From: nobody on
Mike NG:

I was only vaguely aware of the adruino toolchain being open and its
ease of use, having such a large following and many are hobbyists.
Much work needs to be done on this front, but is not a show stopper. I
did a quick search for VHDL compilers and found some open license
programs, not sure how they work? OpenCores.org maybe a source for
looking into. It does seem that the ability of Xilinx toolset is
useful and not altogether useless in this particular endeavor. I like
the way it has been utilized in other projects as calls to particular
programming to put together a bin or bit or xsvf or other files of
need within a dos type command window and utilizing batch files to do
it all. I think this would be an easy transition for a Linux, or unix
user.

The board house that put these together is
overseasales(a)qdcircuits.net.

Nico,

I think the suggestion by you and others is valid and requires some
time and energy to make the JTAG chain within the USB communication a
reality, FT2232R.

Antti,

Still harping on the antiquated chip thing, dang. I mentioned that
this revolution of the design was for ease of build I had some S3E's
and wanted to use them in some design, I did they are consumed. The
thing about it is I can see that much of the support circuitry is up
and running putting an S6, with multiboot, in here would be possible
and would come up the first time I built it, support circuitry,
programming, power, and communication, is working. In fact trying to
get some less than 10 chips of the newly offered S6 with giga
transceivers.
I really appreciate the CPLD and will try and get it into the jtag
chain with the FT2232. I like the bus like ability of driving I/O into
or out of any pin on the FPGA, build a mux. So much of the I/O is hung
on the CPLD, this is akin to the muxes building many peripheries buses
with only the available I/O's on small MCUs. Sending out a programmed
CPLD for a project is also possible, therefore a programmable out of
the box board solution. Like the CPLD. Just add power and it is doing
the processing I have programmed in it.
Nothing is set in stone, in fact it is all ones and zeros, the ability
to change anything is possible and likely.

Uwe Bonnes,
I am not sure of the difficulty of the 2.5V vref on the jtag, but
would sure like to hear about the details. I am utilizing a ltc3455
four voltage output switching regulator which requires astonishingly
little support circuitry for a 1.2V, 1.8V, 2.5V and 3.3V at the usb
rating of ~ 2.5W.

JG

You asked the question of cheap communication for both programmming
and runtime information at an acceptable bandwidth not to mention the
power over usb. FTDI has been successful in this design and will be
looking at the FT2232 for all its communication protocols, jtag being
one of the most useful in this design. Another affordable option is
Ethernet and power over ethernet, which I have a design, but requires
about twice the funds to run prototype testing. Ethernet is a grand
solution with so much hanging on the internet, oh the possibilities.

All,

I thank you for your rich comments and ideas all have been more than
my expectations. I will be looking at many of them for another run at
at a better solution to my problem, because nothing is set in stone
and a change only requires some time, some thought, and some more of
my bad calculations. As for the discussion on the four layer board its
ability in many ways is worth the effort and cost. The complexity of
the design of the four layer board is hardly passed onto any
subsequent users, parts are still soldered onto the top or bottom not
on on the inner layers.

Antti,
you are still correct nobody still is interested in this board so I
think for now I will make it whisper BT for some marketing and fun.

Sincerely,

Cy Drollinger
Electronic Realization L.L.C.
cy(a)montana.net
PH: 406-586-5502
www.elec-real.com

From: -jg on
On Sep 29, 10:35 am, nobody <cydrollin...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> JG
>
> You asked the question of cheap communication for both programmming
> and runtime information at an acceptable bandwidth not to mention the
> power over usb. FTDI has been successful in this design and will be
> looking at the FT2232 for all its communication protocols, jtag being
> one of the most useful in this design.

Just to clarify, I was talking of their new FT2232H, which has
high speed USB.
There was a thread some weeks ago on cae, about the sustainable
data rate (no breaks/fixed tick-rate) on a 2232H, and I'm not sure
what the final answer was. 2232H has larger buffers, and higher peak
speeds, so the sustainable number has to be higher ?

-jg

From: Antti.Lukats on
On Sep 29, 1:57 am, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 10:35 am, nobody <cydrollin...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > JG
>
> > You asked the question of cheap communication for both programmming
> > and runtime information at an acceptable bandwidth not to mention the
> > power over usb. FTDI has been successful in this design and will be
> > looking at the FT2232 for all its communication protocols, jtag being
> > one of the most useful in this design.
>
> Just to clarify, I was talking of their new FT2232H, which has
> high speed USB.
> There was a thread some weeks ago on cae, about the sustainable
> data rate (no breaks/fixed tick-rate) on a 2232H, and I'm not sure
> what the final answer was. 2232H has larger buffers, and higher peak
> speeds, so the sustainable number has to be higher ?
>
> -jg

FTDI has claimed so 20MByte
this is more then 2 times less than with cypress FX2
Antti

From: emeb on
On Sep 28, 10:00 am, Andy Peters <goo...(a)latke.net> wrote:
> Another thing is that S3E appears to be available in more packages
> than S3A so you might be able to find a better fit for a particular
> design.

That's my principle objection to the S3A family. I buy my parts from
Digi-Key, and the only non-BGA packages for S3A are the 50K devices. I
have fairly limited assembly resources so BGA / QFN parts aren't
possible, but I want larger devices. What to do?

Eric
From: Antti.Lukats on
On Sep 29, 3:05 am, emeb <ebromba...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 28, 10:00 am, Andy Peters <goo...(a)latke.net> wrote:
>
> > Another thing is that S3E appears to be available in more packages
> > than S3A so you might be able to find a better fit for a particular
> > design.
>
> That's my principle objection to the S3A family. I buy my parts from
> Digi-Key, and the only non-BGA packages for S3A are the 50K devices. I
> have fairly limited assembly resources so BGA / QFN parts aren't
> possible, but I want larger devices. What to do?
>
> Eric

Altera has MUCH larger selection of non-BGA packages
so you can use the latest devices and HUGE ones if you
need, all in TQFP packages

I totally agree that S3A is BAD as of package selection
but Xilinx is doing many things bad/wrong/too late

S3 - good as of LARGE parts XC3S5000 !!!
S3E - not as good any more, large parts dropped, but larger part in
nonBGA as in S3A
S3A - good configuration options (multiboot) bad package options
S3AN - even worse package options
S3ADSP - large and better than S3A, but only 2 devices
S6 - better in some terms, but again limited package options

so there is never a best, its compromise so or so

S3A has multiboot, and need one power supply less than S3E
but you are pretty much limited to S3A(N) 50 if talking non BGA
while S3E gives 500 part in TQFP100

yes, actually if thinking S3E or S3A then winner is: Cyclone III :)

Cy@ dont give up ;) there is rule of thumb: it takes 6+ month
from initial product launch til you may hope some interest (sales)
your 6 months isnt past yet

S3E multiboot can be implemented using 0.49$ MCU adding
and expensive CPLD (bad $/feature ratio) to the board give
no benefits to the user, it makes the PCB and documentation
more expensive, yes you always have to consider documentation
as cost item, you spend time (or you pay$$ for someone todo it)

Antti