First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
low end linux * follow up*
philo wrote: philo wrote: I had posted a while back concerning setting up some low-end Linux machines.I now have several p-II 333mhz with 128 megs of RAM Vector Linux 6 installed on three "old junkers" P-II-333 4 gig HD 128 megs of RAM Celeron 400 4 gig HD ... 25 Jan 2010 20:43
Dell latitude 520 wireless
Hello, I am doing some charity work and all they have is Dell Latitude 520 laptops with a wireless connection. Do you know of any distribution that will work out of the box? There is no way to get hard wire access for divers. thanks bosco ... 27 Jan 2010 01:34
Lower resource linux
Moe Trin wrote: "The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry is its continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering gains made by the computer hardware industry..." -- Henry Petroski Henry Petroski (born 1942) is an American civil engineering professor at Duke Univ... 26 Jan 2010 22:17
Monitor goes to power save standby
I have OpenSuse 11.0 installed. After a set time the monitor goes to standby and a key pressed or movement of the mouse must be done to bring the monitor active. I do not want this to happen. I have look in Yast2 for power settings and have not found anyway to change this power saving setup. Yast2 does not have a ... 26 Jan 2010 08:42
Lower resource linux (was: low end linux)
Responding to Grant (and the topic in general): [...] Try iso9660 - it's even better. Mounting a conventional file system 'read-only' and 'noatime' may also be a simple solution. I agree, for a kiosk style web browser box -- simply hit the reset button to reboot after crash. Opera has kiosk mode. ... 25 Jan 2010 17:19
Editing large mpg files - Problem identified
Responding to Mike Jones: Responding to Mike Jones: I have an mpg file bigger than 4GB. (mplayer recording of an old VCR tape). I can play it in mplayer and Xine, but can't open it in avidemux to edit it. Suggestions? Now here's a thing... Record VCR feed using mencod... 24 Jan 2010 12:25
low end linux
I had posted a while back concerning setting up some low-end Linux machines.I now have several p-II 333mhz with 128 megs of RAM They will be for a non-profit organization short on funds. The machines will be used by the members strictly for "surfing" the net insure the "work" machines do not get tampered wi... 2 Feb 2010 14:25
SSD filesystem recommendations?
I'll shortly be getting a new office machine with a SSD for usr and home (with a big data RAID). The SSD's onboard ontroller will be Samsung. What recommendations do you have for filesystem: XFS? EXT3? 4? JFS? Why? (I'm not succeeding in googling comparative benchmarks...) -- Carlie Coats ... 26 Jan 2010 12:02
can not access GMail chat
"richard", thou grotesque trunk of humours. Boils and plagues plaster you over, that you may be abhorred farther than seen and one infect another against the wind a mile. Ye aspersed: On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 03:25:35 -0500, don wrote: My friend tries to chat with me from gmail chat but it bring up an err... 18 Jan 2010 09:42
Microsoft confirms IE zero-day behind Google attack
"Al Smith", thou drain-inhabiting nature's natural. There's small choice in rotten apples. Ye pronounced: No, it's because software was so damned buggy and problematical in the early days of personal computing, that if the software writers had been held legally responsible for the damage they caused, the so... 18 Jan 2010 08:36