From: Steve Fenwick on
In article <i39nbd$m5c$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
"Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid> wrote:

> Steve Fenwick wrote:
> > In article <Xns9DC91AB3EABD0HHI2948AJD832(a)69.16.185.247>,
> >
> > It might be a regionalism, or a Britishism/Americanism. In over 20
> > years I've never used, or heard used, "soldering pencil" in a lab in
> > the U.S., although I am familiar with the term. It's always been
> > "soldering iron", whether a giant thing to solder heavy cables, or a
> > tool suited to tiny ICs and SMT parts. Metcals are generally the best
> > I've seen for small devices; they put a high temperature (typically
> > 600 to 700F) into a very very small area very quickly (80W output).
> >
> > Steve
>
> C'mon, you never heard of a soldering pen?
> Buffalo

I've heard the term, but never used by me or techs in a lab.

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
From: Steve Fenwick on
In article <Xns9DC9A7663D490HHI2948AJD832(a)69.16.185.250>,
Dustin <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve Fenwick <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in
>
> > In article <Xns9DC91AB3EABD0HHI2948AJD832(a)69.16.185.247>,
> > Dustin <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> John Slade <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in

> >> Odd. I'm familiar with soldering irons as well as pencils, and we
> >> typically use the pencils for detail work that the iron generates
> >> too much heat for. Irons aren't good for changing out small
> >> transistors, IC's or caps due to the risk of damage, and especially
> >> these days with a pile of components nearby the one that has to be
> >> replaced; a pencil is the only way to safely do it. Lower wattage,
> >> less heat.
> >>

> > It might be a regionalism, or a Britishism/Americanism. In over 20
> > years I've never used, or heard used, "soldering pencil" in a lab in
> > the U.S., although I am familiar with the term. It's always been
> > "soldering iron", whether a giant thing to solder heavy cables, or a
> > tool suited to tiny ICs and SMT parts. Metcals are generally the
> > best I've seen for small devices; they put a high temperature
> > (typically 600 to 700F) into a very very small area very quickly
> > (80W output).
> >
> > Steve
> >

> 80watts output would burn an IC up on a wave soldered board...

Nope. Use it all the time that way. Melts the solder super-fast, keeps
the leads from getting hot. Try one if you get a chance.

Steve

From: Buffalo on

Dustin wrote:
> "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid> wrote in
>
>> Dustin wrote:
>>> That's like some electricians I know that call all 9" linemans
>>> pliers klein, even tho they aren't. As klein is actually a company
>>> name.
>>
>> Hey, how did you know I am a licensed electrician?
>> And yes, it is common in the trade to call them 'kleins', like in,
>> 'can I borrow your kleins?'
>
> Yep. Dykes as well, linemans, whatever. :) I have the kobalt set right
> now; as I killed my GB ones; they won't even cut romex now without
> putting up a fight. I'm not sure yet if I like the spring loaded
> kobalt ones I'm using now, but they sure do making cutting wire a
> since. They even cut MC cable now, without me snapping it in the
> place I want to cut first. Love em, and affordable at Lowe's.
>
> I didn't know your a licensed electrician. Are you a holding a
> journeymans license at present, or outright master electrician?
>
> I'm just a lowly apprentice with no official licensing yet.

Journeyman license. Never went for the Masters since I don't contract.
Buffalo
PS: When I ask for a liney, I usually mean a beer (Leinenkugel). :)

From: John Slade on
On 8/3/2010 2:47 PM, Buffalo wrote:
> Dustin wrote:
>> That's like some electricians I know that call all 9" linemans pliers
>> klein, even tho they aren't. As klein is actually a company name.
>
> Hey, how did you know I am a licensed electrician?
> And yes, it is common in the trade to call them 'kleins', like in, 'can I
> borrow your kleins?'
> Buffalo :)

It's like people calling powdered drink mix from Flavor
Aid, "Kool-Aid". I'm sure we've all heard the expression,
"Drinking the Kool-Aid" when talking about someone who follows
something or someone blindly. Well it came from the Jim Jones
tragedy in Jonestown, Guyana. They drank poisonded Flavor Aid
but most people still call it Kool-Aid.

They just wrote me an essay trying to explain why some
people call them soldering pencils and soldering guns rather
than irons. I've heard those expressions before, it's just a
matter of the person's background and doesn't really mean much.

John

From: John Slade on
On 8/2/2010 11:27 AM, Dustin wrote:
> John Slade<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in
>
>> On 8/1/2010 6:57 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
>>> "John Slade"<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Because he understands true viruses, he knows that they don't need
>>> to hide themselves in folders.
>>>
>>> I don't think he would have said what he said if you had said
>>> worms, or malware, instead of viruses.
>>
>> Well "virus" is a generic term these days. I was talking
>> about worms and/or trojans, I was using "virus" as a generic
>> term. I guess that clears it up.
>
> virus isn't a generic term, then or now. As a professional, I think it
> unwise of you to generalize what might be ailing the patient.

"Virus" is both a generic term and a specific term. Why do
you think they call the software used to clean trojans and
worms, "Anti-Virus" software? I'm sure you don't think that they
only clean viruses and leave trojans and worms alone. It's all a
matter of semantics. Just about all of the major anti-malware
vendors have products that they call Anti-Virus. This is because
it just stuck. You're a professional and you don't know this?

John