From: Schmidt on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> And that's totally independent of any version(s) of Firefox
> that may be installed on the same machine, too, right?

Yes, have it working here in parallel to a "normal"
Firefox-install as well as to the latest nightly of a
Firefox-MineField.
But also already tested on a completely "FireFox-free"
system - as well as on a "completely browserless" Linux/Wine -
all seems to work well.

An information about the behaviour on Win7-64
would be great (don't have such an install here yet).

Olaf

From: C. Kevin Provance on
I'm going to have a go at this too, if you don't mind. Looks wickedly cool!

From: Tom Shelton on

--
Tom Shelton
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Schmidt wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>> And that's totally independent of any version(s) of Firefox
>> that may be installed on the same machine, too, right?
>
> Yes, have it working here in parallel to a "normal"
> Firefox-install as well as to the latest nightly of a
> Firefox-MineField.
> But also already tested on a completely "FireFox-free"
> system - as well as on a "completely browserless" Linux/Wine -
> all seems to work well.
>
> An information about the behaviour on Win7-64
> would be great (don't have such an install here yet).

I just extracted and ran it. All the initial demos appeared to do what
they said they would. The acid test scored 93/100.

I started hitting a few other websites, and it seemed to function
perfectly! Even watching youtubes. :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Schmidt on

> > An information about the behaviour on Win7-64
> > would be great (don't have such an install here yet).
>
> I just extracted and ran it. All the initial demos appeared to do
> what they said they would. The acid test scored 93/100.
>
> I started hitting a few other websites, and it seemed to function
> perfectly!

Ah - well, thanks for confirmation (regarding Win7-64, right?).

> Even watching youtubes. :-)
Yep, just a note about that - the needed Flash-Plugin
is independent (not included) in any Firefox/XulRunner-
"binary-set". Adobe provides an Installer, which puts
the FlashPlugin (in non-ActiveX-"mozilla-nsPlugin-format")
into "some place in the Win-OS" where any non-MS-
Browsers (Firefox + GoogleChrome + WebKit + Opera)
are able to find it, when they look for this stuff.

So, should there be a requirement, which relies on
"Streaming-Video-Support over Flash", then this
is not covered/included in the current 8MB-redistributable
in my "xulrunner-zip". Flash needs to be "there" on
the target-system (or installed on request).

But by looking at the sources - what *is* built-in
in the 8MB-set, is support for the new HTML5
<Video> tag. That means, e.g. a CD-catalog-App,
which wants to embed and run Video-content
within a "catalog-page", could circumvent the
Flash-necessities/dependencies, by providing Video-
Files on the CD which are encoded with the free
Theora-codec (with its sound-contents encoded
in *.ogg format, but that is IMO implicit when
encoding to a Theora-Video-stream).

You can verify that yourself (Ogg-Theora-support over
the HTML5 <video>tag), by using the MiniBrowser,
surfing to this Demo-URL:
http://www.cognitiones.de/doku.php/ogg_theora_im_firefox

In supporting browser-engines, you should see the video-
content-window - in all other browsers you should get
an appropriate information for their "lack of support".

Olaf