From: Dustin on
John Slade <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in news:G1j6o.53362$dx7.3611
@newsfe21.iad:

> "Virus" is both a generic term and a specific term. Why do
> you think they call the software used to clean trojans and
> worms, "Anti-Virus" software? I'm sure you don't think that they
> only clean viruses and leave trojans and worms alone. It's all a
> matter of semantics. Just about all of the major anti-malware
> vendors have products that they call Anti-Virus. This is because
> it just stuck. You're a professional and you don't know this?

The only people who think virus is a generic term are the ones who don't
know any better and wouldn't be considered professional in my book.

The reason virus isn't a generic term is because it describes a very
specific function and requirement of the software to be called a virus.

It's obvious to me atleast that you are someone who fixes computers and
you might even do a good job of it, but you aren't deserving of the title
professional. I do respect the knowledge you do have, but at this time, I
wouldn't agree with your self assessment.

--
"I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. They are so unlike
your Christ." - author unknown.
From: Dustin on
ASCII <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in news:4c5b12a4.765921(a)EDCBIC:

> David H. Lipman wrote:
>>MBAM
>>can NOT remove viral code such as Virut
>
> or even IroK ;-)

He covered that already when he mentioned prependers.. Doh!

From: Dustin on
ASCII <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in news:4c5c130c.869812(a)EDCBIC:

> FromTheRafters wrote:
>>"John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> It's like people calling powdered drink mix from Flavor
>>> Aid,
>>> "Kool-Aid". I'm sure we've all heard the expression, "Drinking the
>>> Kool-Aid" when talking about someone who follows something or
>>> someone blindly. Well it came from the Jim Jones tragedy in
>>> Jonestown, Guyana. They drank poisonded Flavor Aid but most people
>>> still call it Kool-Aid.
>>
>>Same sort of thing applies to crescent wrench (Crescent is a brand
>>name of a very popular open end adjustaqble wrench). Crowbar is
>>another, where a wrecking bar is almost always incorrectly called a
>>crowbar. Dykes are a misnomer for the shortening of the tool known
>>as a "diagonal cutter".
>>
>>Most people don't care about using correct terminology, and so there
>>is often confusion and shouts of *mere semantics* when someone tries
>>to inform them.
>>

> I'd bet Dustin wouldn't think it unusual if someone actually
> requested a Pepsi when someone offered to buy them a "Coke".

Of course not. Although, personally; I don't care for pepsi products as
much as I do coke.

From: ~BD~ on
FromTheRafters wrote:

> Viruses are rather unique

Being pedantic and specific, FTR - explain why viruses are not simply
'unique' - are they is some way /rather/ special? ;-)

--
Dave - and all along I've thought 'malware' was the more modern term!
From: FromTheRafters on
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | "ASCII" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message

>>> I'd bet Dustin wouldn't think it unusual if someone actually
>>> requested
>>> a Pepsi
>>> when someone offered to buy them a "Coke".
>
> | Yep, that's another one.
>
>>> ...and for the benefit of non Americans;
>>> Coke - The shortened name for a product of the Coca Cola company
>>> that
>>> has
>>> become colloquial slang for any carbonated soft drink.
>
> | If I send someone out for coke, I sure don't want them coming back
> with
> | a pepsi. :oD
>
> | Band-Aid is another brand name embedded in the popular US lexicon.
> | Kleenex another.
>
> Xerox
>
> You can go to a Kyocera and Xerox a copy.

Indeed, and wet method copies get called xerox copies as well even
though xerography is a dry copying process.