From: David H. Lipman on
From: "John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

--
Dave

From: RJK on
>>> I know exactly what I'm talking about. So tell me what tools do
>>> you use to remove worms and trojans from computers? Are any of them
>>> called "Anti-Virus" software?
>>
>> Yes, but that is beside the point.
>
> No that's the point entirely. The word "virus" is acceptable to
> just about everyone except a few anal retentive people who love to go
> around correcting everyone.

....and ignorant people will still call themselves professionals I
suppose.

Talk about anal.

Now I've been trying to follow this thread, and I may have got the wrong end of the stick somehere but, I would like to point out that I fully respect David H Lipmans' persistance in clarifying malware terminology / categrisation,
indeed, I've found it VERY useful on several occasions.

And for those other malware "professionals" out there, I'd like to point out that David H Lipman is held in the highest esteem by many people inc. myself, ...and who also consider him to be one of the foremost authorities in the field of malware, so much so that when I have an interest in a specific variant, and I'm wading through a thread, there's only a few I need to read - David H Lipman first - and a few others. I particularly avoid reading posts by one or two particular "know-all's" because of their condescending and ignorant attitude.

regards, Richard
From: ~BD~ on
RJK wrote:

> >> Yes, but that is beside the point.
> >
> > No that's the point entirely. The word "virus" is acceptable to
> > just about everyone except a few anal retentive people who love to go
> > around correcting everyone.
>
> ...and ignorant people will still call themselves professionals I
> suppose.
>
> Talk about anal.
>

> Now I've been trying to follow this thread, and I may have got the wrong
> end of the stick somehere but, I would like to point out that I fully
> respect David H Lipmans' persistance in clarifying malware terminology /
> categrisation,
> indeed, I've found it VERY useful on several occasions.
> And for those other malware "professionals" out there, I'd like to point
> out that David H Lipman is held in the highest esteem by many people
> inc. myself, ...and who also consider him to be one of the foremost
> authorities in the field of malware, so much so that when I have an
> interest in a specific variant, and I'm wading through a thread, there's
> only a few I need to read - David H Lipman first - and a few others. I
> particularly avoid reading posts by one or two particular "know-all's"
> because of their condescending and ignorant attitude.
> enough said :-)
> regards, Richard

An interesting comment, Richard.

You say that you hold Mr Lipman "in the highest esteem". Tell me why! Do
you know who he is and by whom he is employed?

AFAICT - he's just another unknown entity posting on Usenet. You
obviously trust his word - but how can others *really* know the truth?

If he was a *real* professional, he'd check his spelling before he hit
the send key! ;-)

Regards,

Dave
From: RJK on

"~BD~" <BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
RJK wrote:

> >> Yes, but that is beside the point.
> >
> > No that's the point entirely. The word "virus" is acceptable to
> > just about everyone except a few anal retentive people who love to go
> > around correcting everyone.
>
> ...and ignorant people will still call themselves professionals I
> suppose.
>
> Talk about anal.
>

> Now I've been trying to follow this thread, and I may have got the wrong
> end of the stick somehere but, I would like to point out that I fully
> respect David H Lipmans' persistance in clarifying malware terminology /
> categrisation,
> indeed, I've found it VERY useful on several occasions.
> And for those other malware "professionals" out there, I'd like to point
> out that David H Lipman is held in the highest esteem by many people
> inc. myself, ...and who also consider him to be one of the foremost
> authorities in the field of malware, so much so that when I have an
> interest in a specific variant, and I'm wading through a thread, there's
> only a few I need to read - David H Lipman first - and a few others. I
> particularly avoid reading posts by one or two particular "know-all's"
> because of their condescending and ignorant attitude.
> enough said :-)
> regards, Richard

An interesting comment, Richard.

You say that you hold Mr Lipman "in the highest esteem". Tell me why! Do
you know who he is and by whom he is employed?

AFAICT - he's just another unknown entity posting on Usenet. You
obviously trust his word - but how can others *really* know the truth?

If he was a *real* professional, he'd check his spelling before he hit
the send key! ;-)

Regards,

Dave

I won't be drawn into this one too much ! ...other than to say,

"AFAICT - he's just another unknown entity posting on Usenet," so what !
I've always been impressed by my sixth sense, (modesty completely aside for
a few seconds), and its' rarely ever proved me wrong.
Regarding your other peculiar observations / questions :-
Your perpesctive on the "the truth" seems to be a unique, (and abnormally
persistent and unperceptive), point of view !
"spelling" ....well, ...we all "typo" now and again, it's usually blatantly
obvious what the intended letter or word was from the context, (context
means "surrounding text" - in case you don't know what "context" means), and
to negatively comment on other peoples spelling, esp. when there is an
obvious typo, is bit pathetic to say the least.

regards, Richard

ps ...please don't waste any more breath on the topic, if you have
sufficient intellect, you'll agree that your points have been fully
addressed. Pusuence of my response would simply be indication that you
simply cannot, or choose not, understand what you're reading !

From: John Slade on
On 8/6/2010 5:13 AM, RJK wrote:

> >> Yes, but that is beside the point.
> >
> > No that's the point entirely. The word "virus" is acceptable to
> > just about everyone except a few anal retentive people who love to go
> > around correcting everyone.
>
> ...and ignorant people will still call themselves professionals I
> suppose.
>
> Talk about anal.
>

> Now I've been trying to follow this thread, and I may have got the wrong
> end of the stick somehere but, I would like to point out that I fully
> respect David H Lipmans' persistance in clarifying malware terminology /
> categrisation,
> indeed, I've found it VERY useful on several occasions.
> And for those other malware "professionals" out there, I'd like to point
> out that David H Lipman is held in the highest esteem by many people
> inc. myself, ...and who also consider him to be one of the foremost
> authorities in the field of malware, so much so that when I have an
> interest in a specific variant, and I'm wading through a thread, there's
> only a few I need to read - David H Lipman first - and a few others. I
> particularly avoid reading posts by one or two particular "know-all's"
> because of their condescending and ignorant attitude.
> enough said :-)
> regards, Richard

That's all well and good but this conversation was not
just about malware. It started out when Dave said he was
reluctant to disable system restore because he wanted to keep
the restore points. Well that problem would be solved by a
simple backup. I think he got a bit angry because he overlooked
something simple. So many times people who are programmers or
people who don't regularly work in on site repairs tend to lose
people skills and commons sense skills. I've been doing repairs
for about 25 years and made a good living doing so. I never
needed to advertise because I got more business by word of mouth
than I could handle.

Since this thread started people have tried to change the
subject when they lose an argument. That's how we wound up on
soldering irons and leaking capacitors.

John