From: Ron(UK) on
Gareth Magennis wrote:
> "oldsoundguy" <soundguy(a)ixpres.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:09:47 -0400, "liquidator"
>> <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think Ron made a recent post noting substatial differeces in US vs UK
>>> English.
>>>
>>> He wasn't kidding.
>>>
>>> When I was in London the doorman told me "This is an informal club,sir.
>>> You
>>> can take your dickey and jacket off."
>>>
>>> Next thing I knew I was under arrest.
>>>
>> Confusion abounds.
>> I was married to a transplanted Brit .. but she had spent many years
>> in US schools so there was just this trace.
>> My MIL, on the other hand was from Leeds and it showed!!
>

> Ah, well, Leeds (Yorkshire) people and UK Northerners in general, have their
> own language. I think it is unlikely your average American would understand
> a word anyone was saying in Sunderland, for example. ("Ya gan doon' bank"
> means "you go down the hill")
>
> In Yorkshire, the words "the" and "a" don't exist, but are replaced by
> gutteral stops. As in "I'm off t' pub for' pint.

Tha can alus tell a Yorkshireman

But tha canst tell him much!

> Best one I've heard is "Tin tin tin" This translates as "It isn't in the
> tin"

Lancashire to English translations here

http://www.troubleatmill.btinternet.co.uk/speak.htm#INDEX

Ron (Half Lancashire half Yorkshire)
From: Gareth Magennis on

"William Black" <william.black(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Gareth Magennis" <sound.service(a)btconnect.com> wrote in message
>
>> In Yorkshire, the words "the" and "a" don't exist, but are replaced by
>> gutteral stops. As in "I'm off t' pub for' pint.
>>
>> Best one I've heard is "Tin tin tin" This translates as "It isn't in
>> the tin"
>
> Them's 'Wessies'
>
> North Yorkshire and East Yorkshire have their own distinct accents.
>
> So do most of the Yorkshire cities.
>
> http://www.ydsociety.org.uk/
>

> --
> William Black

Nice link, William, it's an interesting subject really. (I live in Leeds by
the way).

Gareth.

From: William Black on

> "William Black" <william.black(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Gareth Magennis" <sound.service(a)btconnect.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> In Yorkshire, the words "the" and "a" don't exist, but are replaced by
>>> gutteral stops. As in "I'm off t' pub for' pint.
>>>
>>> Best one I've heard is "Tin tin tin" This translates as "It isn't in
>>> the tin"
>>
>> Them's 'Wessies'
>>
>> North Yorkshire and East Yorkshire have their own distinct accents.
>>
>> So do most of the Yorkshire cities.
>>
>> http://www.ydsociety.org.uk/
>>

>> --
>> William Black
>>

> Nice link, William, it's an interesting subject really. (I live in Leeds
> by the way).

I'm in Scarborough

I used to work with the guy who wrote the first piece in the examples.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

From: Phildo on

"Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:09:47 -0400, liquidator wrote:
>
>> I think Ron made a recent post noting substatial differeces in US vs UK
>> English.
>>
>> He wasn't kidding.
>>
>> When I was in London the doorman told me "This is an informal club,sir.
>> You
>> can take your dickey and jacket off."
>>
>> Next thing I knew I was under arrest.
>
> Mind the gap.

What is supposedly amusing about that? "Mind the gap" is exactly what it
means - be careful of the gap between the train and the platform.

Phildo

From: Gareth Magennis on

"Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message

> "Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:09:47 -0400, liquidator wrote:
>>
>>> I think Ron made a recent post noting substatial differeces in US vs UK
>>> English.
>>>
>>> He wasn't kidding.
>>>
>>> When I was in London the doorman told me "This is an informal club,sir.
>>> You
>>> can take your dickey and jacket off."
>>>
>>> Next thing I knew I was under arrest.
>>
>> Mind the gap.
>
> What is supposedly amusing about that? "Mind the gap" is exactly what it
> means - be careful of the gap between the train and the platform.
>
> Phildo

Also a mildly amusing band name.

Gareth.