From: Incognitus on
On 07/12/2010 02:04 AM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Incognitus wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> I'm surprised you didn't tell Eddie of the Backup folder.
>
> IIRC he didn't state that it was a problem for him. If he had, I'd have
> pointed him to...
>
> Restoring Registry Keys after Cleanup
> http://boards.live.com/safetyboards/thread.aspx?ThreadID=4868

IIRC it was KB that made those two statements and was reminded of a
restore point created but I don't recall anyone mentioning the Backup
folder http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 oh well, thanks.
From: Eddie on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [...]
>> your affiliation toward ms products.
>>
>> I do have a question though regarding this thread, but first, an excerpt
>> from the link you posted re: O/P.
>> ------\/
>>
>> "Microsoft has a freebie online program at
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm. Being the Godfather's
>> program it should be safe....theoretically. It didn't do me any harm.
>> I strongly recommend that you, or anyone else, avoid using the onecare
>> registry cleaner
>>
>> Here's why:
>>
>> The onecare cleaner offers no chance to backup what is removed and
>> whatever it removes is gone, forever. Should it mistakenly remove a key
>> or value needed by your operating system or software it's gone along
>> with your program or operating system. I've seen onecare's registry
>> cleaner completely hose systems."
>> ------
>>
>> My question is: WHY did Bill/Micro allow this program to be written in
>> the first place? Why are ppl saying to Avoid it at all costs? (yet it is
>> written by M/S)
>> Lastly, and again, .. why did micro put it out there for all to see
>> Knowing Full Well that NO registry cleaner works at all.. and especially
>> considering each persons computer is different due to d/loads and
>> software and blah blah.
> <snip>
>> What do you reckon?
>
> A very sore subject! I reckon that many longtime MVPs are Microsoft's
> most vocal critics (vs. newer MVPs who are basically "MS Enthusiasts;"
> e.g., the obnoxious Win7 Launch Parties).
>
> I can't think of one Windows MVP who didn't take MS to task for
> misguidedly including a "Registry cleaner" in OneCare when beta testing
> began in 2006. (Four years later and we're still griping about it so if
> you think MVPs have much "pull" these days, think again.)
>
> The Windows Live OneCare Safety Center's
> (http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm) "Clean up" scan is MS's
> online "Registry cleaner," and it's included when you run the Full
> Service scan. Even while the applications were in beta, this started
> causing problems (i.e., stuff was "cleaned" that shouldn't have been),
> so much so that Support had to make this page available, primarily due
> to MVP pressure):
> http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/thread.aspx?ThreadID=4868
>
> While OneCare itself has been discontinued (cf.
> http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/activation/oc_eol_guidance.htm),
> the online scans remain available and haven't been changed at all.
>
> The The Windows Live OneCare Safety Center's online scan for Vista/Win7
> is the Full Service scan only (i.e., you can't just run the Protection
> scan) and continues to cause problems for users; cf.
> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm.
>
> Even Mark Russinovich (Technical Fellow in the MS Platform and Services
> Division) criticized the use of Registry cleaners back in 2005:

Pa,,
I only just got to this post, (and I searched for it for ages, just
couldnt see the usual 'green arrow' my end to say I had replied to
someone.) and I'd like to say before I motor on and read all other posts
in this thread, that I have yet again elevated you to 'top of the list';
and my reason>> your honesty Pa, simply your honesty in saying it is a
sore topic/subject.
I'll go read the rest now.

Cheers Pa.

Ed
From: Eddie on

> Registry cleaners themselves do no harm, it's the clueless twit using
> them that causes the harm, the proof is in the two false statements
> quoted above.
>
> I'm surprised you didn't tell Eddie of the Backup folder.

Hi,,

He probably didnt tell Eddie that, because he already knew Eddie wasnt
talking about back-ups and the like at that stage,, but was merely
enquiring about about MS's version of a Reg Cleaner as per the link.;
and how poor newbs can get tangled up in the web of Reg cleaners.
I found his answer to be 'right on the money', and hence why I always
peruse his posts... he has an air of humility about him.

Ed
From: Eddie on
Bill in Co wrote:
> That's just because THEY didn't run it at the right time of the day.
> What's the matter with you? It takes skill to know what time of the day is
> best. :-)

I heard Friday arvos were a good time,, might even get your petrol
cheaper too. (chuckle)

Ed

From: Unknown on
There was one post by a computer repair shop owner who stated he has fixed
hundreds of computers
that were damaged by the owner running a registry cleaner. I'm sure you can
find his post
in your quote of 442,902 archived by Google. Also of the millions of
computers
in existence, how many were damaged by a registry cleaner and not reported?