From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hi CHris,

> Rusty wrote:
>> I have found the 1581 FIX ROMS on eBay auction 150012894092 they are
>> about $5
>
> Just got one from there...
>
> *** IT DOES NOT WORK ***
>
> (cannot issue commands to the drive and the activity led is ON for
> ever...)
>
> The chip is a NEC D27c512D-20 // PGM@ 12.5V // 8724EX700
>
> Can I do something with this chip or trash it ?

A 27C512 is a standard CMOS EPROM with the programming
voltage of 12.5 volts.

You should ask Rusty to exchange it with a working (and
well tested) one. Since the auction page claims these
EPROMs as new there surely will be some warranty. And
since 3 more items are told to be available, it shouldn't
be an issue.

As an alternative you may reuse the EPROM (if it isn't
destroyed completely), if you should be the lucky owner
of an UV EPROM eraser and an EPROM burner.
Btw. that's why I love pin compatible Flash-ROMs like
the 29C256 so much, you mostly don't need any special
equipment beside a network card and Uniflash ;-)

Womo
From: David Nelson on
Going by the documentation here:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/drives/new/1581/index.html

It should be a 27x256 chip used. (U2, 318045-02, 27256 EPROM DOS 10 rev.)
It also lists Chinon F-354E or Chinon FB-354 as the drive mechanism for
those interested.

-David

From: Nicolas Welte on
David Nelson wrote:
> Going by the documentation here:
> http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/drives/new/1581/index.html
>
> It should be a 27x256 chip used. (U2, 318045-02, 27256 EPROM DOS 10 rev.)

A 27x512 chip will also work fine, if you take into account that pin 1
of the chip socket carries a logic high level. This means you have to
put the data into addresses $8000-$FFFF of the chip. $0000-$7FFF can be
empty or any other data, it will not be seen by the 1581 controller.

> It also lists Chinon F-354E or Chinon FB-354 as the drive mechanism for
> those interested.

One of my original 1581 drives is equipped with the F-354E mechanism. I
made the experience that this mechanism is able to read old and weak
disks a lot better than other mechanisms I own (or owned and tested at
that time). Once I even took the mechanism and attached it to an Amiga
for reading some weak and old Amiga disks.

Nicolas
From: xc8/bRONx on
Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Moser wrote:
> Hi CHris,
>
> > Rusty wrote:
> >> I have found the 1581 FIX ROMS on eBay auction 150012894092 they are
> >> about $5
> >
> > Just got one from there...
> >
> > *** IT DOES NOT WORK ***
> >
> > (cannot issue commands to the drive and the activity led is ON for
> > ever...)
> >
> > The chip is a NEC D27c512D-20 // PGM@ 12.5V // 8724EX700
> >
> > Can I do something with this chip or trash it ?
>
> A 27C512 is a standard CMOS EPROM with the programming
> voltage of 12.5 volts.
>
> You should ask Rusty to exchange it with a working (and
> well tested) one. Since the auction page claims these

yeap, the seller wrote me that he/she will send me a new tested one..
when I receive it, I will return the old one back..

> EPROMs as new there surely will be some warranty. And
> since 3 more items are told to be available, it shouldn't
> be an issue.
>

> As an alternative you may reuse the EPROM (if it isn't
> destroyed completely), if you should be the lucky owner

as I see it is not destroyed, I mean the pins all are OK..

so.. I have to wait now..

Chris

From: Wolfgang Moser on
Chris,

> yeap, the seller wrote me that he/she will send me a new tested one..
> when I receive it, I will return the old one back..

this sounds fine. Although coupled with some time
consuming hassle, things will surely get alright.

>> As an alternative you may reuse the EPROM (if it isn't
>> destroyed completely), if you should be the lucky owner
>
> as I see it is not destroyed, I mean the pins all are OK..

I meant the inner workings of the EPROM. I remember
that I shot some CMOS 12.5V types with an unable
EPROM burner that did 25V on them, when I was a kid.

> so.. I have to wait now..

I wish you the best as you deserve it ;-)

Womo
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: 6502 illegal opcodes questions