From: John John - MVP on
Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

> I'm not sure what the answer is. I know I'm not happy about it.

Few of us are happy about it, Charlie.

John
From: John John - MVP on
Dave Warren wrote:
> In message <xn0gud72glti3fw004(a)msnews.microsoft.com> "Jeff Gaines"
> <jgaines_newsid(a)yahoo.co.uk> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>> I have subscribes to alt.config - is anybody interested in getting
>> involved in a discussion there?
>
> Personally, I have to think alt. is the wrong place. It will take
> longer, but comp. would be a much better longterm home.

I agree. A new .microsoft hierarchy under the comp. would be a much
better place than the wild .alt hierarchy, it would be more
"professional" and give the hierarchy a bit more credence.

John
From: Dave Warren on
In message <OZPki6E#KHA.3580(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> John John - MVP
<audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> was claimed to have wrote:

>Dave Warren wrote:
>> In message <xn0gud72glti3fw004(a)msnews.microsoft.com> "Jeff Gaines"
>> <jgaines_newsid(a)yahoo.co.uk> was claimed to have wrote:
>>
>>> I have subscribes to alt.config - is anybody interested in getting
>>> involved in a discussion there?
>>
>> Personally, I have to think alt. is the wrong place. It will take
>> longer, but comp. would be a much better longterm home.
>
>I agree. A new .microsoft hierarchy under the comp. would be a much
>better place than the wild .alt hierarchy, it would be more
>"professional" and give the hierarchy a bit more credence.

All of that being said, using the existing microsoft.public hierarchy
would seem to make sense at least to a point, although creating new
groups would be difficult since there's no formal process to create new
groups in a formally almost-managed hierarchy.

comp. would definitely make a lot more sense to me than alt. though,
especially since there is a formal process to create groups, so getting
the groups created across a reasonable percentage of usenet servers is
actually feasible. comp. gets a lot more attention just by virtue of it
being comp. too.
From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
Well, I've proposed they create a 64bit NG. The response was not an
immediate "no", but rather -- would this be better in Answers or in TechNet?
I allowed as how either would work, since we cross over pretty generally,
but that the Answers heirarchy was probably better, since it will be more
discoverable for consumers. We'll see. I did at least get recognition that
this is not a "typical" NG or community, and there is value in keeping it
focused as it is.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

From: Carlos on
Charlie,
My e-mail response was also a "not no".
I have noticed that women tend to use a negative logic as opposed to
positive logic.
In my case it was not a robot but a woman who responded my e-mail ("Janice").
:)
Carlos