From: top9 on
http://www.oswirus.krakow.pl/cat_14/gyroscope/

A symmetric harnessed gyroscope accelerated to a given spinning
frequency takes different time periods to stop, depending on the
direction of previous spins. For repeated alternating, anticlockwise
and clockwise spinning, the rotation period in both directions
significantly increases, which is not the case when the gyroscope is
repeatedly rotated in the same direction. Using the measurements it was
observed, that the time of gyroscope's rotation was significantly
lengthened or shortened, what indicates that it either increased or
decreased the movement resistance of the gyroscope. The presented
experimental results suggest the existence of anomalous movement
resistance and demonstrate that a fixed spinning gyroscope displays
unusual history-dependent movement resistance effects. The effect is
real, large, reproducible and does not follow from experimental errors.

The manuscript was reviewed thrice, according to the publishing
procedure in "Physical Review Letters" within two year. The remarks of
all the reviewers were taken into account during its correction.
Because the publishing procedure for our manuscript in "Physical Review
Letters" finished, we decided to publish it in Journal of Technical
Physics, J.Tech. Phys., 46, 2, 107-115, 2005.

From: Roy L. Fuchs on
On 1 Apr 2006 09:01:18 -0800, top9(a)gazeta.pl Gave us:

>http://www.oswirus.krakow.pl/cat_14/gyroscope/
>
>A symmetric harnessed gyroscope accelerated to a given spinning
>frequency takes different time periods to stop, depending on the
>direction of previous spins. For repeated alternating, anticlockwise
>and clockwise spinning, the rotation period in both directions
>significantly increases, which is not the case when the gyroscope is
>repeatedly rotated in the same direction. Using the measurements it was
>observed, that the time of gyroscope's rotation was significantly
>lengthened or shortened, what indicates that it either increased or
>decreased the movement resistance of the gyroscope. The presented
>experimental results suggest the existence of anomalous movement
>resistance and demonstrate that a fixed spinning gyroscope displays
>unusual history-dependent movement resistance effects. The effect is
>real, large, reproducible and does not follow from experimental errors.

If you are talking about a captivated gyro, those bearings have very
small perturbations in their operation. That would be a quite chaotic
perturbation, so results will never follow a trend, unless actual
metal wear was involved.

The best way is to spin the gyro up to speed, and release it from
the axle bearings.. Of course, this requires that you be in earth
orbit, or other suitable gravity free environment. THAT free spinning
gyro could then be tested with reliable results. Hope you have several
years to wait for each spin down though.

>The manuscript was reviewed thrice, according to the publishing
>procedure in "Physical Review Letters" within two year. The remarks of
>all the reviewers were taken into account during its correction.
>Because the publishing procedure for our manuscript in "Physical Review
>Letters" finished, we decided to publish it in Journal of Technical
>Physics, J.Tech. Phys., 46, 2, 107-115, 2005.

What kind of gyros?
From: CWatters on

<top9(a)gazeta.pl> wrote in message
> http://www.oswirus.krakow.pl/cat_14/gyroscope/
>
> A symmetric harnessed gyroscope accelerated to a given spinning
> frequency takes different time periods to stop, depending on the
> direction of previous spins. For repeated alternating, anticlockwise
> and clockwise spinning, the rotation period in both directions
> significantly increases,

Would have been interesting to do a RRRRRR run but with the giro disc turned
over between each run. That way the bearings turn the same way and the giro
disc alternates direction. Not sure why that wasn't done.

From: top9 on
Polish experiments with turbine
Scientists from the Jagellonian University and Opole University have
observed that multiple rotation of a simple turbine showed that the
more times you turned it, the longer it rotated on its own later,
although, theoretically, it should not. They published the results of
their research in "Journal of Technical Physics".

THE ROTOR "REMEMBERS" THE EARLIER TURNS

"It turns out that the rotor 'remembers' the earlier rotations and so
the more it is turned, the longer it will spin later. This effect is
more noticeable when the turn is in a different direction, that is the
turbine is turned first to the left, then to the right" - explains
Jerzy Mazur, a physicist, one of the authors of the article. When the
rotor is turned in different directions it appears to spin for much
longer. It also has a different timing for different directions.

The experiment was conducted with the use of a turbine fixed in a
bearing (i.e. a gyroscope secured in a yoke). A gyroscope is a
mechanical appliance used mainly as a stabiliser. The simplest version
is a heavy wheel rotating round its own axis. The experiment involved
giving an impetus at a given speed and then stopping it so that the
friction of the bearing would cause it to stop. The speed and time was
measured by computer.

BEARING OR TEMPERATURE

The experimenters did ten minute breaks between each run so as to allow
the bearing to cool. Another session of measurements was conducted to
check whether the changes were not an effect of the smoothing of the
mechanism.

"The rotor's axis was placed vertically, so the bottom bearing was in
work mostly as it was weighted with the turbine. After the first
measurement, the yoke was turned so that the bottom bearing was on top
and after taking five measurements the yoke was turned again and
another series of measurements was taken". The results show huge
differences between the measurements, which indicate that friction is
not the only factor.

NOBODY KNOWS THE CAUSE

"We cannot establish the cause of this phenomenon. We have discovered
the effect and now theorists are trying to get their head round it. But
this may change thinking about basic mechanics. We have run this
experiment for a few years on different gyroscopes and we have achieved
the same effect. We have made around two-hundred-and-fifty thousand
measurements" - says Mazur.

The authors of the experiment would like other physicists to also
research this problem as it will enable the problem to be solved, which
may cause a technological breakthrough. It may be a solution as to why
temperature rises due to friction in turbogenerators (turbine
electrical generators), which usually results in damage.

The research was conducted in the Physical Chemistry Institute of the
Jagellonian University as part of a science research contract signed
between Jerzy Mazur's team and the Rector for Science Research at the
Jagellonian University, Professor Maria Nowakowska.

From: top9 on
http://en.naukawpolsce.pl/naukaen/index.jsp?place=Lead07&news_cat_id=272&news_id=4038&layout=2&page=text

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11