From: Antti.Lukats on
On Sep 28, 1:52 am, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 28, 9:48 am, Uwe Bonnes <b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-
>
> darmstadt.de> wrote:
> > -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Why not FT2232H here, to "make it as good as you can," ?
>
> > The FT2232H costs more buck and needs more infrastructure. But I perfer it
> > too...
>
>   I like the potential for a reasonable rate continual sample, for
> things like PC Frequency counter, Logic analyzer ets, as it's always
> good to have a 'free instrument'  or two, in any development kit, and
> especially so for teaching.
>  { We've been getting quite good results from SoundCards, on the 'free
> instrument' front, (but with obvious bandwidth ceilings) }
>
> -jg

Jim,

for those who are looking for dirt cheap usb locic and protocol
analyzer FX2 chips provide a easy solution

i first found this in some german forums, but later trapped onto this
http://www.6-lab.com/index.php/projectlist/logicu

logic-U-Plus is GENERIC FX2 board that can be configured
to emulate either Locic from
www.saleae.com
or
USBee AX Pro from
www.usbee.com

well, I have relation to those folks, and not promoting
any such use, but well, such "solutions" are available
and far more easy to use then making own logic
analyzer based on FT2232H

Antti
From: Antti.Lukats on
On Sep 28, 9:28 am, "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com"
<antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 28, 1:52 am, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 28, 9:48 am, Uwe Bonnes <b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-
>
> > darmstadt.de> wrote:
>
> > > The FT2232H costs more buck and needs more infrastructure. But I perfer it
> > > too...
>
> >   I like the potential for a reasonable rate continual sample, for
> > things like PC Frequency counter, Logic analyzer ets, as it's always
> > good to have a 'free instrument'  or two, in any development kit, and
> > especially so for teaching.
> >  { We've been getting quite good results from SoundCards, on the 'free
> > instrument' front, (but with obvious bandwidth ceilings) }
>
> > -jg
>
> Jim,
>
> for those who are looking for dirt cheap usb locic and protocol
> analyzer FX2 chips provide a easy solution
>
> i first found this in some german forums, but later trapped onto thishttp://www.6-lab.com/index.php/projectlist/logicu
>
> logic-U-Plus is GENERIC FX2 board that can be configured
> to emulate either Locic fromwww.saleae.com
> or
> USBee AX Pro fromwww.usbee.com
>
> well, I have relation to those folks, and not promoting
> any such use, but well, such "solutions" are available
> and far more easy to use then making own logic
> analyzer based on FT2232H
>
> Antti

OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS

CORRECTION: I have NO relation to any of those folks,
monday morning, before cofee ;)

the software from saleae/usbee is licensed for free use
only with the hardware purchased from the official
resellers, any other use is not allowed.

I'd better take a break before posting any more

Antti
PS there is place for anything and everyone
if i say something could be done better, it
doesnt mean things done otherwise are
bad to the bones, or that i could them better
myself, anything that is done, completed
and useable is something good already
no matter the techncal solutions are

From: -jg on
On Sep 28, 6:28 pm, "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com"
<antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 28, 1:52 am, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sep 28, 9:48 am, Uwe Bonnes <b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-
>
> > darmstadt.de> wrote:
>
> > > The FT2232H costs more buck and needs more infrastructure. But I perfer it
> > > too...
>
> >   I like the potential for a reasonable rate continual sample, for
> > things like PC Frequency counter, Logic analyzer ets, as it's always
> > good to have a 'free instrument'  or two, in any development kit, and
> > especially so for teaching.
> >  { We've been getting quite good results from SoundCards, on the 'free
> > instrument' front, (but with obvious bandwidth ceilings) }
>
> > -jg
>
> Jim,
>
> for those who are looking for dirt cheap usb locic and protocol
> analyzer FX2 chips provide a easy solution
>
> i first found this in some german forums, but later trapped onto thishttp://www.6-lab.com/index.php/projectlist/logicu
>
> logic-U-Plus is GENERIC FX2 board that can be configured
> to emulate either Locic fromwww.saleae.com
> or
> USBee AX Pro fromwww.usbee.com

Those are not cheap, nor are they chips - and cannot pgm the FPGA
out of the box... - as this thread is about FPGA boards, my comments
were in that context.

ie what can do the PGM pathway _and_ give other runtime information,
almost for free.
In such single unit products, the incremental chip price variation is
not
material.
- Digikey shows the saving to be a princely $1 ;)

So, give the user a choice of much faster download times, and the
potential? for a free Logic/Frequency HW pathway, all for $1 more,
and
what would they choose ?
From: Uwe Bonnes on
rickman <gnuarm(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 12:42�pm, "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com"
> <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

<zillions of line of senseless quote delete>

Do people ever use archived news and get angry about unrelated quote meaning
unrelated search hits?

> Why a two layer board? I would expect any decent design to use at
> least four layers just so it can have a ground/power plane for noise
> reduction. Especially when you don't know what someone will be doing
> with it, best is to provide a bit of overkill. I'm not interested in
> saving every last penny on a development board like this.

With programmable pin helping the layouter to get a planar layout, the
bottom layer can be made quite a continous groundplane.

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: Antti.Lukats on
> Do people ever use archived news and get angry about unrelated quote meaning
> unrelated search hits?
>
> > Why a two layer board?  I would expect any decent design to use at
> > least four layers just so it can have a ground/power plane for noise
> > reduction.  Especially when you don't know what someone will be doing
> > with it, best is to provide a bit of overkill.  I'm not interested in
> > saving every last penny on a development board like this.
>
> With programmable pin helping the layouter to get a planar layout, the
> bottom layer can be made quite a continous groundplane.
>
> ..
>
> Bye
> --
> Uwe Bonnes                b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
>
> Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
> --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------

please complain to the GOOGLE (and saying that use something
else isnt an option always, sorry... I use what is the easiest way)
when replying using google news its not easy to delete the rubish
as it not even seen on screen

well, i see the thread is reached status where people start to
complain
about quoting issues, :(

Antti