From: Nil on
On 11 Jul 2010, "Unknown" <unknown(a)unknown.kom> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Don't be so stupid. You know very well I cannot do that simply
> because they were deleted.

Really!?! By whom? Google has been archiving
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general for a decade or more. If they exist,
you should find your hundreds right there among the 442,902 messages
they have archived. Check it out if you are so sure.

> You poll all other posters for their positions.

I thought you insisted on facts, not "positions".

Be informed not opinionated.
From: Nil on
On 11 Jul 2010, "Bill in Co" <surly_curmudgeon(a)earthlink.net> wrote
in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> I can't say if it was hundreds, but it was definitely in the
> several dozen range, and not just a handful or two (I'm talking
> about over ALL the years I've been monitoring them).

That's my point, there aren't "hundreds". Look, I'm not advocating the
use of registry cleaners and I'm fully aware of their potential for
damage. I agree, there's little or no need for the average user to use
them. I've seen a significant number of believable anecdotes, but I see
FAR more of these hysterical Cassandra warnings than real cases of
damage.

My real problem in this case is this annoying dweeb "Unknown" who
consistently flits in with its stock admonishments about not expressing
opinions, all the while spewing its own hyperbolic FUD.

I say, state the situation, relate your experiences, cite documented
cases. There's no need to exaggerate and spread old wives tales.
From: Bill in Co on
Nil wrote:
> On 11 Jul 2010, "Bill in Co" <surly_curmudgeon(a)earthlink.net> wrote
> in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
>> I can't say if it was hundreds, but it was definitely in the
>> several dozen range, and not just a handful or two (I'm talking
>> about over ALL the years I've been monitoring them).
>
> That's my point, there aren't "hundreds". Look, I'm not advocating the
> use of registry cleaners and I'm fully aware of their potential for
> damage. I agree, there's little or no need for the average user to use
> them. I've seen a significant number of believable anecdotes, but I see
> FAR more of these hysterical Cassandra warnings than real cases of
> damage.

I think that until you have been really burned by their use, it's just too
easy to gloss over. Over all time, I've used several in the past, and have
experienced some of their pitfalls. But I've still got some installed.
(I use one to clean out some of the Recent Documents lists, and also to see
if anything has changed after I've installed or uninstalled a program,
something that might become problematic later on. For example, if I've
uninstalled a program and then notice a large increase in the number of
reported "errors" (which is rare, but it has happened), it's likely I'll
just go back and restore an image backup, and just LEAVE the program
installed).

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Incognitus wrote:
<SNIP>
> I'm surprised you didn't tell Eddie of the Backup folder.

IIRC he didn't state that it was a problem for him. If he had, I'd have
pointed him to...

Restoring Registry Keys after Cleanup
http://boards.live.com/safetyboards/thread.aspx?ThreadID=4868

From: Incognitus on
On 07/11/2010 02:19 PM, Unknown wrote:
> Absolute hogwash. There have been hundreds of posts on this newsgroup of
> computers being rendered inoperative
> by the user running a registry cleaner. Simply running a registry cleaner
> has caused damage.

Reading comprehension 101 is a must.