From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Eddie wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted,
>> tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized (it doesn't), read
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
>

> Hi [PA],
>
> I have followed and respected your replies to posts for years, and also
> your affiliation toward ms products.
>
> I do have a question though regarding this thread, but first, an excerpt
> from the link you posted re: O/P.
> ------\/
>
> "Microsoft has a freebie online program at
> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm. Being the Godfather's
> program it should be safe....theoretically. It didn't do me any harm.
> I strongly recommend that you, or anyone else, avoid using the onecare
> registry cleaner
>
> Here's why:
>
> The onecare cleaner offers no chance to backup what is removed and
> whatever it removes is gone, forever. Should it mistakenly remove a key
> or value needed by your operating system or software it's gone along
> with your program or operating system. I've seen onecare's registry
> cleaner completely hose systems."
> ------
>
> My question is: WHY did Bill/Micro allow this program to be written in
> the first place? Why are ppl saying to Avoid it at all costs? (yet it is
> written by M/S)
> Lastly, and again, .. why did micro put it out there for all to see
> Knowing Full Well that NO registry cleaner works at all.. and especially
> considering each persons computer is different due to d/loads and
> software and blah blah.
<snip>
> What do you reckon?

A very sore subject! I reckon that many longtime MVPs are Microsoft's most
vocal critics (vs. newer MVPs who are basically "MS Enthusiasts;" e.g., the
obnoxious Win7 Launch Parties).

I can't think of one Windows MVP who didn't take MS to task for misguidedly
including a "Registry cleaner" in OneCare when beta testing began in 2006.
(Four years later and we're still griping about it so if you think MVPs have
much "pull" these days, think again.)

The Windows Live OneCare Safety Center's
(http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm) "Clean up" scan is MS's
online "Registry cleaner," and it's included when you run the Full Service
scan. Even while the applications were in beta, this started causing
problems (i.e., stuff was "cleaned" that shouldn't have been), so much so
that Support had to make this page available, primarily due to MVP
pressure): http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/thread.aspx?ThreadID=4868

While OneCare itself has been discontinued (cf.
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/activation/oc_eol_guidance.htm), the
online scans remain available and haven't been changed at all.

The The Windows Live OneCare Safety Center's online scan for Vista/Win7 is
the Full Service scan only (i.e., you can't just run the Protection scan)
and continues to cause problems for users; cf.
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm.

Even Mark Russinovich (Technical Fellow in the MS Platform and Services
Division) criticized the use of Registry cleaners back in 2005:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx

Again, a very sore subject!

From: Nil on
On 10 Jul 2010, "a" <b(a)invalid.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> If CCleaner can find "suspicious" files on a clean Windows
> install, then how is that not a placebo effect? And you know what
> they say above having an open mind... it lets your brain fall out.

First of all, where are you seeing Ccleaner report "suspicious" files?
I've never seen it use that phrase, and the program isn't designed to
look for them. Are you sure you saw what you think you saw?

How about you tell us what those supposedly "suspicious" files are? If
you can't do that, there's no way we can say whether Ccleaner has found
anything legitimate or not. They could be cookies or temporary files,
which are all good candidates for removal.
From: Peter on
On 07/09/2010 03:35 AM, Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>>
>> You can try CCleaner at http://www.ccleaner.com/ Be sure and make a
>> back up before fixing anything and run it THREE times to catch
>> everything.
>>

> CCleaner's only strength, and the only reason anyone should use it, lies
> in its usefulness for cleaning up unused temporary files from the hard
> drive. It differs from the native Windows tool in that it allows more
> granular control and you can specify which folders you want scanned. For
> instance, WinXP's disk cleaner will examine only the profile folders of
> the user who is running the utility. On a single-user machine, this is
> fine, but on a family or other mult-use machine, the ability to clean
> temorary files from all of the user profiles at once is a great time saver.
>
> It's registry cleaner, however, is worthless. I've tested the most
> recent recent version (with all updates) version on a brand-new OS
> installation with no additional applications installed, and certainly
> none installed and then uninstalled, and CCleaner still managed to
> "find" over a hundred allegedly orphaned registry entries and dozens of
> purportedly "suspicious" files, making it clearly a *worthless* product,
> in this regard. (Not that any registry cleaner can ever be anything but
> worthless, as they don't serve any *useful* purpose, to start with.)

See my reply to Spamlet.

--
Peter
From: News123 on
Hi PA Bear,

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Even Mark Russinovich (Technical Fellow in the MS Platform and Services
> Division) criticized the use of Registry cleaners back in 2005:
> http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx
>

> Again, a very sore subject!

I personally don't think a lot about registry cleaners I have the
imperssion, they are more trouble than help.

However Mark Russinivich's blog does not really criticize Registry
cleaners, at least not the sections, that I read in the link you posted.

Mainly he confirms, that the Registry gets dirty over time and explains why.

Perhaps I'm havving problems with my English, but I have difficulties
understanding the first paragraph.

Mark Russinovich wrote in his blog: (first paragraph only):
> Registry cleaners have always been popular, but I never paid much
> attention to them. I originally thought that there might be valid
> reasons for their existence, but over time changed my mind, only to
> recently recognize that even today they can help maintain Registry
> hygiene.

- he says he never cared about cleaners
- then he says Cleaners might perhaps be useful
- then he says he changed his mind
- then he says they can help to mainain Registry Hygiene

I lack the big change of mind and especially the criticism, that you
mention.

Whatever I wouldn't waste time on cleaning the registry
I mostly clean the registry every few years by
erasing or replacing my HD and reinstalling evertyhing from scrach. ;-)

From: Peter on
On 07/10/2010 06:50 PM, News123 wrote:

> Whatever I wouldn't waste time on cleaning the registry
> I mostly clean the registry every few years by
> erasing or replacing my HD and reinstalling evertyhing from scrach. ;-)

That'll do it :-)

--
Peter