From: John Slade on
On 8/2/2010 11:57 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "John Slade"<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>
>
> | On 8/1/2010 6:57 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
>>> "John Slade"<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>
>>> [...]
>
>>> Because he understands true viruses, he knows that they don't need to hide
>>> themselves in folders.
>
>>> I don't think he would have said what he said if you had said worms, or
>>> malware, instead of viruses.
>
> | Well "virus" is a generic term these days. I was talking
> | about worms and/or trojans, I was using "virus" as a generic
> | term. I guess that clears it up.
>
> The term "malware" is generic.
> The term "virus" is quite specific.

"Virus" is both a generic term and a specific term. Why do
you think they call the software used to clean trojans and
worms, "Anti-Virus" software? I'm sure you don't think that they
only clean viruses and leave trojans and worms alone. It's all a
matter of semantics. Just about all of the major anti-malware
vendors have products that they call Anti-Virus. This is because
it just stuck. You're a professional and you don't know this?

John

From: John Slade on
On 8/2/2010 2:46 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
> "John Slade"<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> On 8/1/2010 6:57 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
>>> "John Slade"<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Because he understands true viruses, he knows that they don't need to
>>> hide
>>> themselves in folders.
>>>
>>> I don't think he would have said what he said if you had said worms,
>>> or
>>> malware, instead of viruses.
>>
>> Well "virus" is a generic term these days. I was talking about
>> worms and/or trojans, I was using "virus" as a generic term. I guess
>> that clears it up.
>
> Yep, clear as rain. You don't know the terminology, don't care, yet we
> are supposed to believe that you know what you are talking about.
>
> That's it, huh?

"Virus" is both a generic term and a specific term. Why do
you think they call the software used to clean trojans and
worms, "Anti-Virus" software? I'm sure you don't think that they
only clean viruses and leave trojans and worms alone. It's all a
matter of semantics. Just about all of the major anti-malware
vendors have products that they call Anti-Virus. This is because
it just stuck. You're a professional and you don't know this?

I know exactly what I'm talking about. So tell me what
tools do you use to remove worms and trojans from computers? Are
any of them called "Anti-Virus" software?

I also know that words can have dual meanings.

John
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>

>> The term "malware" is generic.
>> The term "virus" is quite specific.

| "Virus" is both a generic term and a specific term. Why do
| you think they call the software used to clean trojans and
| worms, "Anti-Virus" software? I'm sure you don't think that they
| only clean viruses and leave trojans and worms alone. It's all a
| matter of semantics. Just about all of the major anti-malware
| vendors have products that they call Anti-Virus. This is because
| it just stuck. You're a professional and you don't know this?

Sorry John - No.

Virus is specific and is INCORRECTLY used way too often. That's what the term malwrae is
for.

The reason they call anti virus software that is due to its legacy. At one time there
were only viruses.

Anyone who calls any/all malicious software a virus without specifically knowing what it
is is just plain wrong.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
"John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

[...]

> "Virus" is both a generic term and a specific term.
> Why do you think they call the software used to clean
> trojans and worms, "Anti-Virus" software?

Generally, they call it antimalware unless it is also effective against
viruses and worms (which are self-replicators). If it is effective
against viruses, they call it an antivirus. Antivirus programs can also
detect some non-replicating malware.

> I'm sure you don't think that they only clean viruses
> and leave trojans and worms alone. It's all a matter
> of semantics.

Of course it is, but semantics shouldn't be a dismissive word. The
meanings of words are *important* to effective communications.

> Just about all of the major anti-malware vendors have
> products that they call Anti-Virus. This is because it just
> stuck. You're a professional and you don't know this?

We all know this, and we don't like it one bit. The fact remains that
viruses are a special case requiring more than what many antimalware
applications are equipped to handle.

From: FromTheRafters on
"John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

[...]

> I know exactly what I'm talking about. So tell me what tools do
> you use to remove worms and trojans from computers? Are any of them
> called "Anti-Virus" software?

Yes, but that is beside the point.

Some antimalware applications rely on cryptographic hash algorithms to
identify known malware. This doesn't work very well with some
polymorphic self-replicating malware (viruses and worms). Some
antimalware applications check autostart methods as a way to detect that
malware is installed - true viruses don't need any autostart mechanism
at all (they start when an *infected program* runs as a matter of
course. The methods needed to detect, identify, and remove malware
generally, and replicating malware specifically are *different*.