From: Nil on
On 11 Jul 2010, "Unknown" <unknown(a)unknown.kom> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Absolute fact. If you have been monitoring this news group for the
> last six years you would know that. Registry cleaners have been
> labeled 'snake oil'. I personally had a problem with a registry
> cleaner and will not use one ever again.

Absolute horseshit. If you weren't just spouting your hyperbolic
opinion, you wouldn't say "hundreds". I challenge you to produce any
number even close to 100 such reports from this group.
From: HeyBub on
Eddie wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired,
>> boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized (it doesn't),
>> read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own
>> conclusions.
>

> Hi Pa,
>
> I have followed and respected your replies to posts for years, and
> also your affiliation toward ms products.
>
> I do have a question though regarding this thread, but first, an
> excerpt from the link you posted re: O/P.
> ------\/
>
> "Microsoft has a freebie online program at
> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm. Being the Godfather's
> program it should be safe....theoretically. It didn't do me any harm.
> I strongly recommend that you, or anyone else, avoid using the onecare
> registry cleaner
>
> Here's why:
>
> The onecare cleaner offers no chance to backup what is removed and
> whatever it removes is gone, forever. Should it mistakenly remove a
> key or value needed by your operating system or software it's gone
> along with your program or operating system. I've seen onecare's
> registry cleaner completely hose systems."
> ------
>
> My question is: WHY did Bill/Micro allow this program to be written in
> the first place? Why are ppl saying to Avoid it at all costs? (yet it
> is written by M/S)
> Lastly, and again, .. why did micro put it out there for all to see
> Knowing Full Well that NO registry cleaner works at all.. and
> especially considering each persons computer is different due to
> d/loads and software and blah blah.

I personally think the OneCare Registry Cleaner does nothing. It's a
placebo. It whirs and clanks. The lights flash. Things happen on the screen.
It has everything except flames.

Like a medical placebo, it makes people "feel" better that they've actually
done something to cure an imaginary pain.

It was developed, in my opinion, to satisfy a clamor for a MS "approved"
registry cleaner. "Find a need and fill it" is Microsoft's motto!

From: Unknown on
Don't be so stupid. You know very well I cannot do that simply because they
were deleted.
You poll all other posters for their positions.

From: Unknown on
Then you haven't been on this newsgroup very long.

From: Bill in Co on
I can't say if it was hundreds, but it was definitely in the several dozen
range, and not just a handful or two (I'm talking about over ALL the years
I've been monitoring them).