From: Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up. on
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:50:31 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 09:50:52 +0100, Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net>
>> wrote:

>>> <snip prespoterous claims>

>>> I don't believe this stuff exists. Prove me wrong!
>>
>> I suppose I could upload two sample images, one without and one with a
>> depth-map catadioptric-lens annulus bokeh applied to it,
>
>Oh, I doubt that.

Bob Larter's legal name: Lionel Lauer
Home news-group, an actual group in the "troll-tracker" hierarchy:
alt.kook.lionel-lauer (established on, or before, 2004)
Registered Description: "the 'owner of several troll domains' needs a group where he'll stay on topic."

<http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&num=10&as_ugroup=alt.kook.lionel-lauer>

"Results 1 - 10 of about 2,170 for group:alt.kook.lionel-lauer."
From: Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up. on

From: Educationg Trolls Is An Endless Task on
On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 15:04:20 -0600, Educationg Trolls Is An Endless Task
<etiaet(a)somewhere.net> wrote:

>You can display the diffraction of
>light with a single knife-edge, no aperture required.

Some interesting images found while bored. Referred to as "Grimaldi's
Shadows" in days of yore. Circa 17th century. The resident-trolls posting
in these news-groups today are 300 to 400 years behind the learning curve.
They're not mental-throw-backs to just last century. I'm not at all
surprised.

Full double-edge razor blade:
<http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/lightandcolor/images/diffractionfigure2.jpg>

Internal space in a double-edged razor blade:
<http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/PHYOPT/phopic/razcut.jpg>

Razor blade corner (oops, no aperture at all):
<http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/PHYOPT/phopic/razcor.jpg>

Also related to my previous posts:

While finding the above, I stumbled upon a fairly good example of optics
being given the Ronchi-test where the central portion has the worst figure.
<http://www.retrotechnology.com/glass/06mar13_9r.jpg>

Stopping down the aperture will cause softening due to figure errors, not
diffraction.

(For those green to Ronchi-test patterns, here's a quick overview:
<http://schmidling.com/etron.gif> TDE=turned down edge)
From: Chris Malcolm on
Educationg Trolls Is An Endless Task <etiaet(a)somewhere.net> wrote:
> On 6 Nov 2009 14:50:57 GMT, Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>>Not at all. I've worked alongside colleagues who've written books on
>>the subject.

> When a youth was giving himself airs in the Theater and saying, "I am wise,
> for I have conversed with many wise men." Epictetus replied, "I too have
> conversed with many rich men, yet I am not rich."

> You were saying something? LOL!

> I'm sure your colleagues, if you indeed ever had any, kept you around as
> their little puppy dog that didn't piddle on the carpet too often. Or
> conversely, got many laughs out of your incessant piddling habits. As I do
> with how often you piddle your nonsense to usenet.

> Pushing a broom and emptying waste-baskets in a publisher's collating
> department could also be construed as "working alongside .... (authors)".
> If I was forced to assume your trolls' comment above was conveying your
> truth, from the vast amount of misinformation you spew that would be my
> guess of how you came to believe what you believe.

Your research skills are pathetic. It's ridiculously easy to discover
my academic affilation and status.

>>The mathematics of the relationship between lens optical
>>aberrations and diffraction is simple, uncontroversial, and has long
>>been well known. Your position can only logically be maintained if you
>>disagree with one of the following propositions:
>>
>>1. Lens optical errors vary inversely with aperture.

> Wrong. The central part of a lens or lenses may have the greatest figure
> error. Especially in a complex compound lens where one element or group of
> elements may have more imaging weight as aperture is increased or reduced.
> However, for a given amount of effort, fabrication and figuring errors are
> exponentially proportional to size. There is no law on which area of that
> lens may have the greatest error.

Let's get down to specifics and try to avoid confusing the issue with
a smokescreen of rare exceptions. Let's take one of the largest and
simplest kinds of lens aberration -- chromatic aberration.

Do you really seriously claim that what you wrote above usually
applies to chromatic aberration in DSLR camera lenses?

>>2. Lens diffraction errors vary with aperture.

> Wrong. It varies with distance of aperture edge to imaging plane.

Of course it does! But do you not realise that there is no
contradiction between that fact and the fact that the proportion of
diffraction error in an image formed by a given camera lens at a given
image distance increases with aperture?

Your responses in this thread suggest that you do have access to some
reasonably authoritative source of information on the topic, but that
you don't really understand what it means.

> The
> amount of light in the image only reveals or hides the fixed amount of
> diffraction created/caused by distance. You can display the diffraction of
> light with a single knife-edge, no aperture required. This is why shorter
> focal-length lenses have less diffraction problems. This also is why it's
> so easy to create truly diffraction-limited optics for P&S cameras due to
> the smaller focal-lengths required and smaller optics diameters required
> (i.e. for a given effort, a smaller diameter optic is easier to figure
> accurately).

That's exactly what I thought. You don't really understand this at
all. What you say is perfectly true, but if you really understood what
you've written you'd realise that it has nothing to do with the change
in the relative amount of diffraction in an image formed by a
non-diffraction-limited lens at varying apertures.

>>3. Lens errors combine at worst multiplicatively.

> Wrong.

> Grade-School Math 101

You appear to have as little understanding of Maths 101 as Physics 101
or Optics 101. It's a bit pointless citing such elementary sources to
someone whose education has gone well past that point. If you want to
disagree, then rather than vaguely waving your hand at an unspecified
first year undergrafuate textbook, why not try to actually find the
relavant page and quote it?

I am of course generously assuming that you once did such courses and
can still remember what's in the textbooks :-)

>>Can you enlighten us as to which of those you disagree with, or
>>whether you're using a different mathematical foundation for the
>>relationship?

> Three strikes, you're outta here TROLL.

> Blatantly Obvious 101

That's one course I have no doubt you attended :-)

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Educationg Trolls Is An Endless Task on
On 7 Nov 2009 16:32:35 GMT, Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>Educationg Trolls Is An Endless Task <etiaet(a)somewhere.net> wrote:
>
>> Pushing a broom and emptying waste-baskets in a publisher's collating
>> department could also be construed as "working alongside .... (authors)".
>> If I was forced to assume your trolls' comment above was conveying your
>> truth, from the vast amount of misinformation you spew that would be my
>> guess of how you came to believe what you believe.
>
>Your research skills are pathetic. It's ridiculously easy to discover
>my academic affilation and status.

Why on earth do you think anyone would be interested enough in you to do
something as hugely pointless a waste of time as that? Your words here
speak for themselves. You're an idiot. A semi-educated idiot. The world is
crawling with them. Some of the most stupid people I have ever met in life
even had PhD and Dr prefacing their names.

>> exponentially proportional to size. There is no law on which area of that
>> lens may have the greatest error.
>
>Let's get down to specifics and try to avoid confusing the issue with
>a smokescreen of rare exceptions.

No smokescreen at all. Poor lens figuring is DIRECTLY RELATED to why you
CANNOT MEASURE the amount of diffraction, especially when stopped down. If
you cannot obtain the sharpest image at full aperture, then that means YOUR
OPTICS ARE NOT DIFFRACTION-LIMITED. Therefore, stopping down that lens is
NO GUARANTEE that the softness you are observing is in any way related to
diffraction. Are you this pathetically stupid that you can't grasp
something so simple?

> Let's take one of the largest and
>simplest kinds of lens aberration -- chromatic aberration.
>
>Do you really seriously claim that what you wrote above usually
>applies to chromatic aberration in DSLR camera lenses?

Ahhh.... the bleats of a pure troll. Red-herring CA bullshit smokescreens
that have has nothing to do with the diffraction problems being discussed.

>>>2. Lens diffraction errors vary with aperture.
>
>> Wrong. It varies with distance of aperture edge to imaging plane.
>
>Of course it does! But do you not realise that there is no
>contradiction between that fact and the fact that the proportion of
>diffraction error in an image formed by a given camera lens at a given
>image distance increases with aperture?

This will be the last time I tell you this. If the optics are not of
diffraction-limited quality, then your optics CANNOT create diffraction
artifacts to even measure it or detect it.

You only asked that I disagree with three of your points. ALL THREE were
wrong.

I suggest you pay for some courses on these areas of study instead of
trying to manipulate someone far more intelligent than you into educating
you for free.

Go away useless troll. I'm done with you.