From: oldsoundguy on
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:09:47 -0400, "liquidator"
<mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:

>I think Ron made a recent post noting substatial differeces in US vs UK
>English.
>
>He wasn't kidding.
>
>When I was in London the doorman told me "This is an informal club,sir. You
>can take your dickey and jacket off."
>
>Next thing I knew I was under arrest.

Confusion abounds.
I was married to a transplanted Brit .. but she had spent many years
in US schools so there was just this trace.
My MIL, on the other hand was from Leeds and it showed!!
(the FOOD differences are there as well.)
From: www.locoworks.com on
On Sep 10, 7:36�pm, oldsoundguy <sound...(a)ixpres.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:09:47 -0400, "liquidator"
>
> <mi...(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:
> >I think Ron made a recent post noting substatial differeces in US vs UK
> >English.
>
> >He wasn't kidding.
>
> >When I was in London the doorman told me "This is an informal club,sir. You
> >can take your dickey and jacket off."
>
> >Next thing I knew I was under arrest.
>
> �Confusion abounds.
> I was married to a transplanted Brit .. but she had spent many years
> in US schools so there was just this trace.
> My MIL, on the other hand was from Leeds and it showed!!
> (the FOOD differences are there as well.)

What about the perennial favorite: "I'll knock you up later."
From: Bob Howes on

"Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message

<snip>

> The best one was Coke when they launched in China. Billboards went up
> everywhere with the familiar "Coke Adds Life" slogan which got translated
> as "Coke will bring your ancestors back from the dead" !!!
>
> Phildo

Chinese translations produce some of the best mangled English.

I'm not entirely sure about all the claims made by this product:

http://www.pho56.com/4images/data/media/3/vq037s.jpg

Be sure to read all the fine print!

Bob

From: Gareth Magennis on

"oldsoundguy" <soundguy(a)ixpres.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:09:47 -0400, "liquidator"
> <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:
>
>>I think Ron made a recent post noting substatial differeces in US vs UK
>>English.
>>
>>He wasn't kidding.
>>
>>When I was in London the doorman told me "This is an informal club,sir.
>>You
>>can take your dickey and jacket off."
>>
>>Next thing I knew I was under arrest.
>>
> Confusion abounds.
> I was married to a transplanted Brit .. but she had spent many years
> in US schools so there was just this trace.
> My MIL, on the other hand was from Leeds and it showed!!

Ah, well, Leeds (Yorkshire) people and UK Northerners in general, have their
own language. I think it is unlikely your average American would understand
a word anyone was saying in Sunderland, for example. ("Ya gan doon' bank"
means "you go down the hill")

In Yorkshire, the words "the" and "a" don't exist, but are replaced by
gutteral stops. As in "I'm off t' pub for' pint.

Best one I've heard is "Tin tin tin" This translates as "It isn't in the
tin"

Gareth.

From: William Black on

"Gareth Magennis" <sound.service(a)btconnect.com> wrote in message

> In Yorkshire, the words "the" and "a" don't exist, but are replaced by
> gutteral stops. As in "I'm off t' pub for' pint.
>
> Best one I've heard is "Tin tin tin" This translates as "It isn't in
> the tin"

Them's 'Wessies'

North Yorkshire and East Yorkshire have their own distinct accents.

So do most of the Yorkshire cities.

http://www.ydsociety.org.uk/

--
William Black