From: top9 on
Yes, it is a "memory" efects in a disc of rotor and spindle.

From: top9 on
From: Physical Review Letters <prl(a)ridge.aps.org>

From: shevek4@yahoo.com on

realist wrote:
> http://www.oswirus.krakow.pl/cat_14/gyroscope/
>
> Memory effect in its rotor?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Allow me to quote from the
discussion in the paper:

"Given the results of the experiments described above, we believe that
although friction
is responsible for the gyroscope ultimately coming to a stop,
frictional e?ects cannot
be responsible for the e?ects observed. First, to a stop, frictional
e?ects cannot be re-
sponsible for the e?ects observed. First, they would depend on the type
of material of
the spinning disk, spindle or bearing. Second, needle bearing wear
would reduce the
rotation times (the spindle's top is being rubbed away which causes
the moment of
friction to rise) and not lengthen them, while surface rearrangement
would not favour
alternate directions of rotation, but would a?ect all the results
equally. "

How do you arrive at that conclusion? I don't see why a surface
rearrangement couldn't favor one direction over another.. there are
plenty of examples of surfaces that do have anisotropic friction
coefficients, though perhaps yours could be the first example on such
a small scale.

"For the same reason, our findings cannot be explained in terms of
these frictional (microscopic irregu-larities) force, because such
forces would lead to a constant di?erence between rotations in the
anticlockwise and in the clockwise directions, which is clearly not the
case."

That's the same statement again. And again, I don't see why we can
assume such forces would be constand for different directions. Picture
a surface such as:

______
___/ |
---/ |-------------

A portion of the needle sliding across this surface from left to right
will see less friction than if the needle portion were sliding from
right to left.

"Ad-ditionally, the time di?erences for the anticlockwise and
clockwise rotations are large at the beginning of measurements, they
decrease as the time of gyroscope's movement rises i.e. in the
subsequent experimental runs. It seems to be obvious that the
bearing's microscopic irregularities would generate an opposite
e?ect."

Forgive my ignorance.. how is that obvious?

Another consideration: friction due to air resistance. Comments?

Cheers - shevek

From: shevek4@yahoo.com on

From: Roy L. Fuchs on
On 12 Apr 2006 14:48:23 -0700, "shevek4(a)yahoo.com" <shevek4(a)yahoo.com>
Gave us:

>realist wrote:
>> http://www.oswirus.krakow.pl/cat_14/gyroscope/
>>
>> Memory effect in its rotor?
>
>Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Allow me to quote from the
>discussion in the paper:
>
>"Given the results of the experiments described above, we believe that
>although friction
>is responsible for the gyroscope ultimately coming to a stop,
>frictional e?ects cannot
>be responsible for the e?ects observed. First, to a stop, frictional
>e?ects cannot be re-
>sponsible for the e?ects observed. First, they would depend on the type
>of material of
>the spinning disk, spindle or bearing. Second, needle bearing wear
>would reduce the
>rotation times (the spindle's top is being rubbed away which causes
>the moment of
>friction to rise) and not lengthen them, while surface rearrangement
>would not favour
>alternate directions of rotation, but would a?ect all the results
>equally. "
>
>How do you arrive at that conclusion? I don't see why a surface
>rearrangement couldn't favor one direction over another.. there are
>plenty of examples of surfaces that do have anisotropic friction
>coefficients, though perhaps yours could be the first example on such
>a small scale.
>
>"For the same reason, our findings cannot be explained in terms of
>these frictional (microscopic irregu-larities) force, because such
>forces would lead to a constant di?erence between rotations in the
>anticlockwise and in the clockwise directions, which is clearly not the
>case."
>
>That's the same statement again. And again, I don't see why we can
>assume such forces would be constand for different directions. Picture
>a surface such as:
>
> ______
> ___/ |
>---/ |-------------
>
>A portion of the needle sliding across this surface from left to right
>will see less friction than if the needle portion were sliding from
>right to left.
>

> "Ad-ditionally, the time di?erences for the anticlockwise and
>clockwise rotations are large at the beginning of measurements, they
>decrease as the time of gyroscope's movement rises i.e. in the
>subsequent experimental runs. It seems to be obvious that the
>bearing's microscopic irregularities would generate an opposite
>e?ect."
>
>Forgive my ignorance.. how is that obvious?
>
>Another consideration: friction due to air resistance. Comments?
>
>Cheers - shevek

Yes, yours is a bit more technically stated, but my response was
also to the effect that whatever bearings are being used, there would
be a surface reorientation, as you describe that would lend to
rotation in one direction being favored up to the point that opposite
rotational periods lead to a surface reorientation that favors the new
direction.

I would call it "seasoning". Even disk brake operational
observations show some of these tendencies. In fact, they prove it to
be true. It is just a micro scale, whereas the disc brake scenario is
a more macro scale of the same effect.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Free Energy