From: Carlos on
Hi,
Could you explain me a little more how to do it, I mean, the Eternal... thing?
I am using this web interface:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general&lang=en&cr=US&mid=77fccdc4-eeec-4de6-9c85-5960a84b89e5
but I am afraid it will fade out.
:)
Carlos

From: XS11E on
Carlos <Carlos(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Could you explain me a little more how to do it, I mean, the
> Eternal... thing? I am using this web interface:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.msp
> x?dg=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general&lang=en&cr=US&mid=77fcc
> dc4-eeec-4de6-9c85-5960a84b89e5 but I am afraid it will fade out.
>:)

Sure, you can get this group in Google Groups but please don't, that
would result in me and dozens of others killfiling you!

You need to use a newsreader, there are a bunch of free ones and you
already have Outlook Express or Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail,
depending on what version of Windows you're running.

There are many more, it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Go to http://www.eternal-september.org/ and sign up, then set your
newsreader for news.eternal-september.org. Depending on what
newsreader you use, there are plenty here who can assist you with this.

Next you'll need to download a list of all groups and then the search
box will find this one for you, subscribe to it and you're done.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Phoenix on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 10:41:01 -0700,
Carlos<Carlos(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Could you explain me a little more how to do it, I mean, the
Eternal... thing?
> I am using this web interface:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg
=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general&lang=en&cr=US&mid=77fccdc4-eeec
-4de6-9c85-5960a84b89e5
> but I am afraid it will fade out.
> :)
> Carlos

> "XS11E" wrote:

> > Carlos <Carlos(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >

> > > My main concern now is where (what forum) you will all be moving
> > > to. I would like to stay alive and helping users with the same
> > > cool guys that hang aroung here regulary.
> >
> > Why move? MSFT propagates this newsgroup throughout Usenet, my
headers
> > will show you I'm reading and posting this through Eternal-
> > September.org.
> >
> > If MSFT shuts down their servers the groups already spread to
Usenet
> > should still continue to exist.
> >

> > --
> > XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
> > The Usenet Improvement Project:
> > http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
> > .

There's also freenews.netfront.net, no registration required. I'm
posting from eternal -september on my phone right now and can't check
if freenews carries this NG but I'd be surprised if not.
From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
The web interface will definitely and absolutely be gone. If you need web
interface, you'll have to move to the forums, full stop. But there are
plenty of news servers, including free ones, that will continue to carry the
MS newsgroups, I expect.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

From: "BullDawg" eschol1948 AT Gmail Dot Com on
Tried the freenews.netfront.net, but it is read only, no posting. However,
news.eternal-september.org works fine. Just have to remember to make sure
you have your username and id entered into the account settings. Speed is
good, retention is only 120 days though.
--
BullDawg