From: Bob Larter on
Dudley Hanks wrote:
> "Chris Malcolm" <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> Dudley Hanks <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> "David J Taylor"
>>> <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
>>> message news:t6aIm.1501$Ym4.551(a)text.news.virginmedia.com...

>>> Thanks, David, I'll try it again with an inanimate object, or a faster
>>> shutter speed.
>>> I suppose, if the test is to be useful, I should also take an equivalent
>>> pic
>>> of the subject using a wider aperture so the two images can be compared.
>> The diffraction limit of aperture is usually taken to be the last
>> aperture in a decreasing series of sharper apertures, i.e., stopping
>> down further makes the image softer because of diffraction. But that's
>> not a fixed aperture, it depends on such things as the exact sensor
>> pixel size (or crop factor) not just the nominal "1.5", on the
>> resolution of the lens, and whether you're looking at the centre of
>> the image or the edges or some compromise between the two. Why
>> should it depend on those? Because the point at which an extra stop's
>> worth of diffraction softening becomes larger than how much other
>> kinds of lens aberration are being improved by stopping down obviously
>> will depend on the size of those other errors. In other words better
>> lenses will have larger sharpest apertures.
>>
>> I find for example on my Sony A350 that my general purpose zoom is
>> usually sharpest at f8, but at its soft extremes that becomes f11, and
>> my 50mm prime is sharpest at f5.6.
>>
>> This can only be established for your camera and each of your lenses
>> by taking a comparative series of shots while varying the aperture. On
>> zooms it may change with focal length.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Malcolm
>
> Thanks, Chris, that's good info to have.
>
> This is a pretty cheap lens, and I think its a bit soft to begin with.

The 50mm/F1.8II is a surprisingly good lens for the money. I've taken a
lot of excellent shots with mine, so please don't sell it short!
I've since 'upgraded' to a 50mm/F1.4, but it's not as much of an
improvement as you might expect from the price difference.

From: Bob Larter on
Better Info wrote:
> On 4 Nov 2009 17:49:36 GMT, Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Dudley Hanks <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> "David J Taylor"
>>> <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
>>> message news:t6aIm.1501$Ym4.551(a)text.news.virginmedia.com...

>>> Thanks, David, I'll try it again with an inanimate object, or a faster
>>> shutter speed.
>>> I suppose, if the test is to be useful, I should also take an equivalent pic
>>> of the subject using a wider aperture so the two images can be compared.
>> The diffraction limit of aperture is usually taken to be the last
>> aperture in a decreasing series of sharper apertures, i.e., stopping
>> down further makes the image softer because of diffraction. But that's
>> not a fixed aperture, it depends on such things as the exact sensor
>> pixel size (or crop factor) not just the nominal "1.5", on the
>> resolution of the lens, and whether you're looking at the centre of
>> the image or the edges or some compromise between the two. Why
>> should it depend on those? Because the point at which an extra stop's
>> worth of diffraction softening becomes larger than how much other
>> kinds of lens aberration are being improved by stopping down obviously
>> will depend on the size of those other errors. In other words better
>> lenses will have larger sharpest apertures.
>>
>> I find for example on my Sony A350 that my general purpose zoom is
>> usually sharpest at f8, but at its soft extremes that becomes f11, and
>> my 50mm prime is sharpest at f5.6.
>>
>> This can only be established for your camera and each of your lenses
>> by taking a comparative series of shots while varying the aperture. On
>> zooms it may change with focal length.
>
> Your test won't work.

Please, get back to us when you grow a clue. Bye!

From: Bryan on
Dudley Hanks wrote:
> I've heard a lot about how the cropped sensor cameras are defraction limited
> to around f/8 - f/11, so I thought I'd see what kind of an image my XSi puts
> out at a small aperture.
>
> I snapped on my 50mm f/1.8 lens and set it up to take a picture at f/22,
> with a shutter speed of 1 sec.
>
> How did it turn out?
[...]
> http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/SelfPortraitWinter.jpg (full
> size)

I'll go farther than previous respondents: That photo, from a Canon
XSi at f/22, is obviously not diffraction limited.

The statements you'll hear of the diffraction limit assume everything
else it practically optimal: rock-steady subject, tripod mount,
perfect focus, and unless the claim is about a particular lens, they
mean a laudably sharp one.

From: Martin Brown on
Dudley Hanks wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
> message news:t6aIm.1501$Ym4.551(a)text.news.virginmedia.com...
>> "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message news:4U9Im.50459$Db2.29545(a)edtnps83...
>>> I've heard a lot about how the cropped sensor cameras are defraction
>>> limited to around f/8 - f/11, so I thought I'd see what kind of an image
>>> my XSi puts out at a small aperture.
>>>
>>> I snapped on my 50mm f/1.8 lens and set it up to take a picture at f/22,
>>> with a shutter speed of 1 sec.
>>>
>>> How did it turn out?
>>>
>>> http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/SmallWinterPortrait.jpg (quick
>>> download)
>>>
>>> http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/SelfPortraitWinter.jpg (full
>>> size)
>>>
>>> Take Care,
>>> Dudley
>> Difficult to say, Dudley. Yes, the image isn't "tack sharp" (a term I
>> loathe), so there could be some diffraction visible, but I'm also not
>> convinced that the subject didn't move within the 1 second exposure!
>>
> Thanks, David, I'll try it again with an inanimate object, or a faster
> shutter speed.
>
> I suppose, if the test is to be useful, I should also take an equivalent pic
> of the subject using a wider aperture so the two images can be compared.

If you are serious about being able to tell include a few ball bearings
on black velvet in the picture composition. Specular highlights are
about the easiest thing to see if an image is diffraction limited.

Or you could just use a pinhole over the lens and a verry long exposure.

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: Dudley Hanks on

"Bob Larter" <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> "Chris Malcolm" <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message

>>> The diffraction limit of aperture is usually taken to be the last
>>> aperture in a decreasing series of sharper apertures, i.e., stopping
>>> down further makes the image softer because of diffraction. But that's
>>> not a fixed aperture, it depends on such things as the exact sensor
>>> pixel size (or crop factor) not just the nominal "1.5", on the
>>> resolution of the lens, and whether you're looking at the centre of
>>> the image or the edges or some compromise between the two. Why
>>> should it depend on those? Because the point at which an extra stop's
>>> worth of diffraction softening becomes larger than how much other
>>> kinds of lens aberration are being improved by stopping down obviously
>>> will depend on the size of those other errors. In other words better
>>> lenses will have larger sharpest apertures.
>>>
>>> I find for example on my Sony A350 that my general purpose zoom is
>>> usually sharpest at f8, but at its soft extremes that becomes f11, and
>>> my 50mm prime is sharpest at f5.6.
>>>
>>> This can only be established for your camera and each of your lenses
>>> by taking a comparative series of shots while varying the aperture. On
>>> zooms it may change with focal length.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris Malcolm
>>
>> Thanks, Chris, that's good info to have.
>>
>> This is a pretty cheap lens, and I think its a bit soft to begin with.
>
> The 50mm/F1.8II is a surprisingly good lens for the money. I've taken a
> lot of excellent shots with mine, so please don't sell it short!
> I've since 'upgraded' to a 50mm/F1.4, but it's not as much of an
> improvement as you might expect from the price difference.

Originally, I bought it for my Canon A2, but didn't use it a lot. I used it
a bit for blurred background shots of the kids, flowers, etc.

However, with the crop factor of the XSi, it's now a great portrait lens,
and it still has a fairly respectable aperture when I add in my 2x
converter, giving me a (35mm equiv) f/3.5 160mm lens.

I'm finding myself falling back on it a lot these days.

Take Care,
Dudley