From: David H. Lipman on
From: "John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>

| On 8/4/2010 1:53 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "John Slade"<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>

>> | "Virus" is both a generic term and a specific term. Why do
>> | you think they call the software used to clean trojans and
>> | worms, "Anti-Virus" software? I'm sure you don't think that they
>> | only clean viruses and leave trojans and worms alone. It's all a
>> | matter of semantics. Just about all of the major anti-malware
>> | vendors have products that they call Anti-Virus. This is because
>> | it just stuck. You're a professional and you don't know this?

>> Sorry John - No.

| Well it's time you learned.

I've been studying malware since I had to erradicate the "Jerusalem.B" from a Novell 2.11
network. That was a true file infecting virus. I have been at this long enough to say
emphatically, YOU need to learn otherwise do NOT call yourself a professional.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>

| On 8/4/2010 2:48 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
>> "John Slade"<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

>> [...]

>>> I know exactly what I'm talking about. So tell me what tools do
>>> you use to remove worms and trojans from computers? Are any of them
>>> called "Anti-Virus" software?

>> Yes, but that is beside the point.

| No that's the point entirely. The word "virus" is
| acceptable to just about everyone except a few anal retentive
| people who love to go around correcting everyone.

Its is ONLY accecpted by the "uneducated" person. The ones who get infected!

--
Dave

From: Wolf K on
On 05/08/2010 17:23, David H. Lipman wrote:
[...]
> I'm sorry, just because the "average" person calls all malware a "virus" does not make it
> correct and if you insist on following this train of thought, please do NOT call yourself
> a "professional."

Yeah, well,context rules. No matter how carefully people use terminology
in their professional lives, words will escape into the wild, and then
all bets are off.

It's context that determines a word's meaning. In every-day usage,
"anti-virus" has come to mean what "anti-malware" means in a
professional context. That's just the way it is. The first rule of
communication is "Adapt to your audience."

cheers,
wolf k.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Wolf K" <wekirch(a)sympatico.ca>

| On 05/08/2010 17:23, David H. Lipman wrote:
| [...]
>> I'm sorry, just because the "average" person calls all malware a "virus" does not make
>> it
>> correct and if you insist on following this train of thought, please do NOT call
>> yourself
>> a "professional."

| Yeah, well,context rules. No matter how carefully people use terminology
| in their professional lives, words will escape into the wild, and then
| all bets are off.

| It's context that determines a word's meaning. In every-day usage,
| "anti-virus" has come to mean what "anti-malware" means in a
| professional context. That's just the way it is. The first rule of
| communication is "Adapt to your audience."

You can't call all malware a virus just beciuse you use anti virus software. It doesn't
work that way and is a miconception and misnomer.

If a majority of people have a misperception of a concept, their majority does not change
the concept.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Ant" <not(a)home.today>

| "FromTheRafters" wrote:

>> If I send someone out for coke, I sure don't want them coming back with
>> a pepsi. :oD

| Especially when you're expecting the finest Bolivian marching powder!

I tried Coke once but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose. :-)

--
Dave