From: Antti.Lukats on
On Sep 27, 6:55 pm, n...(a)puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote:
> "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com" <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> >On Sep 23, 10:47=A0pm, "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com"
> ><antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> Antti
> >> PS I am not as negative just trying to help you,
> >> and yes i have pretty much figured out
>
> >i must correct myself
>
> >s3e: no failsafe multiboot in SPI flash without external circuitry
>
> Whats the problem with that? The only limitation of this board is that
> you need an external JTAG interface to program it. It would be nicer
> to have JTAG thru the FTDI chip. That way you'll always have a
> fallback.
>
> --
> Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply
> indicates you are not using the right tools...
>                      "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"

missing multiboot was one major issue with S3E in my opinion
other FPGA had multiboot already, Xilinx was just leaping behind
they fixed it in S3A and V5 only

multiboot is a VERY important feature, no wonder pretty much all
FPGA vendors support it in their latest families.

Ah, when we talk about open-source user programmable
USB FPGA things, I already have one on my desk, well it
isnt opened yet to public, but it soon will be, it does
use FT245 and FPGA with multiboot feature, first image
is programmed with FTDI communication and some
default FPGA applicatation that is responsible for
SPI flash update, and user application auto start,
leaving 3 FPGA configurations for the user

Antti
From: -jg on
On Sep 28, 4:42 am, "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com"
<antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> >
> Anttis design would use
> 1 FT232R (also used for CLOCK!)

Why not FT2232H here, to "make it as good as you can," ?

> 2 S3E or S3A
> 3 spi flash

I assume this includes SPI Flash with 2b/4b modes, again "make it as
good as you can," ? ( or maybe even 2 SPI flash devices...)

-jg
From: Uwe Bonnes on
-jg <jim.granville(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 28, 4:42�am, "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com"
> <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> >
> > Anttis design would use
> > 1 FT232R (also used for CLOCK!)

> Why not FT2232H here, to "make it as good as you can," ?

The FT2232H costs more buck and needs more infrastructure. But I perfer it
too...
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: -jg on
On Sep 28, 9:48 am, Uwe Bonnes <b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-
darmstadt.de> wrote:
> -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why not FT2232H here, to "make it as good as you can," ?
>
> The FT2232H costs more buck and needs more infrastructure. But I perfer it
> too...

I like the potential for a reasonable rate continual sample, for
things like PC Frequency counter, Logic analyzer ets, as it's always
good to have a 'free instrument' or two, in any development kit, and
especially so for teaching.
{ We've been getting quite good results from SoundCards, on the 'free
instrument' front, (but with obvious bandwidth ceilings) }

-jg

From: Antti.Lukats on
On Sep 28, 12:48 am, Uwe Bonnes <b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-
darmstadt.de> wrote:
> -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 28, 4:42 am, "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com"
> > <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> >
> > > Anttis design would use
> > > 1 FT232R (also used for CLOCK!)
> > Why not FT2232H here, to "make it as good as you can," ?
>
> The FT2232H costs more buck and needs more infrastructure. But I perfer it
> too...
> --
> Uwe Bonnes                b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
>
> Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
> --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------

Right Uwe,

it does cost a lot of more infrastructure, and is more expensive as
chip as well,
so thats the reason, for lowest cost it would be FT232R, for
perfromance
it would be FT2232H or CY7C68013

Antti