From: jakdedert on
Gareth Magennis wrote:
> "oldsoundguy" <soundguy(a)ixpres.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:09:47 -0400, "liquidator"
>> <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think Ron made a recent post noting substatial differeces in US vs UK
>>> English.
>>>
>>> He wasn't kidding.
>>>
>>> When I was in London the doorman told me "This is an informal club,sir.
>>> You
>>> can take your dickey and jacket off."
>>>
>>> Next thing I knew I was under arrest.
>>>
>> Confusion abounds.
>> I was married to a transplanted Brit .. but she had spent many years
>> in US schools so there was just this trace.
>> My MIL, on the other hand was from Leeds and it showed!!
>

> Ah, well, Leeds (Yorkshire) people and UK Northerners in general, have their
> own language. I think it is unlikely your average American would understand
> a word anyone was saying in Sunderland, for example. ("Ya gan doon' bank"
> means "you go down the hill")
>
> In Yorkshire, the words "the" and "a" don't exist, but are replaced by
> gutteral stops. As in "I'm off t' pub for' pint.
>
> Best one I've heard is "Tin tin tin" This translates as "It isn't in the
> tin"
>

> Gareth.

It's almost as bad here in the States. Northerners have to work hard to
understand those in the South. When I moved here, I got in hot water
over instruction to arrive 'around dinner time'. In the North, 'dinner'
is the evening meal. In the South, it's what we up north call 'lunch';
although that term is also used interchangeably. When I showed up
around 5:00pm, I was in trouble....

There are many other examples. Many consist of unique turns of phrase
('Cut on the light.' 'Carry me down to the store.'), others involve
unusual--for Northerners--terms, like 'hosepipe' and 'stove eye'.

All the above assumes one can understand the actual dialect.
Pronunciation can vary from merely melodic, to nearly incomprehensible.
There are marked variations from city to city within the various
regions of the US, as well...mostly derived from the national origins of
the predominant immigrant population.

jak
From: George's ProSound Company on
I try to have all appointments , job confirmations, and such sent email
I find the Caribbean and Indian accents almost impossible to understand on a
telephone
it's a little better face to face
but I am sure people get really tired of, "I'm sorry I can't understand
you"
so I simply ask for a email address and try to communicate that way
George

From: Ty Ford on
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:06:44 -0400, geoff wrote
(in article <9fWdnfXttqQaOVTVnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d(a)giganews.com>):

> Gareth Magennis wrote:
>>
>> I've always wondered what is the point of those "beware of low flying
>> aircraft" roadsigns.
>>
>> And I quite often pass a big Motorway sign with a smaller sign on it
>> saying "Sign not in use".
>
> Or "Warning - this sign has very sharp edges" .
>
> geoff

"This page left intentionally blank!"

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

From: oldsoundguy on
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:48:33 -0400, "George's ProSound Company"
<bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I try to have all appointments , job confirmations, and such sent email
>I find the Caribbean and Indian accents almost impossible to understand on a
>telephone
>it's a little better face to face
>but I am sure people get really tired of, "I'm sorry I can't understand
>you"
>so I simply ask for a email address and try to communicate that way
>George

Or a room full of Scotts at a formal (with kilts) Scottish wedding
reception where at least a case of Famous Grouse has been consumed!
LOL BEEN THERE!!
From: Phildo on

"Ron(UK)" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
> Tha can alus tell a Yorkshireman
>

> But tha canst tell him much!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-63711994125288566 - check this
one out, it's hysterical.