From: nobody on
I like the site and the board, nice work! what is your intention for
the board looks like everything is available for another to reproduce
it. I dont get it whats the deal with only two layers, four is only
two more?

Sincerely,

Cy

From: Antti.Lukats on
On Sep 29, 10:22 pm, nobody <cydrollin...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the site and the board, nice work! what is your intention for
> the board looks like everything is available for another to reproduce
> it. I dont get it whats the deal with only two layers, four is only
> two more?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Cy

it is a nice board!
something even i may want to have, i have one spare 100E
maybe i just order this PCB :)

what with 2 layers?

some can do on 2, some cant.
thats the difference.

sure 4 is only 2 more than 2
and 6 is only 2 more than 4
so why not start with 12 layers?

Antti

From: emeb on
On Sep 29, 12:29 pm, "Antti.Luk...(a)googlemail.com"
<antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 10:22 pm, nobody <cydrollin...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I like the site and the board, nice work! what is your intention for
> > the board looks like everything is available for another to reproduce
> > it. I dont get it whats the deal with only two layers, four is only
> > two more?
>
> > Sincerely,
>
> > Cy
>
> it is a nice board!
> something even i may want to have, i have one spare 100E
> maybe i just order this PCB :)
>
> what with 2 layers?
>
> some can do on 2, some cant.
> thats the difference.
>
> sure 4 is only 2 more than 2
> and 6 is only 2 more than 4
> so why not start with 12 layers?
>
> Antti

@Cy - Thanks for the compliments. The board fab I use charges
significantly more for 4 layers than 2, so I try to do 2 layers only.
My original intention was to make the design available for some of the
folks on a mail list devoted to using FPGAs for electronic music.
After I built & tested it no one else ever followed though.

@Antti - Thanks. All the design materials are free for any use,
although I haven't included any specific copyright claims/releases. I
should probably do that.

FWIW, you can buy the boards directly from the fab I use. Cost is
about $32.50/ea plus ~$15 setup/shipping. Lead time is about 3wks.
Here's a link to their site with the details:

http://www.batchpcb.com/product_info.php?products_id=19296&check=609ea29581046016e0079ea8cd47a059

(BTW - I don't get anything out of this except a warm glow of
achievement)

Let me know if you have questions about it. Email addr is on my
webpage.

Eric
From: Nico Coesel on
nobody <cydrollinger(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I like the site and the board, nice work! what is your intention for
>the board looks like everything is available for another to reproduce
>it. I dont get it whats the deal with only two layers, four is only
>two more?

When using really cheap pcb makers like makepcb.com a 4 layer board is
twice as expensive as a 2 layer board. Besides, a 4 layer board isn't
a requirement. I recenty did an FPGA design on a 2 layer board. Used
the bottom layer as a ground plane and put 2 rings and a plane
underneath the FPGA on the top layer. And ofcourse a size 0402
decoupling capacitor on each power supply pin.

"If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"
From: emeb on
On Sep 29, 2:00 pm, n...(a)puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote:
> I recenty did an FPGA design on a 2 layer board. Used
> the bottom layer as a ground plane and put 2 rings and a plane
> underneath the FPGA on the top layer. And of course a size 0402
> decoupling capacitor on each power supply pin.

That's similar to what I did: on the backside I had ground plane plus
a 'snail-shell' of 3 concentric supply traces with vias through to the
top where the VQ100 package sits. I used 0603 caps on every supply pin
- some on the back, some on the front. Didn't have any supply
problems.

FWIW - I'm impressed that you used 0402 parts. I haven't tried to
handle parts that small yet, but I'm getting pretty good at the 0603s.

Eric