From: Mickey on
On 2008-09-11, William Black <william.black(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> "Gareth Magennis" <sound.service(a)btconnect.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Michael Dobony" <survey(a)stopassaultnow.net> wrote in message
>> I've always wondered what is the point of those "beware of low flying
>> aircraft" roadsigns.
>>
>> And I quite often pass a big Motorway sign with a smaller sign on it
>> saying "Sign not in use".
>
> There's near here that says 'beware falling rocks'.
>
> As a general rule the boulders that fall from this particular cliff weigh in
> the region of 500Kg to 1,000Kg along with an assortment of smaller gravel.
>
> What are you supposed to do if you see one thundering towards you?

Actually, they have changed most of those signs to highlight
the real issue:

Beware Fallen Rock

It isn't the falling ones that are the big danger, but the fallen
ones lying in the road waiting to puncture your oilpan, muffler,
or tires.

--
Mickey
"Laughter is inner jogging." -- Norman Cousins
From: geoff on
Gareth Magennis wrote:

> I've always wondered what is the point of those "beware of low flying
> aircraft" roadsigns.
>
> And I quite often pass a big Motorway sign with a smaller sign on it
> saying "Sign not in use".

Or "Warning - this sign has very sharp edges" .

geoff

From: Mike Dobony on
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:47:44 +0100, Chas Gill wrote:

> "Michael Dobony" <survey(a)stopassaultnow.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:14:39 +0100, Phildo wrote:
>>
>>> "Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message

>>> What is supposedly amusing about that? "Mind the gap" is exactly what it
>>> means - be careful of the gap between the train and the platform.
>>>
>>> Phildo
>>
>> we still laugh at that, along with "mind the door." Like DUH! Even in
>> this lawsuit-happy country where Winnebago has to have a disclaimer in
>> their manual not to leave the drivers seat when the cruise control is on
>> because some dummy got up to make himself a sandwich while on the road we
>> don't need to be reminded that there is a gap or a door there.
>
> Well, actually not quite so. That particular announcement is only used at
> very few stations - particularly BANK station on the London Underground
> Central Line, which is on a serious curve. Now, train carriages are pretty
> straight and quite stiff, so they don't bend around corners - and this forms
> a gap big enough for an average chick (and some blokes I know) to fall
> down - and they used to. Hence the announcement. PS: The problem is
> particularly acute during the rush hours, when there are so many bodies
> fighting to get on and off that you can't even see the ground that you're
> walking on - believe me, I've had lots of practice............. As far as
> the doors are concerned, that's just their polite way of saying "Get out of
> the fuckin' way you arsehole, 'cos the train can't leave until you do"

It said that at every station from Heathrow to near London Bridge. Also on
every elevator we went on. As far as rush hour, is it any different than
NYC?
From: lemon on

>Not sure about the Nova claim- it's also made about the Chevy Nova. It isn't
>internet legend- I heard it back around 1972, so it was around way before
>the net. But many authorities discount it. Me, I'm agnostic...

Nova also sounds like 'doesn't go' in French. "Non va" is the French, Je vais,
tu va, il va, nous allons, vous alley etc etc. Its been a few years since
French class!!

From: Gareth Magennis on

<lemon(a)aids.com> wrote in message

>>Not sure about the Nova claim- it's also made about the Chevy Nova. It
>>isn't
>>internet legend- I heard it back around 1972, so it was around way before
>>the net. But many authorities discount it. Me, I'm agnostic...
>
> Nova also sounds like 'doesn't go' in French. "Non va" is the French, Je
> vais,
> tu va, il va, nous allons, vous alley etc etc. Its been a few years
> since
> French class!!

I thought "doesn't go" would have been "va pas". Mind you its been years
since my French lessons too!

Gareth.