From: Dudley Hanks on

I've heard a lot about how the cropped sensor cameras are defraction limited
to around f/8 - f/11, so I thought I'd see what kind of an image my XSi puts
out at a small aperture.

I snapped on my 50mm f/1.8 lens and set it up to take a picture at f/22,
with a shutter speed of 1 sec.

How did it turn out?

http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/SmallWinterPortrait.jpg (quick
download)

http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/SelfPortraitWinter.jpg (full
size)

Take Care,
Dudley

From: David J Taylor on
"Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message news:4U9Im.50459$Db2.29545(a)edtnps83...

> I've heard a lot about how the cropped sensor cameras are defraction
> limited to around f/8 - f/11, so I thought I'd see what kind of an image
> my XSi puts out at a small aperture.
>
> I snapped on my 50mm f/1.8 lens and set it up to take a picture at f/22,
> with a shutter speed of 1 sec.
>
> How did it turn out?
>
> http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/SmallWinterPortrait.jpg
> (quick download)
>
> http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/SelfPortraitWinter.jpg (full
> size)
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Difficult to say, Dudley. Yes, the image isn't "tack sharp" (a term I
loathe), so there could be some diffraction visible, but I'm also not
convinced that the subject didn't move within the 1 second exposure!

Cheers,
David

From: Dudley Hanks on

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:t6aIm.1501$Ym4.551(a)text.news.virginmedia.com...
> "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message news:4U9Im.50459$Db2.29545(a)edtnps83...
>>
>> I've heard a lot about how the cropped sensor cameras are defraction
>> limited to around f/8 - f/11, so I thought I'd see what kind of an image
>> my XSi puts out at a small aperture.
>>
>> I snapped on my 50mm f/1.8 lens and set it up to take a picture at f/22,
>> with a shutter speed of 1 sec.
>>
>> How did it turn out?
>>
>> http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/SmallWinterPortrait.jpg (quick
>> download)
>>
>> http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/SelfPortraitWinter.jpg (full
>> size)
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>
> Difficult to say, Dudley. Yes, the image isn't "tack sharp" (a term I
> loathe), so there could be some diffraction visible, but I'm also not
> convinced that the subject didn't move within the 1 second exposure!
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thanks, David, I'll try it again with an inanimate object, or a faster
shutter speed.

I suppose, if the test is to be useful, I should also take an equivalent pic
of the subject using a wider aperture so the two images can be compared.

Take Care,
Dudley

From: David J Taylor on

"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
[]
> Thanks, David, I'll try it again with an inanimate object, or a faster
> shutter speed.
>
> I suppose, if the test is to be useful, I should also take an equivalent
> pic of the subject using a wider aperture so the two images can be
> compared.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Indeed, yes. Tripod and very careful focussing come to mind. While the
degradation due to diffraction at f/22 is noticeable with careful
inspection, you probably wouldn't notice with normal use - just sharpen a
little more. Diffraction on small sensor cameras is one reason why some
of them are limited to f/8 or f/11 as the smallest aperture.

Cheers,
David

From: Ofnuts on
David J Taylor wrote:

> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
> []
>> Thanks, David, I'll try it again with an inanimate object, or a faster
>> shutter speed.
>>
>> I suppose, if the test is to be useful, I should also take an
>> equivalent pic of the subject using a wider aperture so the two images
>> can be compared.
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>
> Indeed, yes. Tripod and very careful focussing come to mind. While the
> degradation due to diffraction at f/22 is noticeable with careful
> inspection, you probably wouldn't notice with normal use - just sharpen
> a little more. Diffraction on small sensor cameras is one reason why
> some of them are limited to f/8 or f/11 as the smallest aperture.

Some of them haven't even got diaphragm and the "diaphragm" is simulated
with a neutral filter.

--
Bertrand