From: Sam Gillett on

"Craig Taylor" wrote ...

> Sam Gillett wrote:
>> "Craig Taylor" <ctalkobt(a)gmail.com> wrote ...
>> >
>> > Question: Can you use a HD flippy assembly inside them? I would assume
>> > that the control lines / programming logic would default the assembly
>> > to low-density writes but it might come in handy to do it that way so
>> > as to not run into the same issues w/ formatting hd flippies.
>>
>> You have the 1581 confused with 5 1/4" drives. The 1581 uses a 3 1/2"
>> mechanism.
>
> No, I don't ... I'm asking if a HD 3.5 assembly can be used as some of
> 1581 units have problems formatting the HD 3.5 flippies.

Sorry, your terminology confused me. Most people call them floppy disks.
And, think of a flippie (or flippy) as a 5 1/4" disk that has been notched on
the other side so that, when used with the single sided 1541 drive, can be
flipped over to use the second side of the disk, doubling the storage
capacity of the disk.
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

From: David Nelson on
Thank you, I look forward to the email.

-David

From: Nicolas Welte on
Nicolas Welte wrote:
> Anders Carlsson wrote:
>> Nicolas Welte <welte_spam(a)freenet.de> writes:
>>
>>> Some Floppy drives need 5V only.
>>
>> ... and the logic board only uses 5V? Is it the drive mechanism
>> in a 1541/71/81 that typically needs the 12V?
>>

> yes, and mainly the motors. In the 1540/41/51/70/71 there is 12V
> depending motor control circuits on the mainboard as well.

I got my 1581 drive board from Leif today :) Thanks! It came with the
first version of the DOS ROM, so I will have to upgrade it before using
any important disks with it.

First, I tested it with an Amiga type drive, Chinon FZ-354. This one
says it works with 5V only, but I didn't really tested it. Only a quick
test of the board was what I had in mind.

Then, I made a connection to the drive that I want to use with the
board: a TEAC FD-05HG-5686-U slimline Laptop drive. It also runs on 5V
only, and it uses only a single flat cable connection without a separate
power lead. So I used Pin 1 on the 34pin connector of the 1581 for +5V,
as it was not used otherwise.

The connection goes as follows (I used only two pins for power supply):

1581 TEAC signal
01 01 +5V (1581 modified for this)
02 06 disk change
10 04 drive select (always GND on 1581)
16 10 motor on
18 12 direction
20 14 step
22 16 write data
24 18 write gate
26 20 track 00
28 22 write protect
30 24 read data
32 26 side select
33 25 GND
34 08 ready

so the nice thing about these slimline drives is, they have both the
DISKCHANGE and the READY signals on their connector. not so nice is the
high density flat cable connector. I soldered my cable directly to the
floppy board ...

Works very fine, except for a small issue with the 1581 power LED not
blinking properly. I remember someone told me about this problem, I will
investigate ...

Nicolas
From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hi Nicolas,

>[...]
> so the nice thing about these slimline drives is, they have both the
> DISKCHANGE and the READY signals on their connector. not so nice is the
> high density flat cable connector. I soldered my cable directly to the
> floppy board ...
>
> Works very fine, except for a small issue with the 1581 power LED not
> blinking properly. I remember someone told me about this problem, I will
> investigate ...

was this me, when reporting my success on building
Mika's DCN-2692 in conjunction with Teac slimline
floppy disk drive?

Maybe it would help to set drive select in combination
with /MOTOR_ON ?

Womo
From: David Nelson on
The email didn't go thru?

David
dnelsonfl at yahoo dot com
"David Nelson" <dnelsonfl(a)yahoo.com!removejunk!> wrote in message
> Thank you, I look forward to the email.
>
> -David

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12