From: Yao Konan on
My main concern with the TI83/TI84 is that they are over priced
products that TI manage to sell in important quantity because they have
locked the US market and manage to somehow convince US teachers to push
their students to buy them.
Thus the US market is all but the right market to find out if the
TI83/TI84 are perfectly suited for the customers.
I personnaly think that they should have been significantly better
considering their excessive price or significantly cheaper.
The Casio fx-9860 is what i would called a better calculator for this
segment of the market.
It is fast,has a reasonnable resolution screen and very important a
built-in EQW.

From: duenodemonte on

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen ha escrito:

> Either my system clock (it seems to correct)
> or the outlook Express is mixed up - I'm in Finland
> and that is GMT+2

Just a test. I set my clock to 00.00.00 today 1/nov/06 just to see what
time is it refelcted on comp.sys.hp48

Daniel

From: duenodemonte on

duenodemo...(a)gmail.com ha escrito:

> Just a test. I set my clock to 00.00.00 today 1/nov/06 just to see what
> time is it refelcted on comp.sys.hp48
>
> Daniel

So... test fail ! It says 9:13 a.m. my local time.

.... must be "something" out there.

Daniel

From: mdr1024 on

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> mdr1024(a)gmail.com wrote:
> > The reason TI sells so many of this series because it the teachers are
> > telling the students that they have to buy them. I should know. When I
> And why do you think teachers recommend TI calculators ...
> because they do the job fine and are very well suited for the curriculum.
>
> JY

I won't dispute that, but if I were in a position to ask students to
pay almost $100 on a calculator, I would personally feel compelled to
suggest a calculator which they could use for years to come.

The TI-82/83/84 variations are not as well suited for higher level
mathematics as the TI-85/86
series are. The students may or may not use the extra features at
first, but they are spending money, so they should buy for the long
haul.

I think I got the TI-86 the week it was released, and I had a TI-85 at
the time, just as I got a TI-89 even though I had a TI-92, but I don't
think that any of us on any of these discussion groups (TI or HP) are
indicative of general purchase or usage habits when it comes to
calculators.

In recommending a TI-85 or TI-86, I would know that I was recommending
something for my students that they would not have to toss out should
they have to take linear algebra in university, for example.

Bear in mind I am thinking back a few years before the TI-89 was
available. I would not necessarily recommend the above models today.

- Marco

From: Yao Konan on

manjo a écrit :

> I would like to share my thoughts on this :-)
> -i don't think HP should bother to compete with 'nspire, here's why :

To the contrary HP should bother to compete with the NSpire if they are
interested at all by education market.

> Nspire will most likely be a dead project (something like Xpander for that
> matter)

Last time i check the ClassPad which is a copycat of the XPander was
doing quite well.
XPander wasn't canceled because of poor design but because of Carly
Fiorina wish that HP stopped to produce educational tool.
When you think about it HP would be ahead of its competitor in the
educational market if they didn't cancel it.

> Once they realize it is actualy compething with themselves. Most likely will
> not be as widely accepted by the market as previous models,
> since it is way too different (another word for ugly too :-).

They are not competing with themselves as they already have a
competitor:
The Casio ClassPad.
You know there is a third calculator company called Casio for whom i
have much more respect than HP nowadays.

> Most likely would not be allowed in scools, which is the main market for
> TI-s as i see it.

Last time i check,it wasn't banned from school and is already allowed
to all the exams where the TI89T is allowed as it has neither touch
screen or QWERTY keyboard(unfortunately).

> Finaly i wouldn't want a calculator without several nice ways to program it
> like we have with 49G+ and 50G.

You and i wouldn't want such a tool but it doesn't mean that the tons
of students and teachers for who even the TI89 is too powerful
wouldn't want one.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: hp 50g sd card
Next: Linsolve problem in HP-50g