From: John Navas on
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 23:39:40 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <4af2c78c$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:

>The 50mm/F1.8II is a surprisingly good lens for the money. I've taken a
>lot of excellent shots with mine, so please don't sell it short!
>I've since 'upgraded' to a 50mm/F1.4, but it's not as much of an
>improvement as you might expect from the price difference.

What you get for the money with the f/1.4 over the f/1.8 is speed,
not IQ.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up. on
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 23:40:44 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Better Info wrote:

>>> The diffraction limit of aperture is usually taken to be the last
>>> aperture in a decreasing series of sharper apertures, i.e., stopping
>>> down further makes the image softer because of diffraction. But that's
>>> not a fixed aperture, it depends on such things as the exact sensor
>>> pixel size (or crop factor) not just the nominal "1.5", on the
>>> resolution of the lens, and whether you're looking at the centre of
>>> the image or the edges or some compromise between the two. Why
>>> should it depend on those? Because the point at which an extra stop's
>>> worth of diffraction softening becomes larger than how much other
>>> kinds of lens aberration are being improved by stopping down obviously
>>> will depend on the size of those other errors. In other words better
>>> lenses will have larger sharpest apertures.
>>>
>>> I find for example on my Sony A350 that my general purpose zoom is
>>> usually sharpest at f8, but at its soft extremes that becomes f11, and
>>> my 50mm prime is sharpest at f5.6.
>>>
>>> This can only be established for your camera and each of your lenses
>>> by taking a comparative series of shots while varying the aperture. On
>>> zooms it may change with focal length.
>>
>> Your test won't work.
>
>Please, get back to us when you grow a clue. Bye!

Bob Larter's legal name: Lionel Lauer
Home news-group, an actual group in the "troll-tracker" hierarchy:
alt.kook.lionel-lauer (established on, or before, 2004)
Registered Description: "the 'owner of several troll domains' needs a group where he'll stay on topic."

<http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&num=10&as_ugroup=alt.kook.lionel-lauer>

"Results 1 - 10 of about 2,170 for group:alt.kook.lionel-lauer."
From: Bob Larter on
John Navas wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 23:39:40 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
> wrote in <4af2c78c$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:
>
>> The 50mm/F1.8II is a surprisingly good lens for the money. I've taken a
>> lot of excellent shots with mine, so please don't sell it short!
>> I've since 'upgraded' to a 50mm/F1.4, but it's not as much of an
>> improvement as you might expect from the price difference.
>
> What you get for the money with the f/1.4 over the f/1.8 is speed,
> not IQ.

The f1.4 also has more aperture blades, so the bokeh is a bit nicer as well.

From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 11:56:53 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 23:39:40 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote in <4af2c78c$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:
>>
>>> The 50mm/F1.8II is a surprisingly good lens for the money. I've taken a
>>> lot of excellent shots with mine, so please don't sell it short!
>>> I've since 'upgraded' to a 50mm/F1.4, but it's not as much of an
>>> improvement as you might expect from the price difference.
>>
>> What you get for the money with the f/1.4 over the f/1.8 is speed,
>> not IQ.
>
>The f1.4 also has more aperture blades, so the bokeh is a bit nicer as well.

Post-processing plugins with depth-map masks afford an infinite number of
aperture blades for bokeh, as well as even emulating catadioptric lens
systems no matter what camera took the image, and more.

Catch up, know-nothing snapshooter DSLR-Troll!

From: Dudley Hanks on

"Bob Larter" <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> John Navas wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 23:39:40 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote in <4af2c78c$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:
>>
>>> The 50mm/F1.8II is a surprisingly good lens for the money. I've taken a
>>> lot of excellent shots with mine, so please don't sell it short!
>>> I've since 'upgraded' to a 50mm/F1.4, but it's not as much of an
>>> improvement as you might expect from the price difference.
>>
>> What you get for the money with the f/1.4 over the f/1.8 is speed, not
>> IQ.
>
> The f1.4 also has more aperture blades, so the bokeh is a bit nicer as
> well.

Any difference in number / quality of elements?

Take Care,
Dudley