From: FromTheRafters on
news:i3cqva02q3j(a)news6.newsguy.com...
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | "John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> It's like people calling powdered drink mix from Flavor Aid,
>>> "Kool-Aid". I'm sure we've all heard the expression, "Drinking the
>>> Kool-Aid" when talking about someone who follows something or
>>> someone
>>> blindly. Well it came from the Jim Jones tragedy in Jonestown,
>>> Guyana.
>>> They drank poisonded Flavor Aid but most people still call it
>>> Kool-Aid.
>
> | Same sort of thing applies to crescent wrench (Crescent is a brand
> name
> | of a very popular open end adjustaqble wrench). Crowbar is another,
> | where a wrecking bar is almost always incorrectly called a crowbar.
> | Dykes are a misnomer for the shortening of the tool known as a
> "diagonal
> | cutter".
>
> | Most people don't care about using correct terminology, and so there
> is
> | often confusion and shouts of *mere semantics* when someone tries to
> | inform them.
>

> Mom always told me not to be anti semantic :-)

:oD

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> Mom always told me not to be anti semantic :-)

::oD

But then again...
Maybe Mom meant not to be anti Symantec ;-)

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
"ASCII" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message

> I would tend to refer to worms as 'self propagators'
> which might or might not carry a viral payload.

Viral payload?

You can have a virus with no *payload* at all (although that would be
pretty rare).

Viruses, worms, and rabbits are all self-propagating (I use the term
self-distributing - it illustrates the difference between them and
malware that "gets distributed" by a website for instance) and
self-replicating. Rabbits fail to leave the parent viable, worms fail to
infect programs with a possibly evolved copy of themselves - both of
these items are requirements for a modern virus.

> But generally anything that has to use such techniques to spread
> is probably malware, [...]

Another way to look at this is that viral activity is a
self-distribution enhancement to something that is already otherwise
malware. If it self-distributed something desireable, it would probably
not be considered malware.

[...]

From: FromTheRafters on
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>>"John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> It's like people calling powdered drink mix from Flavor Aid,
>>> "Kool-Aid". I'm sure we've all heard the expression, "Drinking the
>>> Kool-Aid" when talking about someone who follows something or
>>> someone
>>> blindly. Well it came from the Jim Jones tragedy in Jonestown,
>>> Guyana.
>>> They drank poisonded Flavor Aid but most people still call it
>>> Kool-Aid.
>>
>>Same sort of thing applies to crescent wrench (Crescent is a brand
>>name
>>of a very popular open end adjustaqble wrench). Crowbar is another,
>>where a wrecking bar is almost always incorrectly called a crowbar.
>>Dykes are a misnomer for the shortening of the tool known as a
>>"diagonal
>>cutter".
>>
>>Most people don't care about using correct terminology, and so there
>>is
>>often confusion and shouts of *mere semantics* when someone tries to
>>inform them.
>>

> I'd bet Dustin wouldn't think it unusual if someone actually requested
> a Pepsi
> when someone offered to buy them a "Coke".

Yep, that's another one.

> ...and for the benefit of non Americans;
> Coke - The shortened name for a product of the Coca Cola company that
> has
> become colloquial slang for any carbonated soft drink.

If I send someone out for coke, I sure don't want them coming back with
a pepsi. :oD

Band-Aid is another brand name embedded in the popular US lexicon.
Kleenex another.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| "ASCII" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
>> FromTheRafters wrote:
>>>"John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>>Same sort of thing applies to crescent wrench (Crescent is a brand
>>>name
>>>of a very popular open end adjustaqble wrench). Crowbar is another,
>>>where a wrecking bar is almost always incorrectly called a crowbar.
>>>Dykes are a misnomer for the shortening of the tool known as a
>>>"diagonal
>>>cutter".

>>>Most people don't care about using correct terminology, and so there
>>>is
>>>often confusion and shouts of *mere semantics* when someone tries to
>>>inform them.

>> I'd bet Dustin wouldn't think it unusual if someone actually requested
>> a Pepsi
>> when someone offered to buy them a "Coke".

| Yep, that's another one.

>> ...and for the benefit of non Americans;
>> Coke - The shortened name for a product of the Coca Cola company that
>> has
>> become colloquial slang for any carbonated soft drink.

| If I send someone out for coke, I sure don't want them coming back with
| a pepsi. :oD

| Band-Aid is another brand name embedded in the popular US lexicon.
| Kleenex another.

Xerox

You can go to a Kyocera and Xerox a copy.

--
Dave