From: kpg on
OK, That was fun...

Yeah, somewhat guilty of 'opening the gates', but this is a serious subject
that I am now dealing with.

I'm getting tired of
installation/compatability/networking/what_OS_do_you_have issues with my
clients. This has absolutely nothing to do with vb6 I suppose, except that
the software is written in vb6 and assembler (didn't see that coming, did
you?).

I ran into a big wall with 16-bit ASM code in Vista 64 but found a
workaround. Now my clients 'expect' the software to provide access to the
stored data from any computer/laptop/remote office on the planet.

Plus Norton, McAfee and the like cause havoc on posting to web services
(essential to my software).

And I'm convinced Windows 7 doen not have support for actually connecting
to a printer.

Users are (if possible) are getting dumber, and I feel like I am too.

So I'm thinking web app. In the past this was always just a pipe dream,
but browsers are considerably more sophisticated theses days and a rich UI
is very doable.

I guess I'm asking myself (out loud) if its time to move on. If business
oriented desktop apps are dying a natural death as the web becomes more
viable. Fully 70% of my tech calls deal with installation and networking
issues. So I like the 'zero' install concept of a web app, if your browser
runs, so will my software.

Oddly, in an industry whose norm is change I really don't like change all
that much - MS drives me nuts with VS2003, 2005, 2008, 2010, each new
version breaking things in the old even with supposed with side-by-side
compatibility - vb6 has provided a nice, quiet, protected haven from change
- but it is getting harder and harder to justify.

So my intent was not be a troll, and I'm sure this has been discussed ad
nauseam in one form or another, I'm just involved in my own internal
conflict where on one hand vb6 has been a good companion and business
partner and on the other I see the inevitable day coming when it will no
longer be able to make the cut.

If I could snap my fingers and have a full featured, robust, web app
version of my software with a slick modern interface and all my tech calls
were "how do you do X in the software" I would be a happy man.

wow...I am off topic.
From: Karl E. Peterson on
kpg brought next idea :
> So I like the 'zero' install concept of a web app, if your browser
> runs, so will my software.

I think the only response to that can be, "the grass is always
greener..."

I say this remembering I got an email from Google this morning saying
they'd no longer be supporting IE6. How fast do you want to set that
treadmill? <bg>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Saga on
Gee :-| I still have IE6 on my work PC and Google is not the only one
no longer "supporting" this browser, as the number of websites that look
"funny"and behave "wierdly" seems to grow as the days go by. I
wonder how long MS Windows Updates will work with this browser.
Saga

From: C. Kevin Provance on

| Maybe you should be directing people to the petition, rather than
| telling 'em to go f___ themselves?
|
| http://www.saveie6.com/ ;-)

Any deny a MSFT evangelist the opportunity to parrot MSFT's mission
statement? Nawwwwww.

From: mayayana on
> Gee :-| I still have IE6 on my work PC and Google is not the only one
> no longer "supporting" this browser, as the number of websites that look
> "funny"and behave "wierdly" seems to grow as the days go by. I
> wonder how long MS Windows Updates will work with this browser.

Google has said that only Google apps are not
going to support IE6. I have seen talk on Slashdot,
though. There seems to be a movement among
web designers and others to specifically try to
get people to stop using IE6.

I actually target only IE6. I have to write a
different page for IE6 because it lacks :hover
support. And since I have to do that anyway, I
skip the DOCTYPE tag, which according to MS
is supposed to render pages like IE6 in IE7 and
IE8. That way I don't have to play around trying
to get the layout to work in all IE versions.