From: Phildo on

"www.locoworks.com" <videochas(a)aol.com> wrote in message
>Here in the colonies "The Gap" is the name of a clothing store chain.
>So the store manager would be "minding The Gap".

We have Gap clothing stores here in the mother country as well. Still, they
went in to business looooooooong after the London underground was built.
Only reason they have those announcements is that the stations are on bends
in the line so there are a few places where a child could slip between the
train and the platform.

Still don't see anything amusing about it though.

Phildo

From: Phildo on

"Michael Dobony" <survey(a)stopassaultnow.net> wrote in message
>>> Mind the gap.
>>
>> What is supposedly amusing about that? "Mind the gap" is exactly what it
>> means - be careful of the gap between the train and the platform.
>>
> we still laugh at that, along with "mind the door." Like DUH! Even in
> this lawsuit-happy country where Winnebago has to have a disclaimer in
> their manual not to leave the drivers seat when the cruise control is on
> because some dummy got up to make himself a sandwich while on the road we
> don't need to be reminded that there is a gap or a door there.

I take it you've never travelled on the London Underground then? Trust me,
there is a VERY good reason why that announcement is played every time a
train pulls in to certain stations. There is indeed a very large gap in
places and with the trains being as crowded as they are it can be hard to
see, especially if you are a tourist and haven't been there before. Nothing
funny about it Bony.

Phildo

From: Phildo on

"Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message

>>> we still laugh at that, along with "mind the door." Like DUH! Even in
>>> this lawsuit-happy country where Winnebago has to have a disclaimer in
>>> their manual not to leave the drivers seat when the cruise control is on
>>> because some dummy got up to make himself a sandwich while on the road
>>> we
>>> don't need to be reminded that there is a gap or a door there.
>>
>> Well, actually not quite so. That particular announcement is only used
>> at
>> very few stations - particularly BANK station on the London Underground
>> Central Line, which is on a serious curve. Now, train carriages are
>> pretty
>> straight and quite stiff, so they don't bend around corners - and this
>> forms
>> a gap big enough for an average chick (and some blokes I know) to fall
>> down - and they used to. Hence the announcement. PS: The problem is
>> particularly acute during the rush hours, when there are so many bodies
>> fighting to get on and off that you can't even see the ground that you're
>> walking on - believe me, I've had lots of practice............. As far
>> as
>> the doors are concerned, that's just their polite way of saying "Get out
>> of
>> the fuckin' way you arsehole, 'cos the train can't leave until you do"
>

> It said that at every station from Heathrow to near London Bridge.

"Mind the doors" yes - it is an automatic announcement telling people the
doors are about to close and to be careful they don't get anything caught in
them. I've seen people lose handbags or very nearly get killed having got
clothing caught in those doors when the train pulls away. As for "Mind the
gap", it is indeed only on VERY few stations on the system when there is a
nasty bend on the platform.

> Also on
> every elevator we went on. As far as rush hour, is it any different than
> NYC?

We are more polite in London than NYC. Also the trains are different and I
think you will find the doors are more sensitive to things being caught in
them in NY along with there being more space between the train and the sides
of the tunnel.

Phildo

From: Phildo on

"Michael Dobony" <survey(a)stopassaultnow.net> wrote in message
>>> Mind the gap.
>
> we still laugh at that, along with "mind the door."

Little things please little minds.

Phildo

From: lemon on
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:00:28 GMT, "Gareth Magennis"
<gareth.magennis(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

><lemon(a)aids.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>Not sure about the Nova claim- it's also made about the Chevy Nova. It
>>>isn't
>>>internet legend- I heard it back around 1972, so it was around way before
>>>the net. But many authorities discount it. Me, I'm agnostic...
>>
>> Nova also sounds like 'doesn't go' in French. "Non va" is the French, Je
>> vais,
>> tu va, il va, nous allons, vous alley etc etc. Its been a few years
>> since
>> French class!!
>>

>I thought "doesn't go" would have been "va pas". Mind you its been years
>since my French lessons too!

Take a conversation... "Mon Chevy ne vas pas" "Did you say your Chevy runs
well?" "Non! J'ai dites NE VAS PAS!!! Mon Chevy ne vas pas!" So it sounds
like Chevy nova pas".

Of course, we are just talking words here... its sort of like "no go Chevy" to
us... it's not proper language but we get the idea...

Funny thing, I learned to drive in a 1966 Chevy Nova!! Was a nice car...