From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 09:50:52 +0100, Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net>
wrote:

>Trolls is FUN! wrote:
>> On 06 Nov 2009 07:28:51 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
><snip prespoterous claims>
>

>> YOUR LOSS!
>>
>> And a huge loss for everyone. Caused by trolls like you. Now everyone has
>> to do the searching for that software based only on a vague description.
>> Good luck finding my most favorite and vastly configurable one as described
>> above, I've not seen it on the net for about two years. You useless trolls
>> taught me well. NEVER share the most important bits of information as long
>> as a news-group is being overrun and taken over by a pack of useless and
>> pathetic trolls. The trolls will only use that information to be better at
>> pretending to be photographers with the next newbies who can't immediately
>> see the trolls for what they truly are.
>
>I don't believe this stuff exists. Prove me wrong!

I suppose I could upload two sample images, one without and one with a
depth-map catadioptric-lens annulus bokeh applied to it, but ... why waste
my time doing that for useless trolls?

Why should I even prove you wrong? You love being right! Don't you?

Whether you believe I am telling the truth or not is of zero importance to
me. I enjoy using that software occasionally when needed. My favorite one
does a remarkable job of emulating any lens bokeh that you can think of or
have ever seen before. The only difference is that you have no knowledge of
its existence, until now. Oh well! Unimportant to me.

Should I tell you the names for the plugins so role-playing trolls can
learn to be better trolls? Just like the only contact they ever have with
cameras is from downloading free camera manuals. They'd then have some
advanced plugin information so they can pretend to be decent graphic
editors too. They're so fuckingly transparent to someone like me when they
pretend to be photographers in these news-groups. They just refuse to
understand that yet, or they'd go play their silly pretend-expert games
elsewhere.

Go forth and search! You have enough information in the previous post to
find what you seek.

Blame all the useless resident-trolls that you support (or are one
yourself) for not having the information just handed to you for free. Now
you have to do some work to go find the software. Be extremely grateful
that I was kind enough to tell you that software of that nature even
exists.

Have fun!

(Awaiting your next, or some other troll's, pathetic manipulation
attempt--to get some help that you don't even deserve, for free.)

From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 09:25:59 +0000, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Ofnuts wrote:
>> Trolls is FUN! wrote:
>>> On 06 Nov 2009 07:28:51 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>>
>> <snip prespoterous claims>
>>

>>> YOUR LOSS!
>>>
>>> And a huge loss for everyone. Caused by trolls like you. Now everyone has
>>> to do the searching for that software based only on a vague description.
>>> Good luck finding my most favorite and vastly configurable one as
>>> described
>>> above, I've not seen it on the net for about two years. You useless
>>> trolls
>>> taught me well. NEVER share the most important bits of information as
>>> long
>>> as a news-group is being overrun and taken over by a pack of useless and
>>> pathetic trolls. The trolls will only use that information to be
>>> better at
>>> pretending to be photographers with the next newbies who can't
>>> immediately
>>> see the trolls for what they truly are.
>>
>> I don't believe this stuff exists. Prove me wrong!
>
>Google is your friend.
>
>One such plugin is even unimaginatively called "Bokeh". I don't like the
>results but then I have never been into lenses smeared in vaseline etc. eg.
>
>http://alienskin.com/bokeh/index.aspx
>
>Can't say I would recommend it.
>
>Regards,
>Martin Brown

Never used that one. And from your description I probably won't even test
it.

From: Ofnuts on
Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:
>> I don't believe this stuff exists. Prove me wrong!
>
> I suppose I could upload two sample images, one without and one with a
> depth-map catadioptric-lens annulus bokeh applied to it, but ... why waste
> my time doing that for useless trolls?
>
> Why should I even prove you wrong? You love being right! Don't you?

No, I love to learn... even from my errors.

> Go forth and search! You have enough information in the previous post to
> find what you seek.

Obviously not, since someone thought the same, and found the "wrong" one
according to you.

> (Awaiting your next, or some other troll's, pathetic manipulation
> attempt--to get some help that you don't even deserve, for free.)

I'm not awaiting help, at least not from you obviously, since, being
part of the crowd of DSLR dummies/minions/trolls I don't need this software.

I am awaiting some proof of your claims. Einstein did make some that
where preposterous at the time, but he also gave ways to prove them. And
this means giving enough information so that the people in doubt can
check by themselves (I still have a P&S somewhere).

So either you prove me wrong, or you prove yourself a <insert derogatory
term here>

--
Bertrand
From: Rich on
On Nov 5, 9:26 am, Martin Brown <|||newspam...(a)nezumi.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
> > "David J Taylor"
> > <david-tay...(a)blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
> > messagenews:t6aIm.1501$Ym4.551(a)text.news.virginmedia.com...

> >> Difficult to say, Dudley.  Yes, the image isn't "tack sharp" (a term I
> >> loathe), so there could be some diffraction visible, but I'm also not
> >> convinced that the subject didn't move within the 1 second exposure!
>
> > Thanks, David, I'll try it again with an inanimate object, or a faster
> > shutter speed.
>
> > I suppose, if the test is to be useful, I should also take an equivalent pic
> > of the subject using a wider aperture so the two images can be compared..
>
> If you are serious about being able to tell include a few ball bearings
> on black velvet in the picture composition. Specular highlights are
> about the easiest thing to see if an image is diffraction limited.
>
> Or you could just use a pinhole over the lens and a verry long exposure.
>
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

Not much point in using a pinhole, any lens will show as diffraction
limited stopped down enough. I have a feeling most lenses stopped
down to f8 "act" diffraction limited centrally, but the edges of most
lenses are never diffraction limited and poor polish and surface
figures on most camera lenses mean you never reach true diffraction.
From: Educationg Trolls Is An Endless Task on
On 6 Nov 2009 14:50:57 GMT, Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>Not at all. I've worked alongside colleagues who've written books on
>the subject.

When a youth was giving himself airs in the Theater and saying, "I am wise,
for I have conversed with many wise men." Epictetus replied, "I too have
conversed with many rich men, yet I am not rich."

You were saying something? LOL!

I'm sure your colleagues, if you indeed ever had any, kept you around as
their little puppy dog that didn't piddle on the carpet too often. Or
conversely, got many laughs out of your incessant piddling habits. As I do
with how often you piddle your nonsense to usenet.

Pushing a broom and emptying waste-baskets in a publisher's collating
department could also be construed as "working alongside .... (authors)".
If I was forced to assume your trolls' comment above was conveying your
truth, from the vast amount of misinformation you spew that would be my
guess of how you came to believe what you believe.

> The mathematics of the relationship between lens optical
>aberrations and diffraction is simple, uncontroversial, and has long
>been well known. Your position can only logically be maintained if you
>disagree with one of the following propositions:
>
>1. Lens optical errors vary inversely with aperture.

Wrong. The central part of a lens or lenses may have the greatest figure
error. Especially in a complex compound lens where one element or group of
elements may have more imaging weight as aperture is increased or reduced.
However, for a given amount of effort, fabrication and figuring errors are
exponentially proportional to size. There is no law on which area of that
lens may have the greatest error.

Common Sense 101

>2. Lens diffraction errors vary with aperture.

Wrong. It varies with distance of aperture edge to imaging plane. The
amount of light in the image only reveals or hides the fixed amount of
diffraction created/caused by distance. You can display the diffraction of
light with a single knife-edge, no aperture required. This is why shorter
focal-length lenses have less diffraction problems. This also is why it's
so easy to create truly diffraction-limited optics for P&S cameras due to
the smaller focal-lengths required and smaller optics diameters required
(i.e. for a given effort, a smaller diameter optic is easier to figure
accurately).

Physics 101
Manufacturing 101

>3. Lens errors combine at worst multiplicatively.

Wrong.

Grade-School Math 101

>Can you enlighten us as to which of those you disagree with, or
>whether you're using a different mathematical foundation for the
>relationship?

Three strikes, you're outta here TROLL.

Blatantly Obvious 101