From: Roy L. Fuchs on
On 2 Apr 2006 03:06:41 -0700, top9(a)gazeta.pl Gave us:

> [...]
>more times you turned it, the longer it rotated on its own later,
>although, theoretically, it should not. They published the results of
>their research in "Journal of Technical Physics".
>
>THE ROTOR "REMEMBERS" THE EARLIER TURNS
>
>"It turns out that the rotor 'remembers' the earlier rotations and so
>the more it is turned, the longer it will spin later. This effect is
>more noticeable when the turn is in a different direction, that is the
>turbine is turned first to the left, then to the right" - explains
>Jerzy Mazur, a physicist, one of the authors of the article. When the
>rotor is turned in different directions it appears to spin for much
>longer. It also has a different timing for different directions.
>
>The experiment was conducted with the use of a turbine fixed in a
>bearing (i.e. a gyroscope secured in a yoke). A gyroscope is a
>mechanical appliance used mainly as a stabiliser. The simplest version
>is a heavy wheel rotating round its own axis. The experiment involved
>giving an impetus at a given speed and then stopping it so that the
>friction of the bearing would cause it to stop. The speed and time was
>measured by computer.
>
>BEARING OR TEMPERATURE
>
>The experimenters did ten minute breaks between each run so as to allow
>the bearing to cool. Another session of measurements was conducted to
>check whether the changes were not an effect of the smoothing of the
>mechanism.
>
>"The rotor's axis was placed vertically, so the bottom bearing was in
>work mostly as it was weighted with the turbine. After the first
>measurement, the yoke was turned so that the bottom bearing was on top
>and after taking five measurements the yoke was turned again and
>another series of measurements was taken". The results show huge
>differences between the measurements, which indicate that friction is
>not the only factor.
>
>NOBODY KNOWS THE CAUSE
>
>"We cannot establish the cause of this phenomenon. We have discovered
>the effect and now theorists are trying to get their head round it. But
>this may change thinking about basic mechanics. We have run this
>experiment for a few years on different gyroscopes and we have achieved
>the same effect. We have made around two-hundred-and-fifty thousand
>measurements" - says Mazur.
>
>The authors of the experiment would like other physicists to also
>research this problem as it will enable the problem to be solved, which
>may cause a technological breakthrough. It may be a solution as to why
>temperature rises due to friction in turbogenerators (turbine
>electrical generators), which usually results in damage.
>
>The research was conducted in the Physical Chemistry Institute of the
>Jagellonian University as part of a science research contract signed
>between Jerzy Mazur's team and the Rector for Science Research at the
>Jagellonian University, Professor Maria Nowakowska.

This is simple. The bearing, even though it seems as a point to you,
is actually a tiny swept surface thrust bearing. The one bearing that
holds the weight of the gyro in a gravitational setting, like being on
the surface of a planetoid has quite a lot of pressure on that swept
face bearing. A ten pound gyro would make for hundreds of pounds per
square inch on the bearing face. That polished face becomes
sympathetic to being wiped in a given direction, and going the other
way, after a short time will show the spin down time to grow in that
direction as well, just not from the start Upon a direction change.
Sure, that metallic bearing face is burnished by the ruby. It seems
reasonable to me to think that the burnished face of that mating
surface might be more slippery wiped one way, than the other. Then
after being wiped the other way, the bearing would sympathize with
that direction friction wise. Thereby exhibiting the behavior in both
directions eventually. Again, an uncaptivated gyro in earth orbit
will spin for a very, very long time. Many, many hours longer, yet
will show no "spin direction sympathy" or "memory" attributes. The
main clock spring gyro in a clock mechanism rotates in both directions
its entire life.
From: CWatters on

"Roy L. Fuchs" <roylfuchs(a)urfargingicehole.org> wrote in message

> That polished face becomes sympathetic to being wiped in a given
> direction,

Yes it's probably something like that. This effect could easily be
eliminated by turning the gyro disc over so that the bearing allways turns
the same way but the main mass of the rotor is reversed.

From: top9 on
http://jtp.ippt.gov.pl/

From: top9 on
http://www.oswirus.krakow.pl/cat_14/gyroscope/artykul_JTP.pdf

From: Hexenmeister on

<top9(a)gazeta.pl> wrote in message
| http://www.oswirus.krakow.pl/cat_14/gyroscope/artykul_JTP.pdf

Brass disk (242.94 g) supported on a steel spindle (23.46 g) and a steel
bearing.

Try an alnico rotor on a brass spindle.

http://www.magnetsales.com/Alnico/Alprops.htm#magnetic
Androcles.