From: Tom Shelton on
On 2009-10-07, Scott M. <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
> Yes, seriously Tom.
>
> The first thing any classic VB developer should learn about VB .NET is that
> it isn't VB 6 and as such, they are going to have to change their coding
> mentality to get the most from .NET.

But using Call does no harm.

> As someone who has trained literally thousands of people on .NET since its
> inception (and a good chunk of those being classic VB developers), I can
> tell you that IMHO not only is the continued use of "Call" not something
> that is taught, but rather it is something that is actively discouraged
> (along with all the other legacy VB stuff).

Not sure why you would actively discourage it really. It does no harm to use
it, and in fact some might say it makes the code more self documenting -
because you have made your intention that you are not dealing with a return
value explicit...

Anyway - the point remains, you can not guess that a code snip-it using
call is VB6 code - especially when that code snipit is 100% valid in either
language - simply by the fact that it contains that keyword. All your
attempts at redirection and appeals to your supposed authority do not change
that simple fact.

--
Tom Shelton
From: Kevin Provance on
"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message
| On 2009-10-07, Scott M. <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
| > Yes, seriously Tom.
| >
| > The first thing any classic VB developer should learn about VB .NET is
that
| > it isn't VB 6 and as such, they are going to have to change their coding
| > mentality to get the most from .NET.
| >

| But using Call does no harm.
|
| > As someone who has trained literally thousands of people on .NET since
its
| > inception (and a good chunk of those being classic VB developers), I can
| > tell you that IMHO not only is the continued use of "Call" not something
| > that is taught, but rather it is something that is actively discouraged
| > (along with all the other legacy VB stuff).
| >

| Not sure why you would actively discourage it really. It does no harm to
use
| it, and in fact some might say it makes the code more self documenting -
| because you have made your intention that you are not dealing with a
return
| value explicit...
|
| Anyway - the point remains, you can not guess that a code snip-it using
| call is VB6 code - especially when that code snipit is 100% valid in
either
| language - simply by the fact that it contains that keyword. All your
| attempts at redirection and appeals to your supposed authority do not
change
| that simple fact.

Holy cow. I actually find myself agreeing with Tom. Mark this day in your
calander folks!

From: Scott M. on

"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message
> On 2009-10-07, Scott M. <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
>> Yes, seriously Tom.
>>
>> The first thing any classic VB developer should learn about VB .NET is
>> that
>> it isn't VB 6 and as such, they are going to have to change their coding
>> mentality to get the most from .NET.
>>

> But using Call does no harm.

But it provides no help either. And, since that leaves no benefit to using
it, it's not encouraged, it's discouraged.

>> As someone who has trained literally thousands of people on .NET since
>> its
>> inception (and a good chunk of those being classic VB developers), I can
>> tell you that IMHO not only is the continued use of "Call" not something
>> that is taught, but rather it is something that is actively discouraged
>> (along with all the other legacy VB stuff).
>>

> Not sure why you would actively discourage it really. It does no harm to
> use
> it, and in fact some might say it makes the code more self documenting -
> because you have made your intention that you are not dealing with a
> return
> value explicit...

Some might argue that (I suppose you are), but the counter argument is that
since nothing is being set to the reutrn value, the return value isn't being
used.

Foo()
Dim result As Boolean = Foo()

It's very obvious which of these statements is using the return value and
which isn't. Call neither hurts or helps the interpretation of this code
and that leaves it as not useful and why would any code that is not useful
be advocated?

> Anyway - the point remains, you can not guess that a code snip-it using
> call is VB6 code - especially when that code snipit is 100% valid in
> either
> language - simply by the fact that it contains that keyword. All your
> attempts at redirection and appeals to your supposed authority do not
> change
> that simple fact.

As I've said, sine the reality is that "Call" is NOT found in the majoity of
..NET code out there, it is reasonable to assume that VB 6 is what's being
discussed when you see a snippet like that.

I get that you and I disagree on this, but in my experience, it's a
reasonable assumption.

What is really disheartening is that others have taken this simple assertion
of mine and felt that it is justification to unload all their pent up hate
on me for no reason whatsoever.

There are so many children in this NG that haven't found a way to express
their disagreement like you have Tom. They do it with personal insults and
assertions about me based on absolutely no facts whatsoever. Maybe they are
practicing for their interview with FOX TV.

-Scott

From: Scott M. on
If that's what you need to feel good about yourself, sure. Now, you can go
back to beating your wife and children.

-Sure

From: Kevin Provance on
| But it provides no help either. And, since that leaves no benefit to
using
| it, it's not encouraged, it's discouraged.

Wow. You just described .Nxt to a T! Kudos!

| There are so many children in this NG that haven't found a way to express
| their disagreement like you have Tom. They do it with personal insults
and
| assertions about me based on absolutely no facts whatsoever. Maybe they
are
| practicing for their interview with FOX TV.

The only person you have to blame for your sour rep is yourself. Nobody
likes a whiner or a cry baby.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Prev: crack for VSFlex8 in VB6.0
Next: Component Handles