From: Schmidt on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > Here's the Download-Link to a small VB-Demo
> > (including the needed olelib.tlb from EdanMo for the IDE).
> > www.datenhaus.de/Downloads/MozillaRegfree.zip
> >
> > The included VB-Binary ("Mozilla.exe") should
> > work directly from the App.Path, which contains
> > all the mozilla-xulrunner-libs and the mozilla
> > "base-environment-folders".
>
> Which amounts to a fairly hefty "framework" (sorry <g>)
> to distribute, but still.
Yep, though not to interchange with "my other stuff" - this
folder really only contains "pure mozilla libs" - and
only "pure VB-Code" - other than the two needed
typelibs there's nothing else involved, not even
the DirectCOM.dll, which normally provides the
"regfree instancing APIs" - in this Demo I've included
the regfree instancing routine as plain VB-source,
since it can rely on a "stable ClassID".

But you're right, Browsers contain a whole lot of stuff
nowadays and 8MB of libs is not that small - but
if you bite the bullet, you can then rely on, that
your "Browsing-Component" will just work - no
dependencies which could "act strange" on your
target-system.

Probably not for each and everyone, but there
are usecases for sure (CD-Catalogs, running without
install, depending on a HTML-"presentation-layer" -
maybe Help-(Desk-)Systems ... USB-stick-Apps,
which need to run "everywhere" - this kind of stuff...

Olaf

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tom Shelton wrote:
> On 2010-02-05, Karl E Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
>> Bob Butler wrote:
>>> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> <cut>

>>> LOL. I love it when they try to get me to install silverfish just to get
>>> some basic info. I haven't found anything yet that I need that badly from
>>> them.
>>
>> Ditto that. Not a single thing.
>>
>> What a waste it is, to lose one's empire. How true that is.
>
> I use it all the time - netflix, watch it now :) The player uses
> silverlight. Of course, now that they have the plugin to windows media player
> - I actually use that more...

Huh. Netflix, eh? Well, there's another "recreational" thing I don't
do with computers. (Last time I bought a TV was 1983, so it seems to
be lacking a VGA input port.) Pretty sure I'd have to reject it on the
silverfish grounds though, were I to care.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tom Shelton wrote:
> On 2010-02-05, Karl E Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
>> Ralph wrote:

>>> Not too long ago I would have said - "will never happen" ...
>>> but then I said the same about leaving Win2000 for my personal PC. (Hmmm is
>>> that a double adjective or something?)
>>>
>>> I truly believed that they would have to pull this ancient O/S from my cold
>>> dead fingers. BUT I've run completely out of options. Nothing is supported
>>> any more.
>>
>> I only gave up W2K about 2 or 3 years ago, myself. Now I'm on Win7x64.
>> Go figure, huh?
>>
>> I read a piece the other day saying Chrome is going to overtake both
>> Firefox and IE in the next year or two. (Not until the provide a
>> highly capable AdBlock extension, IMO!)
>
> I completely don't understand that. Chrome, while it is fast - I personally
> don't like it.

I don't really like it, either. But the author had some good points,
particularly about bloat and speed.

> And if there is one company on this planet that I would trust
> less the MS - it's Google. I agree with Steve Job's on Google's "don't be
> evil"... "It's Bullshxt".

Not me. I'd far rather Google inherit the Earth, than either Jobs or
Ballmer, myself. They "get" it. <shrug>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Schmidt wrote:
> But you're right, Browsers contain a whole lot of stuff
> nowadays and 8MB of libs is not that small - but
> if you bite the bullet, you can then rely on, that
> your "Browsing-Component" will just work - no
> dependencies which could "act strange" on your
> target-system.

That *is* just really cool, yeah. And that's totally independent of
any version(s) of Firefox that may be installed on the same machine,
too, right? Yeah, totally cool. :-)

> Probably not for each and everyone, but there
> are usecases for sure (CD-Catalogs, running without
> install, depending on a HTML-"presentation-layer" -
> maybe Help-(Desk-)Systems ... USB-stick-Apps,
> which need to run "everywhere" - this kind of stuff...

Oh yeah!

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: C. Kevin Provance on
| Not me. I'd far rather Google inherit the Earth, than either Jobs or
| Ballmer, myself. They "get" it. <shrug>

I think I heard someplace the meek shall inherit the Earth. That probably
means .Nxtters. <g>