From: mayayana on

> the difference being that microsoft does not track
> personal information in
> this. The lead firefox developer was actually
> encouraging people in a blog
> post to use bing over google because bings privacy policy was better.

That's interesting. But I'd be very surprised
if MS is cleaner than Google when it comes to
tracking people. Both feel free to collect information
without asking. And don't both phishing filters
call home to check the mal-site database? Given
that targetted advertising has become the latest
holy grail (desperate target?) for online profits,
I think one has to assume that any company with
possible access to personal info. is collecting that
info. (And I don't believe for a minute that *any* of
them are truly "anonymizing" the data. That would
be cutting off their own income potential.)

I guess the two companies have a somewhat
different orientation, though. Microsoft is just
focussed on owning every tech. product that you
use. The Googliacs, on the other hand, seem to think
they represent the next step in human evolution,
which they "generously" plan to make manifest.
Microsoft wants to sell you a "smart monitor" to
order toilet paper while you sit on the toilet seat.
But Google's vision is far grander. They'll make
a discount coupon appear in the toilet paper roll
in the very moment that you reach for it....while
also telling you which friends and celebrities are
currently on the toilet. :)

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-02-25, mayayana <mayayana(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> the difference being that microsoft does not track
>> personal information in
>> this. The lead firefox developer was actually
>> encouraging people in a blog
>> post to use bing over google because bings privacy policy was better.
>>

> That's interesting. But I'd be very surprised
> if MS is cleaner than Google when it comes to
> tracking people. Both feel free to collect information
> without asking. And don't both phishing filters
> call home to check the mal-site database? Given
> that targetted advertising has become the latest
> holy grail (desperate target?) for online profits,
> I think one has to assume that any company with
> possible access to personal info. is collecting that
> info. (And I don't believe for a minute that *any* of
> them are truly "anonymizing" the data. That would
> be cutting off their own income potential.)
>
> I guess the two companies have a somewhat
> different orientation, though. Microsoft is just
> focussed on owning every tech. product that you
> use. The Googliacs, on the other hand, seem to think
> they represent the next step in human evolution,
> which they "generously" plan to make manifest.
> Microsoft wants to sell you a "smart monitor" to
> order toilet paper while you sit on the toilet seat.
> But Google's vision is far grander. They'll make
> a discount coupon appear in the toilet paper roll
> in the very moment that you reach for it....while
> also telling you which friends and celebrities are
> currently on the toilet. :)

LOL... I think we finally found something to agree on. The fact is that I
don't really trust either one of them - but, I happen to distrust google more
simply because their whole buisness model is about trying to get your info...

--
Tom Shelton
From: Eduardo on
Mike Williams escribi�:

>> (PS: but you complain about MS, why
>> I can't complain about Google?)
>
> You can, Eduardo. I'm not saying that you can't complain about Google,
> I'm just pointng out that in my opinion Micro$oft are just as bad (okay,
> since you insist, I'll got for "almost as bad") ;-)

LOL
From: Eduardo on
Eduardo escribi�:
> Mike Williams escribi�:
>
>>> (PS: but you complain about MS, why
>>> I can't complain about Google?)
>>
>> You can, Eduardo. I'm not saying that you can't complain about Google,
>> I'm just pointng out that in my opinion Micro$oft are just as bad
>> (okay, since you insist, I'll got for "almost as bad") ;-)
>
> LOL

Joke:

A -Hi
B -Hi, how are you?