From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| "John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

| [...]

>> "Virus" is both a generic term and a specific term.
>> Why do you think they call the software used to clean
>> trojans and worms, "Anti-Virus" software?

| Generally, they call it antimalware unless it is also effective against
| viruses and worms (which are self-replicators). If it is effective
| against viruses, they call it an antivirus. Antivirus programs can also
| detect some non-replicating malware.

>> I'm sure you don't think that they only clean viruses
>> and leave trojans and worms alone. It's all a matter
>> of semantics.

| Of course it is, but semantics shouldn't be a dismissive word. The
| meanings of words are *important* to effective communications.

>> Just about all of the major anti-malware vendors have
>> products that they call Anti-Virus. This is because it just
>> stuck. You're a professional and you don't know this?

| We all know this, and we don't like it one bit. The fact remains that
| viruses are a special case requiring more than what many antimalware
| applications are equipped to handle.

Eactly and is why Malwarebytes' Anti Malware (MBAM) is not an "anti virus" product. MBAM
can NOT remove viral code such as Virut and (in this thread) Ramnit from a file that has
prepended, inserted or appended its code to the binary.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
> On 8/3/2010 2:47 PM, Buffalo wrote:
>> Dustin wrote:
>>> That's like some electricians I know that call all 9" linemans
>>> pliers
>>> klein, even tho they aren't. As klein is actually a company name.
>>
>> Hey, how did you know I am a licensed electrician?
>> And yes, it is common in the trade to call them 'kleins', like in,
>> 'can I
>> borrow your kleins?'
>> Buffalo :)
>>

> It's like people calling powdered drink mix from Flavor Aid,
> "Kool-Aid". I'm sure we've all heard the expression, "Drinking the
> Kool-Aid" when talking about someone who follows something or someone
> blindly. Well it came from the Jim Jones tragedy in Jonestown, Guyana.
> They drank poisonded Flavor Aid but most people still call it
> Kool-Aid.

Same sort of thing applies to crescent wrench (Crescent is a brand name
of a very popular open end adjustaqble wrench). Crowbar is another,
where a wrecking bar is almost always incorrectly called a crowbar.
Dykes are a misnomer for the shortening of the tool known as a "diagonal
cutter".

Most people don't care about using correct terminology, and so there is
often confusion and shouts of *mere semantics* when someone tries to
inform them.

From: ~BD~ on
FromTheRafters wrote:
> "John Slade"<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hey, how did you know I am a licensed electrician?
>>> And yes, it is common in the trade to call them 'kleins', like in,
>>> 'can I
>>> borrow your kleins?'
>>> Buffalo :)
>>>

>> It's like people calling powdered drink mix from Flavor Aid,
>> "Kool-Aid". I'm sure we've all heard the expression, "Drinking the
>> Kool-Aid" when talking about someone who follows something or someone
>> blindly. Well it came from the Jim Jones tragedy in Jonestown, Guyana.
>> They drank poisonded Flavor Aid but most people still call it
>> Kool-Aid.
>
> Same sort of thing applies to crescent wrench (Crescent is a brand name
> of a very popular open end adjustaqble wrench). Crowbar is another,
> where a wrecking bar is almost always incorrectly called a crowbar.
> Dykes are a misnomer for the shortening of the tool known as a "diagonal
> cutter".
>
> Most people don't care about using correct terminology, and so there is
> often confusion and shouts of *mere semantics* when someone tries to
> inform them.

I'm gonna have to go get my vacuum cleaner and Hoover up some of the
debris here!
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| "John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> Hey, how did you know I am a licensed electrician?
>>> And yes, it is common in the trade to call them 'kleins', like in,
>>> 'can I
>>> borrow your kleins?'
>>> Buffalo :)

>> It's like people calling powdered drink mix from Flavor Aid,
>> "Kool-Aid". I'm sure we've all heard the expression, "Drinking the
>> Kool-Aid" when talking about someone who follows something or someone
>> blindly. Well it came from the Jim Jones tragedy in Jonestown, Guyana.
>> They drank poisonded Flavor Aid but most people still call it
>> Kool-Aid.

| Same sort of thing applies to crescent wrench (Crescent is a brand name
| of a very popular open end adjustaqble wrench). Crowbar is another,
| where a wrecking bar is almost always incorrectly called a crowbar.
| Dykes are a misnomer for the shortening of the tool known as a "diagonal
| cutter".

| Most people don't care about using correct terminology, and so there is
| often confusion and shouts of *mere semantics* when someone tries to
| inform them.

Mom always told me not to be anti semantic :-)

--
Dave

From: RJK on
....same old hair being split again an again :-)

....when someone dumps a system box in my lap, or pleads down the 'phone, he
or she often suspects that "...there's a virus in it."

:-)

regards, Richard