From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 16/09/08 10:46, in article
MnKzk.58472$E41.11423(a)text.news.virginmedia.com, "Gareth Magennis"
<gareth.magennis(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message
>> On 15/09/08 21:21, in article
>> JAyzk.58261$E41.39859(a)text.news.virginmedia.com, "Gareth Magennis"
>> <gareth.magennis(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> "Joe Kotroczo" <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote in message

>>> But commonly, conversational French omits the "ne". "J'ai pas un Nova"
>>> will be what your average man on the street will be saying. Unless he's
>>> posh.
>>
>> That's wanna-be-cool street speak. Best avoided in polite conversation.
>>

> Hmm, we were taught at school the "ne" omission was pretty common and were
> allowed to use it occasionally.

Interesting. We were taught in school that it is "bad french".

Wikipedia says this:

Omission de � ne �
-------------------
Le morph�me ne peut �tre omis :

* dans la langue famili�re :
EX : J'ai jamais dit �a

* dans les constructions elliptiques :
EX : � Est-ce que vous avez vu ce film ? � Pas encore.

L'adverbe pas �tant tonique, il est senti comme plus n�gatif que le ne seul
d'un point de vue intersubjectif, mais pas d'un point de vue grammatical
pur.

Pas seul peut �tre employ� sans qu'il y ait omission de ne :
EX : Piti�, pas moi !

<http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%A9gation_en_fran%C3%A7ais#Omission_de_.C2
..AB_ne_.C2.BB>

N.B. "langue famili�re" is the way you would speak with your mates. Not what
you would speak with a stranger.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: www.locoworks.com on
On Sep 11, 12:56�pm, Mickey <mic...(a)perusion.net> wrote:
> On 2008-09-11, William Black <william.bl...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > "Gareth Magennis" <sound.serv...(a)btconnect.com> wrote in message
>
> >> "Michael Dobony" <sur...(a)stopassaultnow.net> wrote in message
> >> I've always wondered what is the point of those "beware of low flying
> >> aircraft" roadsigns.
>
> >> And I quite often pass a big Motorway sign with a smaller sign on it
> >> saying "Sign not in use".
>
> > There's near here that says 'beware falling rocks'.
>
> > As a general rule the boulders that fall from this particular cliff weigh in
> > the region of 500Kg to 1,000Kg along with an assortment of smaller gravel.
>
> > What are you supposed to do if you see one thundering towards you?
>
> Actually, they have changed most of those signs to highlight
> the real issue:
>
> � � � � Beware Fallen Rock
>
> It isn't the falling ones that are the big danger, but the fallen
> ones lying in the road waiting to puncture your oilpan, muffler,
> or tires.
>
> --
> Mickey
> "Laughter is inner jogging." -- Norman Cousins- Hide quoted text -

There is a story about two automotive engineers having the eternal
discussion about boot and bonnet versus trunk and hood when the
American engineer says, "It should be hood and trunk. After all, we
invented the autombile," to which the English engineer replies, "Yes,
but we invented the language."
From: Ron(UK) on
www.locoworks.com wrote:

> There is a story about two automotive engineers having the eternal
> discussion about boot and bonnet versus trunk and hood when the
> American engineer says, "It should be hood and trunk. After all, we
> invented the autombile," to which the English engineer replies, "Yes,
> but we invented the language."

Erm... just when was it that an American invented the Automobile?

Ron(UK)
From: Eeyore on

"Ron(UK)" wrote:

> www.locoworks.com wrote:
>
> > There is a story about two automotive engineers having the eternal
> > discussion about boot and bonnet versus trunk and hood when the
> > American engineer says, "It should be hood and trunk. After all, we
> > invented the autombile," to which the English engineer replies, "Yes,
> > but we invented the language."
>
> Erm... just when was it that an American invented the Automobile?

Sometime after a German chappie IIRC.

Graham

From: William Black on

"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Ron(UK)" wrote:
>
>> www.locoworks.com wrote:
>>
>> > There is a story about two automotive engineers having the eternal
>> > discussion about boot and bonnet versus trunk and hood when the
>> > American engineer says, "It should be hood and trunk. After all, we
>> > invented the autombile," to which the English engineer replies, "Yes,
>> > but we invented the language."
>>
>> Erm... just when was it that an American invented the Automobile?
>
> Sometime after a German chappie IIRC.

We're not mentioning Hero of Alexandria here.

The idea that a Greek invented the motor car is one people tend to reject...

--
William Black

Time for tea.