From: Antti.Lukats on

> > logic-U-Plus is GENERIC FX2 board that can be configured
> > to emulate either Locic fromwww.saleae.com
> > or
> > USBee AX Pro fromwww.usbee.com
>
> Those are not cheap, nor are they chips - and cannot pgm the FPGA
> out of the box... - as this thread is about FPGA boards, my comments
> were in that context.
>
> ie what can do the PGM pathway _and_ give other runtime information,
> almost for free.
> In such single unit products, the incremental chip price variation is
> not
> material.
>  - Digikey shows the saving to be a princely $1 ;)
>
>  So, give the user a choice of much faster download times, and the
> potential? for a free Logic/Frequency HW pathway, all for $1 more,
> and
> what would they choose ?

Jim,

1) FT2232H prices have gone down a great deal, I wasnt even aware

well, if Cy would

1) remove the CPLD from the design

this would be GOOD

2) replace FT245 with FT2232H

this would be GOOD also

but [2] is optional :)

Antti

From: rickman on
On Sep 28, 7:58 am, Uwe Bonnes <b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-
darmstadt.de> wrote:
> rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 27, 12:42 pm, "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com"
> > <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> <zillions of line of senseless quote delete>
>
> Do people ever use archived news and get angry about unrelated quote meaning
> unrelated search hits?
>
> > Why a two layer board?  I would expect any decent design to use at
> > least four layers just so it can have a ground/power plane for noise
> > reduction.  Especially when you don't know what someone will be doing
> > with it, best is to provide a bit of overkill.  I'm not interested in
> > saving every last penny on a development board like this.
>
> With programmable pin helping the layouter to get a planar layout, the
> bottom layer can be made quite a continous groundplane.

Yes, that is true, but not my point. A single ground plane does
nothing to reduce noise on the power rails. The capacitor that is
formed by parallel planes spaced 10 mil in a PWB is the best power
supply decoupling device you can provide. Even on a very small board,
these planes provide significant noise elimination, both in terms of
minimizing the effect on the chips and also in terms of reducing
EMI.

I realize that many designs just don't have a need for this, but my
point was that a general purpose development/eval board needs to
consider a wide range of designs including ones that push the speed of
the device and have a number of outputs switching at high edge rates.
Capacitors alone will not normally address the problem adequately in
these cases.

Rick
From: rickman on
On Sep 28, 8:23 am, "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com"
<antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Do people ever use archived news and get angry about unrelated quote meaning
> > unrelated search hits?
>
> > > Why a two layer board?  I would expect any decent design to use at
> > > least four layers just so it can have a ground/power plane for noise
> > > reduction.  Especially when you don't know what someone will be doing
> > > with it, best is to provide a bit of overkill.  I'm not interested in
> > > saving every last penny on a development board like this.
>
> > With programmable pin helping the layouter to get a planar layout, the
> > bottom layer can be made quite a continous groundplane.
>
> > ..
>
> > Bye
> > --
> > Uwe Bonnes                b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
>
> > Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
> > --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
>
> please complain to the GOOGLE (and saying that use something
> else isnt an option always, sorry... I use what is the easiest way)
> when replying using google news its not easy to delete the rubish
> as it not even seen on screen
>
> well, i see the thread is reached status where people start to
> complain
> about quoting issues, :(

If you are using Google Groups, I hope you are clicking the spam and
reporting it. Google seems to continue to make this easier. The last
time I noticed, you had to open the "opions" and click "report the
message", then type at least "spam" into the edit box. Now I see that
there is a link at the bottom of the post where you can just click
once. It even confirms that the report has been accepted!

How much easier can it get?

Rick
From: Antti.Lukats on
On Sep 28, 6:45 pm, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 28, 8:23 am, "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com"
>

> <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > Do people ever use archived news and get angry about unrelated quote meaning
> > > unrelated search hits?

> > > With programmable pin helping the layouter to get a planar layout, the
> > > bottom layer can be made quite a continous groundplane.
>
> > > ..
>
> > > Bye
> > > --
> > > Uwe Bonnes                b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
>
> > > Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
> > > --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
>
> > please complain to the GOOGLE (and saying that use something
> > else isnt an option always, sorry... I use what is the easiest way)
> > when replying using google news its not easy to delete the rubish
> > as it not even seen on screen
>
> > well, i see the thread is reached status where people start to
> > complain
> > about quoting issues, :(
>
> If you are using Google Groups, I hope you are clicking the spam and
> reporting it.  Google seems to continue to make this easier.  The last
> time I noticed, you had to open the "opions" and click "report the
> message", then type at least "spam" into the edit box.  Now I see that
> there is a link at the bottom of the post where you can just click
> once.  It even confirms that the report has been accepted!
>
> How much easier can it get?
>
> Rick

I do report all spam messages, if you wanted to know that
Antti
From: -jg on
On Sep 29, 3:40 am, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, that is true, but not my point.  A single ground plane does
> nothing to reduce noise on the power rails.  The capacitor that is
> formed by parallel planes spaced 10 mil in a PWB is the best power
> supply decoupling device you can provide.  Even on a very small board,
> these planes provide significant noise elimination, both in terms of
> minimizing the effect on the chips and also in terms of reducing
> EMI.
>
> I realize that many designs just don't have a need for this, but my
> point was that a general purpose development/eval board needs to
> consider a wide range of designs including ones that push the speed of
> the device and have a number of outputs switching at high edge rates.
> Capacitors alone will not normally address the problem adequately in
> these cases.

I'd generally agree - a demoboard such as this, should not be a
'minefield for the unwary', but the design itself should be paste-able
into someone's project.
(unless it is some highly specific FPGA subset, that only uses half a
dozen IOs, but that's a different type of demoboard... )

A better place to drive the PCB cost down, is simply to reduce the
area.

-jg