From: Bill McCarthy on
Hi Tom,

"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message

> Are you kidding? Seriously, Scott - many VB.CLASSIC developers (including
> myself) used to be in the habbit of using call on almost all calls that
> didn't
> assign a value - simply because the VB.CLASSIC way of handeling parens was
> so
> confusing :) Do you think they are just going to give up that habbit
> overnight? I know lots of my early VB.NET code has lots of Call
> statements in
> it :)

Well if they don't , they should as it is purely superfluous in VB.NET. In
VB6 and earlier, as you noted, you use Call to allow the use of parenthesis
in a method call when a return value is not required, otherwise parenthesis
are omitted for the method call. In VB.NET the parenthesis are always used
, the IDE adding them for you. That is, the confusing nature of VB6 and
earlier with parenthesis and method calls has been fixed with VB.NET.

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2009-10-07, Bill McCarthy <bill(a)localhost.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>

> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Are you kidding? Seriously, Scott - many VB.CLASSIC developers (including
>> myself) used to be in the habbit of using call on almost all calls that
>> didn't
>> assign a value - simply because the VB.CLASSIC way of handeling parens was
>> so
>> confusing :) Do you think they are just going to give up that habbit
>> overnight? I know lots of my early VB.NET code has lots of Call
>> statements in
>> it :)
>>

> Well if they don't , they should as it is purely superfluous in VB.NET. In

Oh, I don't know... Yes - it's superflous, but, there's nothing wrong with
it. I certainly don't use it anymore - but, that's probably because I
switched to C# shortly after I started using .NET :)

--
Tom Shelton
From: Ralph on

"Eduardo" <mm(a)mm.com> wrote in message news:hagjhk$ifi$1(a)aioe.org...
> Bob Butler escribi�:
>
> > Where it gets confusing for people new to VB is when CALL is omitted:
> > DoThing (lngValue)
>
> You can do that only if the function has just one parameter, but if it
> has more than one, you need whether to use Call or to remove the
> parenthesis.
>
> That's in fact the difference with .Nxt, you can use parenthesis even
> with more parameters without the need of the word Call (I researched a
bit).

> PS: And about the other discussion about when the word Call appeared in
> BASIC, at least it was in the TI99/4A (year 1983). A TI99's program
> using Call is posted here:
> http://www.digitalstratum.com/programming/hkmaze_ti_xb
>
> The TI99: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TI-99/4A

The CALL keyword first appeared in Dartmouth BASIC in the 70s (?). Its
original purpose was to support separate procedures opposed to SubRoutines
and to manage returns as well as 'byVal' and 'byRef' with nuances. It was
adopted by ANSI BASIC in the early 80s. In any case every basic that allowed
procedures (functions and subs) was using it by then. But every vendor's
version have had subtle nuances with its use in their own implementation.

I'm not surprised to see it implemented in Visual Basic.Net, nor surprised
to see that the VB.Net version also has subtle nuances when compared to CALL
in VB4 and below, or VB5/6. (or PDS for that matter)

-ralph

From: Eduardo on
Ralph escribi�:

> The CALL keyword first appeared in Dartmouth BASIC in the 70s (?). Its
> original purpose was to support separate procedures opposed to SubRoutines
> and to manage returns as well as 'byVal' and 'byRef' with nuances. It was
> adopted by ANSI BASIC in the early 80s. In any case every basic that allowed
> procedures (functions and subs) was using it by then. But every vendor's
> version have had subtle nuances with its use in their own implementation.
>
> I'm not surprised to see it implemented in Visual Basic.Net, nor surprised
> to see that the VB.Net version also has subtle nuances when compared to CALL
> in VB4 and below, or VB5/6. (or PDS for that matter)

Yes, I think the point could be that in .Nxt it's not really needed at
all on any situation (AFAIK).
It's just there if you would like to put it, but it's redundant.

IN VB6 if you want to put parenthesis when you have more than one
parameter, you have to use Call.
From: Alex Clark on
Now there's some irony for you...

Visual "Fred", which is a like such a like totally like different language
from BASIC and looks nothing whatsoever like proper BASIC code (if you
believe the nonsense spouted by the devolutionist extremists in this forum),
still supports an ancient keword like "Call". And, unfortunately, GoTo as
well. And, in fact, every other core BASIC keyword.

> On 2009-10-05, Scott M. <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
>> Not sure what you mean by reading it as "part of the message" and "didn't
>> post it separately", but again, the keyword "Call" is not used in .NET,
>> so
>> it must be a VB 6 question.
>>
>> -Scott
>
> Call is still valid in VB.NET.
>
> --
> Tom Shelton

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: crack for VSFlex8 in VB6.0
Next: Component Handles