From: Mike Williams on
"Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message

>> You can disagree all you want, Scotty. Whether you agree or not means
>> nothing to me because you are a not important and your presence here is
>> not required. Mike
>
> Great. Now that we both agree we could care less about each other,
> maybe you'll stop posting rants at me.

That wasn't a rant, Scotty. It was a pefectly rational response to your own
irrational statement.

Mike

From: Mike Williams on
"Alex Clark" <quanta(a)noemail.noemail> wrote in message

> Now there's some irony for you... Visual "Fred", which is a like such a
> like totally like different
> language from BASIC and looks nothing whatsoever like
> proper BASIC code (if you believe the nonsense spouted
> by the devolutionist extremists in this forum), still supports
> an ancient keword like "Call". And, unfortunately, GoTo
> as well. And, in fact, every other core BASIC keyword.

No it doesn't. Gosub, for example, is not supported in VB.Net. Stop
repeatedly making untrue and ill thought out statements, troll.

Mike

From: mayayana on

> Visual "Fred", which is a like such a like totally like different language
> from BASIC and looks nothing whatsoever like proper BASIC code (if you
> believe the nonsense spouted by the devolutionist extremists in this
forum),
> still supports an ancient keword like "Call". And, unfortunately, GoTo as
> well. And, in fact, every other core BASIC keyword.

So which are you trying to say? You're implying
that VB.Net is still VB, but also that it's evolved
into something else. You can't have it both ways.

In addition to the fact that
"devolution" is not really a word, its implication
is false. Evolution does not imply improvement.
It implies adaptation. People still using VB are
not "de-adapting". We're already adapted to
our needs, else we wouldn't be here. If you've
found that a new type of fin,foot, or wing works
better for you then, by all means, please just go
back to the .Net group and use it -- and stop
looking back, worrying about whether the other
species agree with your new adaptation. It may
be a faster wing for you (all 200+ bloated MB of
it :), but it could be "horns on a rabbit" for others.

We've come to a rather odd point here. I count
no less than 5 full-time DotNetters in this group,
who are here only to sell the idea that VB.Net is
an unconditional improvement over, and the next
version of, VB. Three of those people -- Paul C.,
Bill M. and Scott M. -- are almost always entirely
irrational and don't seem to actually offer anything
useful in *any* newsgroup. (You don't use VB, as
far as I can tell, and Tom, while he tries to be a
reasonable person, is nevertheless lurking here
fulltime just to argue.)

What does all this mean? Is it some sort of
..Net syndrome? Mad Net Disease? Or maybe .Net
is like the Mormons: You have to go out and evangelize
for a period of time? Or maybe this phenomenon is
signalling the beginning of the end of .Net. Surely,
if DotNetters were not at least a bit uncomfortable
about their situation then they wouldn't feel a need
to hang around other newsgroups doing PR. The fact
that a growing number of you prefer to argue with
programmers using other languages rather than work
with your own chosen tool can't be an auspicious sign.
Even cranky, fervent Linux devotees don't go so far
as to hang around other groups to tell people they're
using the wrong tool or product.

From: Dave O. on

"mayayana" <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote in message
> What does all this mean? Is it some sort of
> .Net syndrome? Mad Net Disease? Or maybe .Net
> is like the Mormons: You have to go out and evangelize
> for a period of time?

You know what, I reckon that subconsciously they need to convince themselves
that .NET is worth the time and effort they've put into it. They must
realize that no amount of evangelizing is going to convince the overwhelming
majority of VB6 users to move to .NET, if these VB6 users were going to jump
that way we'd have done it ages ago. They must also realize that one
language is not intrinsically "better" than another, it's "horses for
courses", they might find .NET does what they need and good luck to them if
it's so. I just wish they would go away and leave this NG alone.

Dave O.

From: Paul Clement on
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:45:01 -0400, "mayayana" <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote:

� We've come to a rather odd point here. I count
� no less than 5 full-time DotNetters in this group,
� who are here only to sell the idea that VB.Net is
� an unconditional improvement over, and the next
� version of, VB. Three of those people -- Paul C.,
� Bill M. and Scott M. -- are almost always entirely
� irrational and don't seem to actually offer anything
� useful in *any* newsgroup. (You don't use VB, as
� far as I can tell, and Tom, while he tries to be a
� reasonable person, is nevertheless lurking here
� fulltime just to argue.)

Hmm... why is it that your best intellectual effort always results in marginalizing other people?

Is that the type of behavior *you* would deem rational? ;-)

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: crack for VSFlex8 in VB6.0
Next: Component Handles