From: zzbunker@netscape.net on

virtualadepts(a)gmail.com wrote:
> I'm designing a free energy machine that uses totally renewable and
> free sources of energy. How it works is your burn wood in a stove, and
> boil water using the heat generated from the wood fire. The steam from
> the water that is being boiled is used to power a steam turbine, which
> generates electricity. The electricity is then stored in a battery,
> which is used to power your home.
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on how to build a prototype of this
> design?

Call The EPA and Jimmy Carter on the Batphone.
It's a free call.

From: Karipidu Marianna on

<virtualadepts(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm designing a free energy machine that uses totally renewable and
> free sources of energy.

Hmmm...Free sources of energy? The air or the
sun. The wind-generators exploit the speed of
the wind to produce electric energy with the
rotation of their coils. Or we can get free energy
from the solar radiation with photovoltaics.

From: Aristos on
virtualade scripsit:

>I'm designing a free energy machine that uses totally renewable and
>free sources of energy. How it works is your burn wood in a stove, and
>boil water using the heat generated from the wood fire.
> The steam from
>the water that is being boiled is used to power a steam turbine, which
>generates electricity. The electricity is then stored in a battery,
>which is used to power your home.

I've looked into this and did some calculations. It was easy to
determine how many BTUs you would get from cordwood, how much you would
need to boil a gallon of water, and the efficiencies of ovens and your
steam turbine. However, I was at a loss to determine how much water
you would require to power the turbine, and, more importantly, the
temperature of the water.

My advice is, unf., rather simple:

1)Get as efficient a stove as possible. Most stoves have a 10-30%
efficiency. An excellent high combustion stove can net you a 70%
efficiency.

2)Burn as dry a wood as possible. Typical firewood can cut your
available BTUs/lb. from 8,600 to 3,400.

3)Boil as pure a water as possible. Trace salts are going to destroy
anything metal in your apparatus.

4)A backpressure steam turbine is the most efficient way of generating
electricity ever, with 75%-90% efficiency.

5)Get a good, solid background in engineering before deciding to scald
the skin off of your body by fooling around with high temperature steam
turbines. Or better yet, acquire minions.

If you do manage to get a ready available source of cheap dry wood,
this method is actually a very efficient method of powering a small
arcology. I wouldn't use it to power an individual home. Too much air
pollution.

In _How to Convert Wood into Charcoal & Electricity_ by Richard H.
Buxton, Buxton converts the carbon monoxide and hydrogen given off from
wood combustion into fuel and then uses the fuel to run a generator,
which seems safer for a novice.

From: Aristos on
The Ghost in the Machine scripsit:

>And wood costs how much again?

About $100 a cord. A cord gives you anywhere between 2,500-4,400 lbs
of wood, depending on the species of the wood.

From: Tom on

<virtualadepts(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm designing a free energy machine that uses totally renewable and
> free sources of energy. How it works is your burn wood in a stove, and
> boil water using the heat generated from the wood fire. The steam from
> the water that is being boiled is used to power a steam turbine, which
> generates electricity. The electricity is then stored in a battery,
> which is used to power your home.
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on how to build a prototype of this
> design?

It's been very extensively explored.

Most physicists are pretty sure a "free energy" machine can't work because
it violates the first law of thermodynamics.

However, that hasn't stopped the eternal procession of perpetual motion
machine inventors.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm

But if you don't choose to let a little detail like the fact that your
machine doesn't actually work get in your way, you could be a successful
free energy poineer in your own right. Check this out.

http://www.phact.org/e/con_man.htm