From: Phildo on

"oldsoundguy" <soundguy(a)ixpres.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:48:33 -0400, "George's ProSound Company"
> <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I try to have all appointments , job confirmations, and such sent email
>>I find the Caribbean and Indian accents almost impossible to understand on
>>telephone
>>it's a little better face to face
>>but I am sure people get really tired of, "I'm sorry I can't understand
>>you"
>>so I simply ask for a email address and try to communicate that way
>>George
>>
> Or a room full of Scotts at a formal (with kilts) Scottish wedding
> reception where at least a case of Famous Grouse has been consumed!
> LOL BEEN THERE!!

I did a gig at an Irish pub on NYE when I was about 18. Hard enough to
understand when they were sober but once the booze started flowing I gave up
trying to understand them and just nodded, smiled and hoped they were too
drunk to notice.

Phildo

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 12/09/08 10:00, in article
wkpyk.56549$E41.13960(a)text.news.virginmedia.com, "Gareth Magennis"
<gareth.magennis(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I thought "doesn't go" would have been "va pas". Mind you its been years
> since my French lessons too!

Ne va pas.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Eeyore on

oldsoundguy wrote:

> "George's ProSound Company" wrote:
>
> >I try to have all appointments , job confirmations, and such sent email
> >I find the Caribbean and Indian accents almost impossible to understand on a
> >telephone
> >it's a little better face to face
> >but I am sure people get really tired of, "I'm sorry I can't understand
> >you"

It's also a great way of getting rid of the useless support you know they might
be about to give you. I did once say "I am not going to talk to any more
Indians". The well educated ones actually probably speak better English than
some of our slobs.

> >so I simply ask for a email address and try to communicate that way
> >George
>
> Or a room full of Scotts

Scots. Scott is a forename. It would be like saying a room full of Freds.

> at a formal (with kilts) Scottish wedding
> reception where at least a case of Famous Grouse has been consumed!
> LOL BEEN THERE!!

I'd rather hope they'd have better discernment than to consume 'Famous Grouse'.

Graham

From: Jon ;o} on

Eeyore wrote:

> oldsoundguy wrote:
>
>> "George's ProSound Company" wrote:
>>
>>> I try to have all appointments , job confirmations, and such sent email
>>> I find the Caribbean and Indian accents almost impossible to understand on a
>>> telephone
>>> it's a little better face to face
>>> but I am sure people get really tired of, "I'm sorry I can't understand
>>> you"
>
> It's also a great way of getting rid of the useless support you know they might
> be about to give you. I did once say "I am not going to talk to any more
> Indians". The well educated ones actually probably speak better English than
> some of our slobs.
>

>>> so I simply ask for a email address and try to communicate that way
>>> George
>> Or a room full of Scotts
>
> Scots. Scott is a forename. It would be like saying a room full of Freds.

Since we're off-topic anyway, Scott is a surname that has been inexplicably taken and
used as a forename, as with Campbell, Macdonald and Hamilton.

For our family get-togethers we often have a room full of Scotts, but I know this is
not what the poster meant.

And although many Scotts came from Scotland (there is a Scott clan with its own
tartan) many, especially in the south of England, came from France with William the
Conqueror. How they got there is anyone's guess but the name may be a corruption of
Scutt or Secote.

Genealogical vent over, hopefully back to live sound...

Jon Scott
From: liquidator on

"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> oldsoundguy wrote:
>

> > Or a room full of Scotts
>
> Scots. Scott is a forename. It would be like saying a room full of Freds.

Actually, at least in this area, very common surname also.