no problems. My post this time came through
and my newsreader has the attachment.

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.proSource.de/Downloads/
From: GS on
dpb explained on 5/7/2010 :
> Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:
>> Hi Karl,
>>
>> this is my third attempt to get my post through. I attach it as
>> zip-archive. Hope that helps.
>
> Well, not really since usenet is a text-only format; only some web-based
> front ends or extended mail/newsreaders know what to do w/ attachments.

Such as MesNews, for example, which is what Karl uses. I got the
attachment so I'm sure he will too!

From: dpb on
Ulrich Korndoerfer wrote:

> Thunderbird seems to have no problems. My post this time came through
> and my newsreader has the attachment.

T-bird is an enhanced reader and newsservers aren't bound to honor
attachments so it'll be hit 'n miss at best.

From: Mayayana on
I have no problem getting your post in OE.

I don't mean to be a wet towel with all this
inspiration people are showing, but as you said:

"the gmane nntp-server. This will be the only host that allows nntp-access
to the to be founded groups. So a new user searching for the new groups will
not find them"

Even just going to comp.* is likely to lose people
who do a search, find the MS forums, and think
that's all there is. If the group is only on gmane
then won't it probably just end up being a small
club of regulars?

Also, what about a name like visualbasic5/6 or
vb.version5/6, etc. rather than vbclassic? It's not
classic. It's just plain VB. The "classic" name wouldn't
be recognized by most people. Something like vb5/6
would still make clear that it's a non-.Net group. Even
new DotNetters probably know that VB6 is not VB.Net
(even if they don't know that VB.Net is not VB :).

From: Ulrich Korndoerfer on
Hi,

Mayayana schrieb:

> I have no problem getting your post in OE.
>
> I don't mean to be a wet towel with all this
> inspiration people are showing, but as you said:
>
> "the gmane nntp-server. This will be the only host that allows nntp-access
> to the to be founded groups. So a new user searching for the new groups will
> not find them"

To be precise: if one subscribes to any common NNTP-services provider
and there lists the available ngs, the vb group will not show up. At
least I think so. Perhaps Olaf could clarify this. Things would change
if gmane is reflected to the other NNTP-servers too (I don't know).

> Even just going to comp.* is likely to lose people
> who do a search, find the MS forums, and think
> that's all there is. If the group is only on gmane
> then won't it probably just end up being a small
> club of regulars?

That's a "risk", yes. It is very important to propagate the to be new
place as broad as possible, eg. in this NG before it is shut dowwn.

> Also, what about a name like visualbasic5/6 or
> vb.version5/6, etc. rather than vbclassic? It's not
> classic. It's just plain VB. The "classic" name wouldn't
> be recognized by most people. Something like vb5/6
> would still make clear that it's a non-.Net group. Even
> new DotNetters probably know that VB6 is not VB.Net
> (even if they don't know that VB.Net is not VB :).

The addendum classic should make it clearly different from the .NET
version. Versioning (5/6) imho is not necessary, because MS did not so
in his groups, and versions 1 to 4 are really old, 5 and 6 are the newer
ones (one year apart) and do not so much differ, so most questions
generally can be answered for 5/6.

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.proSource.de/Downloads/