From: Martin Swain on
Scott Nudds wrote:
> "Tom" <askpermission(a)comcast.net> wrote
>
>>Most physicists are pretty sure a "free energy" machine can't work because
>>it violates the first law of thermodynamics.
>

> There was a time not long ago when most physicists were pretty sure that
> Newtonian mechanics was correct as well.
>
> It is entirely unclear to me why anyone would expect the laws of statistical
> mechanics to apply to a realm where the laws of mechanics do not apply.
>
> Perhsps you can enlighten us as to why this must be the case Tom.
>
> I await your response with baited breah.

You haven't explained your problem with that statement well enough
to respond to. If you could answer a couple questions it might serve
to shed some light.

1. How do you think relativity effects the first law of thermodynamics
in such a way as to render it possible to build a free energy
machine?

2. Assuming the previous statement to be true, why hasn't anyone built
one yet?

Also, here is the first law of thermodynamics, just to save you the
trouble of looking it up.

"
The increase in the internal energy of a system is equal to the amount
of energy added to the system by heating, minus the amount lost in the
form of work done by the system on its surroundings.
"

It's pretty obvious, at least to me, why this indicates that a free
energy machine can't be created. I fail to see however how it is
supposed to be broken by relativity, but then I am no expert.

From: Scott Nudds on

> > It is entirely unclear to me why anyone would expect the laws of
> > statistical
> > mechanics to apply to a realm where the laws of mechanics do not apply.
> >
> > Perhsps you can enlighten us as to why this must be the case Tom.
> >
> > I await your response with baited breah.

"Archangel" <Archangel(a)nulldev.com> wrote
> I thought it was a good post until you invoked the stupidity demon.

You were and still are free to clarify the issue of the applicability
macroscopic statistical mechanics to non-mechanical quantum-mechanical
systems Archangel.

Perhaps you can provide a proof that doesn't require a redefinition of
entropy.

I note that you have elected not to do so.

From: Scott Nudds on

"Richard Tobin" <richard(a)cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
> It's more common to wait with bated breath. Or have you been eating a
> lot of cheese?

Yes... Yes I have as a matter of fact. And thank you for asking.

I also have a nice crop of fruit flies growing in my kitchen.

Mmmmmmm Yummy, Yummy Fruit Flies.

Oddly, and contrary to popular sentiment, my fruit flies don't like
banannas. I think they are the decendents of native Floridians.

From: Scott Nudds on

> "There was a time not long ago when most physicists were pretty
> sure that Newtonian mechanics was correct as well."

"Kore" wrote
> How is Newtonian mechanics incorrect? It may not work well when
> dealing with the very small (subatomic level) or the very fast (going
> towards light speed), but here in the world I always inhabit, it works
> pretty well.

But not exactly, which makes it incorrect in the same way that .99999999 =
1 is incorrect.

"Kore" wrote
> In this world as well, I have yet to encounter anything
> free, that is, which doesn't have a price or a cost.

Then perhaps you should start a movement to banish the word from the
English Language.

Stupid... Stupid... Kore.

From: Scott Nudds on

"Martin Swain" wrote:
> You haven't explained your problem with that statement well enough
> to respond to.

It's quite simple. Statistical mechanics is based on the idea of counting
the definitive states of aggregates of real world objects, assuming things
like the equality of any two energy states, and then drawing infrences and
conclusions from the statistical nature of these systems.

In quantum mechanics, a system can be in a multitude of states - perhaps
an infinite number at any given instant, and individual objects may or may
not exist at any particular time. Further there are confounding
relationships like the existance of vaccum energy, that can perterb the
system, as well as exclusionary rules like Pauli that in no way make it
clear that the concepts of thermodynamics apply to these systems.

In particular the orgin of the universe is a spectacular violation of the
laws of thermodynamics.

You are asked to provide a thermodynamic explanation for the origin of the
universe, and to provide a reason based on thermodynamics that energy can
not be extracted from the vacuum.

Now given that the universe exists, and that energy has already been
extracted from the vacuum, I suspect you are going to have a hard time of
it.

I await your response with laughter.

"Martin Swain" wrote:
> 1. How do you think relativity effects the first law of thermodynamics
> in such a way as to render it possible to build a free energy
> machine?

Do we assume the existance of negative mass? Snicker.

Relativity requires that gravity waves propagate in space as quadrapole
distortions in space and time. It is theoretically possible to use a large
mass and it's associated inertial momentum to extract energy from these
distortions as they pass through the mass, stretching and compacting it as
it passes.

Energy is thereby extracted from the vacuum of space.

Other arguments based on relativity and quantum mechanics require that
forces of action/reaction become uncoupled. Pushes can for example be
devoid of pulls. A particle A for example can be pulled toward particle B
without particle B feeling any force from particle A. This is a direct
result of the finite speed of propagation of force fields. This also
implies immediately that the vacuum of space holds a sea of energy and that
this energy from time to time is used to accelerate objects and hence is
extracted from this underlying free energy sea.

> Also, here is the first law of thermodynamics, just to save you the
> trouble of looking it up.
>
> "
> The increase in the internal energy of a system is equal to the amount
> of energy added to the system by heating, minus the amount lost in the
> form of work done by the system on its surroundings.
> "
>
> It's pretty obvious, at least to me, why this indicates that a free
> energy machine can't be created. I fail to see however how it is
> supposed to be broken by relativity, but then I am no expert.

That's nice. And as such is wrong, and has been proven so experimentally.
In fact if it were not the case the PC you are using now would not be
capable of functioning since the transistors it uses to compute would not
work.

Vacuum energy my boy is very real, and most probably the reason for all
quantum mechanical wierdness, with the exception of quantization.

I would add, that it is also the origin of momentum, and most probably the
cosmological constant and the origin of the universe as you probably
misunderstand it.