From: liquidator on
I think Ron made a recent post noting substatial differeces in US vs UK
English.

He wasn't kidding.

When I was in London the doorman told me "This is an informal club,sir. You
can take your dickey and jacket off."

Next thing I knew I was under arrest.

From: geoff on
liquidator wrote:
> I think Ron made a recent post noting substatial differeces in US vs
> UK English.
>
> He wasn't kidding.
>
> When I was in London the doorman told me "This is an informal
> club,sir. You can take your dickey and jacket off."
>
> Next thing I knew I was under arrest.

Not to mention in need of re-attachment surgery ?

geoff

From: geoff on
geoff wrote:
> liquidator wrote:
>> I think Ron made a recent post noting substatial differeces in US vs
>> UK English.
>>
>> He wasn't kidding.
>>
>> When I was in London the doorman told me "This is an informal
>> club,sir. You can take your dickey and jacket off."
>>
>> Next thing I knew I was under arrest.
>
> Not to mention in need of re-attachment surgery ?

It's not so much 'UK English' as 'Rest Of The Torld English', though that
partuicular expression may very extremely regional , even within the UK.

My best look of horror from some yank freinds was when I was explaining how
I was honking at somebody from my car.

geoff

From: Mike Dobony on
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:09:47 -0400, liquidator wrote:

> I think Ron made a recent post noting substatial differeces in US vs UK
> English.
>
> He wasn't kidding.
>
> When I was in London the doorman told me "This is an informal club,sir. You
> can take your dickey and jacket off."
>
> Next thing I knew I was under arrest.

Mind the gap.
From: geoff on
liquidator wrote:

> Not sure about the Nova claim- it's also made about the Chevy Nova.
> It isn't internet legend- I heard it back around 1972, so it was
> around way before the net. But many authorities discount it. Me, I'm
> agnostic...

Well "no va" does mean "doesn't go" en espanol.

The Pajero people weren't so clever....

geoff