From: Unknown on
There is no such thing as a good reliable registry cleaner.

From: Spamlet on

"Peter" <nospam(a)nospam.com.invalid> wrote in message
> On 07/08/2010 05:09 PM, Barbara wrote:
>> Unable to find any specific category for a registry question so am
>> posting
>> the question here. The registry on the computer needs to be cleaned.
>> Most
>> of the errors I am getting are related to registry problems. I am not
>> computer knowledgeable to clean the registry manually. I wonder if
>> someone
>> could suggest a good, reliable and trustworthy registry cleaner software
>> and
>> that would not be too expensive. Thanks!
>
> You can try CCleaner at http://www.ccleaner.com/ Be sure and make a back
> up before fixing anything and run it THREE times to catch everything.
>
> --
> Peter

Most of the 'errors' picked up in CCleaner's registry ap are just links to
things like Google Earth, that only resolve when you are online at their
site. You have to have a good knowledge of what is and has been on your
computer, and how each prog works, before you can decide whether an 'error'
is real. By and large it is better just to use this to help you find
suspect entries than to try and 'clean' with it.

There are oodles of warnings about registry cleaners in these columns.

From: HeyBub on
Barbara wrote:
> Unable to find any specific category for a registry question so am
> posting the question here. The registry on the computer needs to be
> cleaned. Most of the errors I am getting are related to registry
> problems. I am not computer knowledgeable to clean the registry
> manually. I wonder if someone could suggest a good, reliable and
> trustworthy registry cleaner software and that would not be too
> expensive. Thanks!

Nonsense.

The errors you are getting most certainly point to problems, but the
problems are NOT with the registry. The registry may be involved, but it is
NOT the source of the problems.

Forget about "registry cleaners" (otherwise known as "destroyers of all that
is good and true - there won't BE a Shire!").

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted,
tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized (it doesn't), read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

Also see
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx

From: Bruce Chambers on
Barbara wrote:
> Unable to find any specific category for a registry question so am posting
> the question here. The registry on the computer needs to be cleaned.

What makes you think so?

> Most
> of the errors I am getting are related to registry problems.

What makes you think so?

> I am not
> computer knowledgeable to clean the registry manually.

Then you're certainly not knowledgeable enough to determine whether or
not the registry has anything to with your unidentified problems, much
less to safely use any sort of registry "cleaner."

> I wonder if someone
> could suggest a good, reliable and trustworthy registry cleaner software and
> that would not be too expensive. Thanks!

Simply put, there is no such thing.

Why would you even think you'd ever need to clean your registry?
What specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some
program's bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be
fixed by using a registry "cleaner?"

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would
be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the
specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. After
all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally,
the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely
to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
multiple changes simultaneously. The only thing needed to safely clean
your registry is knowledge and Regedit.exe.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change.

Having repeatedly seen the results of inexperienced people using
automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user. If you lack the knowledge and experience to
maintain your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

More importantly, no one has ever demonstrated that the use of an
automated registry "cleaner," particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good, whatsoever. There's
certainly been no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use
of such products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's
performance or stability. Given the potential for harm, it's just not
worth the risk.

Granted, most registry "cleaners" won't cause problems each and
every time they're used, but the potential for harm is always there.
And, since no registry "cleaner" has ever been demonstrated to do any
good (think of them like treating the flu with chicken soup - there's no
real medicinal value, but it sometimes provides a warming placebo
effect), I always tell people that the risks far out-weigh the
non-existent benefits.

I will concede that a good registry *scanning* tool, in the hands
of an experienced and knowledgeable technician or hobbyist can be a
useful time-saving diagnostic tool, as long as it's not allowed to make
any changes automatically. But I really don't think that there are any
registry "cleaners" that are truly safe for the general public to use.
Experience has proven just the opposite: such tools simply are not safe
in the hands of the inexperienced user.

A little further reading on the subject:

Why I don't use registry cleaners
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

AumHa Forums • View topic - AUMHA Discussion: Should I Use a Registry
Cleaner?
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

--

Bruce Chambers